HomeKit Bridge Updates Coming

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

I've been away from Indigo for a minute because real life (you know, the stuff that actually pays the bills versus the stuff I do on the side for hobby) has been a bit crazy and keeping all of my free Indigo coding time tied up. I have a bunch of updates I am going to try to crank out in the next couple of weeks. I haven't been all that concerned because what is out right now is super stable and has been working quite well, but there are some new features I want to incorporate and an update to Indigo-Homebridge that I want to put into place.

So, just hold on to your pantyhose for a bit and I will be getting to all of this stuff soon.

I've gotten some fairly entitled and rude PM's and tickets on GitHub about how I "Need to do this and that and this just must be done right away" and I honestly don't appreciate that very much considering the hundreds of hours poured into the project - that is working pretty damn well right now - at no cost to anyone ;).

Personally I can say that I haven't had a single HKB problem on my end since the last update (and actually before that) and I use the living crap out of it. In fact it is my only interface to Indigo for 99% of everything I do so I don't think there are any stability issues that are an emergency to address.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 am
durosity offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
I've been away from Indigo for a minute because real life (you know, the stuff that actually pays the bills versus the stuff I do on the side for hobby) has been a bit crazy and keeping all of my free Indigo coding time tied up. I have a bunch of updates I am going to try to crank out in the next couple of weeks. I haven't been all that concerned because what is out right now is super stable and has been working quite well, but there are some new features I want to incorporate and an update to Indigo-Homebridge that I want to put into place.

So, just hold on to your pantyhose for a bit and I will be getting to all of this stuff soon.

I've gotten some fairly entitled and rude PM's and tickets on GitHub about how I "Need to do this and that and this just must be done right away" and I honestly don't appreciate that very much considering the hundreds of hours poured into the project - that is working pretty damn well right now - at no cost to anyone ;).

Personally I can say that I haven't had a single HKB problem on my end since the last update (and actually before that) and I use the living crap out of it. In fact it is my only interface to Indigo for 99% of everything I do so I don't think there are any stability issues that are an emergency to address.

I’m shocked and appalled by this. It’s completely unacceptable for people to PM you demanding things are fixed or added immediately. It’s rudeness of the highest level. Only *I* am allowed to make such demands of your time. And I demand you fly over here and fix something that I’m yet to identify. Feel free to use the indigo jet.

In all seriousness though HKB is stunningly stable. I seldom ever have any issues with it, which I have to say is the exact opposite of the Tado HomeKit integration that seems to get its knickers in a twist if my router reboots. Your efforts are most definitely appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:47 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: HomeKit Bridge Updates Coming

durosity wrote:
Tado HomeKit integration that seems to get its knickers in a twist if my router reboots.

Another project that has taken a back seat to real life and HKB but is still on my road map when I get these projects wrapped up.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:17 pm
durosity offline

Oh I wasn’t meaning that. I was just highlighting the fact an approved HK device is less stable than your plugin! But nice to know it’s still on your radar

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:42 pm
Londonmark offline

The gentlest of +1s to Durosity’s comment.

And on everything else, super stable. Thanks so much.

Posted on
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 pm
Hank.wheeler offline

Absolutely love the HKB ... works a treat! ... can't wait to see what new features you have planned.

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:39 am
roussell offline

C4W, ignore that noise. Everything you have given to this community is hugely appreciated and if you never released another line of code, those of us that use your current plugins would still be forever in your debt. That same message goes out to all the devs who generously give so much of their free time to help the community!

Also, last time I checked, github allows those who don’t like something to submit a change to be merged or forked, sooo grab a book and learn to code!

Terry

Last edited by roussell on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:04 am
mat offline

roussell wrote:
CW4, ignore that noise. Everything you have given to this community is hugely appreciated and if you never released another line of code, those of us that use your current plugins would still be forever in your debt. That same message goes out to all the devs who generously give so much of their free time to help the community!

