Discovery Failure

Posted on
Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 pm
MoodyMa offline

Re: Discovery Failure

@jtburgess

Turn off any VPN you have on. I was using a VPN on my iPhone and kept getting this problem until I turned it off. You can turn it back on once MyHue is set up.

Posted on
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:43 pm
jtburgess offline

Finally got back to this. My original problem was that I had somehow set the plugin-server-port to 8178. When I changed it to 1900, I get a little farther. [ Note to others: don't change the alexa plugin configuration to use any other port than 1900! This will show in the indigo devices list as its "address". ]

Now I understand what you mean about port 80. The initial request goes to http://{server IP}:1900/description.xml.
The follow on request tries to connect to {server IP}:80, and I don't know what that request is, because there is no listener on port 80, so the connection is denied by TCP.

Hmm, would it work to just duplicate the hue_listener to work on both 1900 and 80? Next time I have a few hours I can dedicate, I may try that.

Posted on
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:51 pm
eric offline

I have tried everything I have read here and cannot for the life of me get the Alexa app or my Alexas to discover the plugin's devices.

Nothing appears in the log during discovery. Nothing.

The only clue is this error when i turn on discovery from indigo - in the log:

StandardError detected in Responder.Run for 'Alexa Hue Bridge Saugerties'. Line '147' has error='must be string, not None'

Any ideas? I have Ecobee 4s, the Echo Spo, various Sonos speakers and the Alexa iPhone app.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:51 am
autolog offline

eric wrote:
I have tried everything I have read here and cannot for the life of me get the Alexa app or my Alexas to discover the plugin's devices.

Nothing appears in the log during discovery. Nothing.

The only clue is this error when i turn on discovery from indigo - in the log:

StandardError detected in Responder.Run for 'Alexa Hue Bridge Saugerties'. Line '147' has error='must be string, not None'

Any ideas? I have Ecobee 4s, the Echo Spo, various Sonos speakers and the Alexa iPhone app.

I think that the host is blank / empty which means it wouldn't work.
Have you overridden the host field in the plugin configuration - if not, it might be worth trying that. :)

If that doesn't resolve the issue, post the startup messages from the Indigo event log when you reload the plugin.

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:06 pm
PETStech offline

MoodyMa wrote:
@jtburgess

Turn off any VPN you have on. I was using a VPN on my iPhone and kept getting this problem until I turned it off. You can turn it back on once MyHue is set up.

I have the Hamachi VPN installed on the Indigo server and client, but have not enabled any Proxy; yet often Alexa will initialize after a Restart with the VPN's IP instead of the host's IP and I can't figure where it is getting it. After several days in which the server was restarted and Find/Discover failed, and after re-configuring the devices (without any changes) and rebooting, I am now again able to Find/Discover my Alexa-Hue Bridge devices.

Incidentally, when I first installed the plugin's latest version, 3.0.29, I could not Find/Discover devices until I opened ports 8179 and 8180. A few days later I had to open 8181 and 8182, which I continue to use. I recall reading, somewhere, that there may be a problem with a core program (Perl?) in managing port numbers.

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:26 am
eric offline

HELP!

I have tried everything as well - complete failure discovering and no log activity when discovering.

Here is the log activity when starting up the plugin. Not that I do have a hostname in the sharing preferences, and that, while MacOS Server was once running on my computer it was uninstalled and Mojave was reinstalled afterward.

Part is 80 but I have tried 1900 and 8180 as well.

Alexa-Hue Bridge Error Computer has no host name specified. Check the Sharing system preference and restart the plugin once the name is resolved.
Alexa-Hue Bridge Plugin Host IP Address is discovered as: 'None'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa discovery request logging enabled
Alexa-Hue Bridge No debugging requested
Started plugin "Alexa-Hue Bridge 3.0.29"
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge initialization complete
Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge Saugerties' has u4 Alexa Devices published
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge Saugerties' web server thread
Alexa-Hue Bridge Starting Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge Saugerties' discovery thread as 'Auto Start Discovery' requested
Alexa-Hue Bridge Error StandardError detected in Responder.Run for 'Alexa Hue Bridge Saugerties'. Line '147' has error='must be string, not None'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge 'Alexa Hue Bridge Saugerties' started: Host: None Port: 80
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge checking network access by attempting to access 'www.google.com'
Alexa-Hue Bridge Alexa-Hue Bridge network access check to http://www.google.com successfully completed.

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:39 am
autolog offline

Have you specified the host IP address in the plugin configuration? This should be the ip address of the Apple Mac that is running the Indigo server. :)

Posted on
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 pm
eric offline

Ok - I’ll try that. What port should I use?

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am
autolog offline

eric wrote:
Ok - I’ll try that. What port should I use?

Thanks!
It should be 8179 / 8180 etc - definitely not 80 or 1900 :)

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 am
fyellin offline

Interesting.

I've been trying to do discovery using both the Alexa app on my iPhone and my Echo Dot v3, and failing miserably. But when I tried switching to doing discovery on my Echo v2, it works perfectly.

Once the devices have been discovered, they work fine on all my Echo devices.

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn