iMac versus Mac mini

Posted on
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am
rweil1 offline

iMac versus Mac mini

Any thoughts on what runs Indigo better, or really doesn’t matter?
I currently have a 2015 Mac mini that doesn’t like Mojave and want to upgrade.

I remote in so haven’t been using a monitor.

Posted on
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 pm
autolog offline

Re: iMac versus Mac mini

It would seem a Mac mini would be your best option (and cheaper) if you run it headless? :)

Posted on
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:46 pm
siclark offline

Mojave is running fine on my 2012 mini.

Posted on
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

rweil1 wrote:
Any thoughts on what runs Indigo better, or really doesn’t matter?

Indigo runs well on anything that will run Mac OS 10.7 or better.

rweil1 wrote:
I currently have a 2015 Mac mini that doesn’t like Mojave and want to upgrade.

What does that mean? I have a Late 2012 mini that's running Mojave.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm
rweil1 offline

To answer your question I tried installing Mojave twice on my 2015 mac-mini and it just would not install. After downloading and rebooting, it would never get past the Apple logo. Looking at You-tube videos how to repair this problem there is over 1 million views on those videos so I'm not alone. The first time was from upgrading from High Sierra to Mojave and the Apple logo froze and there was no going back after that.I posted this under "mojave or not to mojave" looking for help as I ended up loosing everything. High Sierra required the FTDI driver workaround which also didn't work for me so I had no Insteon working for over 50 devices so I'm not trying that again either.

The second time Apple support helped me from the recovery menu to reinstall the OS that came with my system and i figured why not try Mojave again. It froze on the apple logo again trying to reboot and once again i had to go back to my original OS. I upgraded from there to Sierra without issue and that's where it sits now. A couple of plugins need High Sierra or Mojave so I have to live without those for now. I'm leaning towards an Imac so I have a screen to work with rather than carrying a monitor to where the mac-mini is. Normally I remote in to the mac with no problem so making changes remotely is easy, but only when there is no problems with rebooting.

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:45 pm
siclark offline

Random question but do you use bullguard? Caused similar problems on friend's Mac. He tried multiple times and in end simply removing bullguard worked.

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

rweil1 wrote:
To answer your question I tried installing Mojave twice on my 2015 mac-mini and it just would not install. After downloading and rebooting, it would never get past the Apple logo. Looking at You-tube videos how to repair this problem there is over 1 million views on those videos so I'm not alone. The first time was from upgrading from High Sierra to Mojave and the Apple logo froze and there was no going back after that.I posted this under "mojave or not to mojave" looking for help as I ended up loosing everything. High Sierra required the FTDI driver workaround which also didn't work for me so I had no Insteon working for over 50 devices so I'm not trying that again either.

Did you zap the PRAM? Did you have everything unplugged from the USB ports except mouse/keyboard (and not using bluetooth versions of either of those) when doing the OS upgrade? This just seems to me to indicate that there is some kind of hardware issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:25 pm
rweil1 offline

Thanks for the suggestions but yes I did reset the PRAM and everything was unplugged. The mouse and trackpad are Bluetooth. I would agree its probably hardware but its supposed to be compatible but no one at Apple will help look at it so I will eventually just have to get a new one.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1