Ditto Terry

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:39 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:

Unfortunately, this comes with the territory. I know it's sometimes hard to set those types of things aside (I tend to take them personally), but it's really just best to ignore them. You've done a great job with your plugins and nobody here wants you or any other plugin developer to abandon plugin development just because of a few rude/entitled folks. Work at your own pace - life is all about balance and you and the other developers are already adding a 3rd dimension to the work/life balance proposition. We all very much appreciate it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:08 pm
roussell offline

jay (support) wrote:
...(I tend to take them personally)...

Why in the WORLD would you give @Durosity ammunition??? It’s like you’re just begging for it man!

Terry

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:35 pm
CliveS offline

jay (support) wrote:
Colorado4Wheeler wrote:

Unfortunately, this comes with the territory. I know it's sometimes hard to set those types of things aside (I tend to take them personally), but it's really just best to ignore them. You've done a great job with your plugins and nobody here wants you or any other plugin developer to abandon plugin development just because of a few rude/entitled folks. Work at your own pace - life is all about balance and you and the other developers are already adding a 3rd dimension to the work/life balance proposition. We all very much appreciate it.

I have been putting the finishing touches to my first plugin, well not really as it is a revamp of Peter's Z-Wave Sensor Logger( I still can't get my head around the plugin ecosystem) .
It adds device and variables to unsupported Motion/Contact/Lux/Temp/Humidity and Leak devices, mainly because I got fed up sorting out raw data and I wanted temperature and lux output from the new Neo motion/lux/temp device.
I have succeeded and was looking into adding it to the Plugin Store but not after seeing the grief C4W has been given and in my opinion HKB is a masterpiece, I cannot understand the mentality of some obnoxious, opinionated trolls (I thought Indigo users were above that but obviously a few think they should be 'special')
My plugin not making the Store is no real loss but if it stops the next HomeKit Bridge or Philips Hue plugin being written or stops the continuing updates to the great Plugin Store because of 'demands' then it will hurt us all.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

First off I have to LOL and say thanks to everyone on this thread for the showing of support!

I'm a combat veteran, my skin is thicker than a few trolls pissing me off but it does hamper my motivation to dive back into the coding. It's just one of those things where you put so much time and effort into a project and give it away for free to the benefit of all because it's just fun stuff to play with and people get on your case about something then you have to think "well, ok, I have a free day to do things: I can do some coding that mostly benefits others more than me and possibly have a troll piss on me or I can go hiking" - and I go hiking :D.

I'm not going to stop developing Indigo stuff. In fact I have three or four plugins that are "just me" plugins right now that I'm going to put out before the end of the year that I think are cool as hell - and one of them brings a whole new line of products into the Indigo fold that are super duper cool! In fact I want to do that one before HKB because I want to incorporate it into my HomeKit so we'll see. But I have some pretty cool security stuff that has been working like a charm that I want to publish too.

So I'm not going anywhere. You guys mean a lot to me. I was venting and just saying "I'll get this stuff done but don't expect me to drop my paydays for free hobby coding" is all ;).

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:50 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

roussell wrote:
Why in the WORLD would you give @Durosity ammunition??? It’s like you’re just begging for it man!

Meh, he's on permanent ignore.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 pm
roussell offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
...I'm a combat veteran...

More than anything else, thank you for your service to, and sacrifices for our country. I recognize that the freedom I enjoy is paid for in sweat and blood by those like you who do the things we others can’t or don’t. It is greatly appreciated and should never be forgotten or taken lightly.

Terry

Posted on
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:08 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

roussell wrote:
More than anything else, thank you for your service and sacrifices to our country. I recognize that the freedom I enjoy is paid for in sweat and blood by those like you who do the things we others can’t or don’t. It is greatly appreciated and should never be forgotten or taken lightly.

Thanks, but the price I paid was minor compared to those that gave it all. But that's all old news, my real importance now is to develop Indigo plugins :P.

Check Them Out Here