Indigo and Home Security

Posted on
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:20 pm
robertkl03 offline

Indigo and Home Security

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here so it may be a little long. I haven't quite got Indigo yet, but getting ready to purchase. I built a new home a few months ago and have been preparing with a few toys before getting my software setup. I currently have a nest hello doorbell, A media closet with all of my HDMI's and Cat 6 wires homerunned in there. Currently a logitech harmony remote is controlling one receiver which is managing my xbox, nvidia shield, apple tv, etc. I have a Toughdog Camera System (basically a wired camera system with a dvr). I also have a Myq garage setup and a Lutron Caseta Pro hub with dimmers and on/off switches scattered throughout the house.

My next two big project include adding some ubiquiti network toys and start integrating some additional room sensors and an alarm system.

Now here is where i need the help. The current alarm system is a NAPCO alarm module with a few presence sensors and hardwired contacts to doors and windows. I just to see if there are any recommendations on a security company that i can connect for monitoring and also integrate into Indigo for rules/home automation. Or if most people are going without companies, just the different options recommended.

Thank You in advance!
Robert

Posted on
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo and Home Security

I don't know anything about the NAPCO system though it doesn't appear to be rebranded hardware for one of the panels for which there is a plugin. Many of us use DSC panels (I replaced the junk that came with my house with a DSC) which can connect to Indigo via a serial module. It offers great control and flexibility in integration.

And the DSC panels are 1) very DIY friendly and 2) very supported by alarm monitoring companies.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 pm
robertkl03 offline

Thanks for the quick reply Jay! I think DSC will be the easiest to integrate and have monitored. Do you know if the DSC touchscreen keypad are also compatible with Indigo? or do the keypads not matter as much as the actual panel?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:42 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks for the quick reply Jay! I think DSC will be the easiest to integrate and have monitored. Do you know if the DSC touchscreen keypad are also compatible with Indigo? or do the keypads not matter as much as the actual panel?

It is the panel/board that actually matters for integration with Indigo; note you will likely need to get a Envisalink board (http://www.eyezon.com/ and then integration is a snap.

On a side note, I have one of the touchscreen keypads and mine is complete garbage. Screen never was great and now has lines all over the place (messed up LCD) with barely any use. Now, granted, the screen is pretty old relatively speaking (2013-ish) so maybe improved by now... However, it was nice to be able to get a bit more information such as the zone names and values compared to some of the basic keypads. SO, your mileage may vary.

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:16 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FYI, I purchased a DSC IT-100 serial module rather than the Envisalink, which adds a serial port to the panel that you can then connect to using a serial to USB cable (my Indigo server Mac is in the same closet as the panel so they're close enough). I think some of the Power series panels come with them, but they are easy enough to add.

Keypad type is irrelevant - basically, the IT-100 or Envisalink interfaces to the panel somewhat like a keypad, but any other ones on the system don't change how they operate. I have 1 wired keypad and 1 wireless for a location that didn't have wires (neither are LCD) and they both seem well constructed (having a wireless one while doing the setup was very convenient since I could sit on the couch while working on the programming).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:20 pm
durosity offline

Just a word of caution on the DSC panels.. unless something’s changed recently (I’ve not had time to keep up to date with such things) the DSC Neo series is NOT compatible and you’d want to get the older PowerSeries modules.. I’d probably recommend the 1864 panel as you can add up to 64 zones to that (with extenders). I’d also recommend the IT100 over the envisalink unless you want some of the extra features it supports as I find the IT-100 much faster for triggering things like lights. Of course YMMV but certainly that was my experience running both of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1