Moving to 2018 Mac Mini

Posted on
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:29 pm
GlennNZ offline

Moving to 2018 Mac Mini

Hi all,

Thought would upgrade late 2012 mac mini with latest and greatest, leaving me with a 'development' mini down the track.

new Mac mini 2018 with new IP address and leaving old Indigo Mac mini with old IP.

All completed and seems to be almost 100% functional - but certainly needed the 1/2 day that I had set aside!

Issues:

Upgraded to Mojave 10.4.1 - 3.6 gigs of downloads before could do much else.

As recommended:
Copied /Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.2 folder from old mac to New Mac.
Then ran 7.2 installer to update disk permissions.

A few plugins (some of which mine :oops: ) stored data in User/Documents/ and Indigo was a sea of red before copied these folders over as well.
(I'll look at updating mine - most of mine is image/storage of plugin generated content, but iRoomba Plugin does store config here :? )

Still had some issues and discovered that Mojave appeared to be using iCloud Documents as default - so User/Documents didn't exist.
Needed to turn iCloud Documents off within iCloud settings - on doing so Documents folder appeared.

Whole lot of plugin Config paths to update.

Sonos plugin - major repeated exception which couldn't fix.
https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=20655&start=15
This advice of adding try/except appears to have resolved for me.

Few custom wifi serial devices expecting set IP address for Indigo - which needed to update/took a while to track down.

Alexa Plugin - Host IP update needed - manually deleting all alexa devices to see whether can get going again currently.
Home Kit - Host IP update needed. Needed to run advanced options - reset up properities - which fixed.
BlueIris - needed to update save paths, and form within BlueIris the trigger IP address back to the new Indigo

RFXCOM - Small issue with the USB ports.... Couldn't plug it in!

They have changed the USB port orientation - and the Gen5 ZWave stick blocks the other port.
Didnt really want to use Hub given previous reports of issues, but found a USB extender cable in 'draw of cables' and using that.
(might be usb1/2 not sure- probably should replace with something newer)

With port extender - plugs in and functioning fine, along with Gen5 stick - no Z-wave issues as yet.

Also then had issues - and found hadn't disabled sleep within Mac - did this and behaviour improved.

So:
1. Check icloud Documents off, and copy any indigo based Documents located files to new mac as well
2. Expect to spend sometime updating plugin config paths/save paths
3. Need a USB Extender if planning on connecting Gen5 Z-stick and anything else to mac!
4, Don't forget to disable sleep

All and all - more difficult than assumed it would be and hopefully a few pointers here for those making the change. (will update if discover anything else)

Glenn

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:03 am
Redburga offline

Re: Moving to 2018 Mac Mini

Thanks for the details on your move to a 2018 Mac Mini. I have a very simple setup: no plugins at this time. My big problem is figuring out how to disable sleep on a 2018 Mac Mini with Mojave. They got rid of the control to stop the computer from sleeping. How did you disable sleep?

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:04 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Redburga wrote:
Thanks for the details on your move to a 2018 Mac Mini. I have a very simple setup: no plugins at this time. My big problem is figuring out how to disable sleep on a 2018 Mac Mini with Mojave. They got rid of the control to stop the computer from sleeping. How did you disable sleep?

So the Energy Saver preference in System Preferences doesn't look like this for you:

ss219.png
ss219.png (146.8 KiB) Viewed 3114 times

I ask because that's what I see on a 2012 mini running Mojave.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:56 pm
mat offline

Jay,

Mine looks like yours on a 2018 mini

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:55 am
Redburga offline

I attached a picture of what my Energy Saver looks like. I found a post on Stack Exchange from a few years ago talking about this, so I guess it's not new with Mojave.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... references

Here's what someone said in that post that's interesting: "Applications need to lodge power assertions with OS X that explicitly stop the computer sleeping. " Does that mean Indigo needs to be making a power assertion so the computer won't sleep?

My old 2011 Mac Mini had the option to never sleep.

So, I'm not sure what's up with the new arrangement. Timers don't work very well if the computer is asleep. My setup is Insteon devices and I'm trying to get some devices to turn on and off at specific times. I had it working fairly well on the old Mac Mini.
Attachments
enersav.png
enersav.png (51.24 KiB) Viewed 3035 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:40 am
autolog offline

You just need to tick the checkbox that says Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off and also don't tick the checkbox Enable Power Nap.

Your computer won't sleep then and you definitely want it to be awake 24/7 when running Indigo. :)

Posted on
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
You just need to tick the checkbox that says Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off and also don't tick the checkbox Enable Power Nap.

Your computer won't sleep then and you definitely want it to be awake 24/7 when running Indigo. :)

+1 - this is how I have my development MacBook Pro set and it never goes to sleep (though the displays do). I assumed that removing the Computer slider was only on MacBooks but apparently not.

The Indigo Server application already tells macOS that it doesn't support power nap, but unchecking the box is probably the best course of action in any event.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:22 am
Redburga offline

Thanks. I changed the settings. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:02 am
peszko offline

I have this problem with mac mini 2019. I run amphetamine to prevent this, but sometimes it crashes, and then I have issues connecting to indigo, and other strange things like connection issues with serial ports (dsc and indigo modem). I set the mac not to sleep other then the display, and have power nap off.

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:33 pm
Different Computers offline

If you're still having trouble with the computer going to sleep, at the command line you can do

Code: Select all
sudo systemsetup -setsleep Never

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 pm
peszko offline

I think I might have figure out why mine insists on sleeping. I have it connected to a UPS including the USB cable, so the OS considered it self on battery (possibly a bug of how UPS reports its state). It seems that if the computer is on battery power, the OS is a lot more aggressive in sleeping. I disconnected the USB cable and will see if I get the sleeping again.

Page 1 of 1