GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Switch

Posted on
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Switch

howartp wrote:
I meant, can you do it then see if Motion reports start arriving into Indigo...

You'll have to forgive me; I'm quite literal. :D

I don't do associations, so I don't necessarily know what I'm doing. I added associations within Indigo and re-synced the switch to ensure that the associations for groups 2 & 3 were uploaded to the switch.

Code: Select all
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "048 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 21, 24, 27, 28, 30, 43, 46
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "048 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigned return route
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: General Electric - 0063, Dimmable Power Switch - 494D3034
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved protocol version 4.34, app version 5.32
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Mulitlevel Switch : Dimmable Power Switch (04 : 11 : 01, base 26)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 60v4 26v2 86v1 27v1 2Bv1 2Cv1 8Ev1 70v1 71v1 72v1 73v1 56v1 59v1 5Av1 7Av1 5Ev1 85v1
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: - none -
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved capabilities: routing, beaming
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved multi-endpoint types: 1:(11 : 01), 2:(07 : 01)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved multi-endpoint classes: 1:[5E 59 26], 2:[5E 59 71]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 1 associations: [1]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 2 associations: [1]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 3 associations: [1]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - group 1 association to interface already exists (skipping)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - complete

There is no log message (and apparently no debug message) sent to Indigo on motion. In looking at the technical documents (located at https://www.ezzwave.com/sites/jasco/uploads/documents/PDFs/part2/26933_Product_Page.pdf, I don't see a parm for motion notification, but I'm not familiar with the Z-Wave command classes to know if there's something there.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 am
howartp offline

I’ll try look tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm
howartp offline

Please could you "Read" param 20 (1 byte) and see if it gives you a response?

If it returns 1, try setting it to 2 or 3 and test motion at each point.

(Their motion sensor, not the smart motion switch, has those params - and often they'll use same params and values across products)

Peter

Posted on
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:53 pm
DaveL17 offline

Parm 20 returns 0 (zero). Tried setting it to 1 and 2, but the setting didn't take. According to the technical docs, the parm list for the Smart Dimmer only goes to 19. Thanks for trying.

Matt & Jay - if you read this, I'm happy to send it to you to gin up a profile. I'm not planning to deploy it right away, so you could hang on to it for a while.

LMK,
Dave

Posted on
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 am
johnfdl offline

I have other occupancy sensors around my house (not connected to Indigo, of course). They work just fine in rooms like laundry room, closets, basement, etc. They are great because I walk in a room and the light turns on and when I leave, they turn off. I'd love to put some in rooms like my bathroom, but I do not want the light to turn on as I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was hoping they would come up with a occupancy sensor that allowed a schedule for operation so it would just turn on if motion is sensed between 8 am and 10 pm. Of course I can put a motion sensor in the bathroom and a zwave switch and have indigo turn the light on when motion is sensed between certain hours, but I would much prefer a z-wave switch that had the motion sensor built right in...hence my interest in this. But I'm guessing the switch will tun on the lights automatically, and not honor any rules/conditions programmed into zwave controller like Indigo. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Posted on
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 pm
DaveL17 offline

johnfdl wrote:
I have other occupancy sensors around my house (not connected to Indigo, of course). They work just fine in rooms like laundry room, closets, basement, etc. They are great because I walk in a room and the light turns on and when I leave, they turn off. I'd love to put some in rooms like my bathroom, but I do not want the light to turn on as I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was hoping they would come up with a occupancy sensor that allowed a schedule for operation so it would just turn on if motion is sensed between 8 am and 10 pm. Of course I can put a motion sensor in the bathroom and a zwave switch and have indigo turn the light on when motion is sensed between certain hours, but I would much prefer a z-wave switch that had the motion sensor built right in...hence my interest in this. But I'm guessing the switch will tun on the lights automatically, and not honor any rules/conditions programmed into zwave controller like Indigo. If I am wrong, please let me know.

There might be a way to do what you're looking for.

The switch has a configuration parameter (parameter 6) to enable/disable the motion sensor. It seems like you could create a schedule (using the Modify Z-Wave Configuration Parameter Action) that would disable the motion sensor. Say, off at 22:00 and on at 06:00. There is also a parameter (parameter 16) which enables/disables the switch, but that seems to be overkill--there may be times when you want to turn on the light in the middle of the night.

I'm not in a position to test it right now, but looking at the docs (https://www.ezzwave.com/sites/jasco/uploads/documents/PDFs/part2/26933_Product_Page.pdf) it seems like it should be possible.

Posted on
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:36 pm
blysik offline

Any chance we can get this supported in the next update? Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We don't publish feature ETAs but getting this one supported in the next feature release is a pretty high priority. In the mean time I believe you can capture the raw command from the motion sensor from Indigo with a Trigger. To try it use the Match Raw Packet trigger type (after selecting Z-Wave Command Received), and choose your device in the From popup menu.

For the a motion alert trigger try a Match Bytes field like this:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x07 0x08 *

And if you want to know when the motion is "cleared" by the module for another trigger use:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x07 0x00 *

Posted on
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 am
blysik offline

I can confirm that trigger + code works! Thanks! That will hold me over until full support comes.

Posted on
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:31 am
DaveL17 offline

I can confirm that it works with the GE Motion Dimmer as well.

Code: Select all
Nov 25, 2018 at 8:29:49 AM
   Trigger                         GE Motion Dimmer Motion
   GE Dimmer                       Motion Detected

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:30:12 AM
   Trigger                         GE Motion Dimmer Motion Cleared
   GE Dimmer                       Motion Cleared

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:35 am
hamw offline

I'm considering purchasing some of these. Looks like they work pretty well. Any concerns? I haven't ventured into Z-wave yet... is its pretty straightforward to get these going?

Thanks,

Ham

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:44 am
DaveL17 offline

I have only bench tested the Motion Dimmer, but it responded instantly. Using the Match Bytes code above also worked well. The only complaint I have with this device is that it comes with a color change kit that only changes the switch paddles (from white to cream); the color of the motion sensor bit is always white. Not a big deal, but I thought I should point it out.

Posted on
Sun May 12, 2019 4:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 7.3 (and 7.3.1) are now available and should support the GE Smart Motion Switches (26931 and 26933/ ZW3008).