...spend a £50 off £100 Amazon spend voucher - expires 31/10

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:13 pm
noel1983 offline

...spend a £50 off £100 Amazon spend voucher - expires 31/10

Evening all,

Seems appropriate for the how do I forum....I have a £50 off £100 of Amazon spend voucher. Needs to be used by tomorrow.

Naturally it should go on something for the Autumnal focus on HA!

Ideally it'd be close to £100 or a collection of products for that amount but if I go over it then...hey ho.

Short list

Sonos One to replace Echo dot in the kitchen and let me 'trigger' music / radio much better with Indigo.

Z wave 8 button switch for button control of music on sonos

Amazon Fire HD tablet for screen control of music on sonos.

Better control and use of Sonos is very much on my list and I want a physical device to do that. TIme is super limited right now so ideally it'd be something that would give immediate benefit but I"m not averse to something that may have to await time to sort properly.

Love the idea of the physical buttons on the 8 button switch but I know I won't get around to designing and printing nice labels meaning it'll sit unused so that's probably not the option.

More ideas welcomed!!

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:09 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: ...spend a £50 off £100 Amazon spend voucher - expires 3

Personally, I'd go the tablet route. It would give you control of the Sonos, but also so much more with DomoPad or control pages.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:09 pm
noel1983 offline

It’s a big step for me to bring an android device into our entirely Apple household but I suspect you’re absolutely right!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:25 am
durosity offline

noel1983 wrote:
It’s a big step for me to bring an android device into our entirely Apple household but I suspect you’re absolutely right!!

It’s a trap!

Instead of that how about a Ring Pro that’s on special today?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:30 am
noel1983 offline

Was very disappointed with the ring v1 I tried, equally disappointed with the hikvision so have paused the doorbell side of things.

I went for some smart scales (techy if not HA!) and an android fire 7" which I'll get around to playing with domopad at some stage! :)

Cheers for the suggestions.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:12 am
siclark offline

If you think the time to print out labels for the button is prohibitive, you think the control screens for Sonos on domopad will be quick.
I've lost track of hours trying to do that. In end I gave up and now I use a combination of Nodon 4 button remote (when the Sonos plugin is behaving and I haven’t disabled it) and Alexa voice.
If I need a screen to select something that Alexa can't find I pull my phone out, as I'm normally sitting down so don't want to walk to the tablet.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:16 am
siclark offline

Interesting on the doorbell side. My wife doesn't like ring form factor so I'm still looking for solution. I was tempted by hikvison as SS can do 2 way audio but still not ideal. Why don't you like it?

For now I use relay to turn off doorbell transformer and have porch motion detector send pushover notification if motion and doorbell off. Think I'm going to try a camera high up that can do 2 way voice but they are either expensive or don't integrate.
Was interested in trying wyzcam but not in UK.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:19 am
noel1983 offline

Hikvision used to randomly ring the doorbell in the middle of the night, this may have been down to the psu i was using and our bell but doesn't completely answer it.

It was slow, by the time it notified they'd walked away lol

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I went for some smart scales (techy if not HA!) and an android fire 7" which I'll get around to playing with domopad at some stage! :)

Great choice, in my totally unbiased opinion... :-)

If you think the time to print out labels for the button is prohibitive, you think the control screens for Sonos on domopad will be quick.
I've lost track of hours trying to do that.

The design or operation of the control pages?

Interesting on the doorbell side. My wife doesn't like ring form factor so I'm still looking for solution. I was tempted by hikvison as SS can do 2 way audio but still not ideal. Why don't you like it? Hikvision used to randomly ring the doorbell in the middle of the night, this may have been down to the psu i was using and our bell but doesn't completely answer it.

I can weigh in on this a bit -- it is a PITA to get setup properly (some of the same issues), but in the end I got it to work as a doorbell without issues by using a 20V power supply instead of my existing 16V and a voltage drop inside the existing chime (used a board from the August doorbell that you can order). Doorbell operation is fine.

Camera wise... well, when it works, the picture is good. I can send a sample if want. However, the ONVIF feed tends to drop out quite a bit. I've measured WiFi signal at the doorbell and it is fine, so not sure if it is a crappy antenna or hardware defect or what. My father has 2 of them (well, rebranded ones, but definitely the HikVision) and his acts similarly. I would not recommend it.

Just yesterday I found out that the company I bought my NVRs from now has a doorbell that I am very tempted to try:
https://www.securitycameraking.com/VDB- ... Id=3222201

Only thing is, the wiring diagram is a bit confusing to me when not using PoE. Not positive if it will work off the existing doorbell power and still chime the existing bell or not. The NVRs have been of good quality, so was thinking the camera should be at least acceptable.

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:37 pm
noel1983 offline

siclark wrote:

Very fair although I’m hoping i can trawl the forums and copy some good examples!!

I've lost track of hours trying to do that. In end I gave up and now I use a combination of Nodon 4 button remote (when the Sonos plugin is behaving and I haven’t disabled it) and Alexa voice.
If I need a screen to select something that Alexa can't find I pull my phone out, as I'm normally sitting down so don't want to walk to the tablet.

I’m also a huge fan of physical buttons so think I’ll get some more lwrf buttons too. Need to buy them up really before all stocks disappear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 pm
siclark offline

noel1983 wrote:

Very fair although I’m hoping i can trawl the forums and copy some good examples!!

I’m also a huge fan of physical buttons so think I’ll get some more lwrf buttons too. Need to buy them up really before all stocks disappear!

Ha, I did the same thing too. There are some great set ups, but were beyond me to set up. Also need Sonos to be better setup than I have it.

Page 1 of 1