Favorite fruit company... reanimated

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:15 am
akimball offline

Re: Favorite fruit company... reanimated

Hmmmmm....quad core, i7 Mac Mini Pro. Finally a mini mac computer able to run securityspy, indigo, and plex...without choking.

https://apple.news/A_JuPqUUXRbabYiAJGoj-LQ

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

akimball wrote:
Hmmmmm....quad core, i7 Mac Mini Pro. Finally a mini mac computer able to run securityspy, indigo, and plex...without choking.

https://apple.news/A_JuPqUUXRbabYiAJGoj-LQ

Hmm. That might work as a new desktop for me. I've been using iMacs for over 10 years. My current '14 model has developed a really annoying hardware issue where it randomly goes into sleep mode. Apple "repaired" it twice under warranty, and it started doing it again out of warranty. And I haven't replaced it because I was waiting for a significant update to the current iMac models. So as an interim measure I started using my 13" MacBook Pro as my main computer. Well, the graphics in that machine can't handle World of Warcraft or any other game.

So I got an eGPU enclosure and a Vega 56 card. I'm running two monitors off the eGPU and it works great. It has a dual core i7. If I could get a quad core with more RAM, I'd be pretty happy. A modular Mac Pro would be better, but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 pm
akimball offline

I can see where it would be an improvement. I tell you, if apple didn’t do something soon, i was going to have to stuff an iMac Pro into an equipment closet. Sacrilege.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:44 pm
roussell offline

I doubt I’ll upgrade from my current 2012 minis. Since Matt and Jay have hinted at an alternate (additional?) OS compatibility in the undetermined future I’ll just try to keep going with these until that happens. My 2006 minis lasted 10 years, if these make it to 2022 then I’m good! Hell I may not last that long...

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:48 pm
akimball offline

Bandwidth has become a critical factor on my 2014 mac mini since adding 12 camera’s and security spy....and now we are getting plex up and running. I was considering dual mini’s as well.

It’s not indigo. Indigo is spiffy on any mac mini. It’s media and cameras.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 pm
FlyingDiver offline

akimball wrote:
I can see where it would be an improvement. I tell you, if apple didn’t do something soon, i was going to have to stuff an iMac Pro into an equipment closet. Sacrilege.

I bought a used 2010 Mac Pro, upgraded it with an SSD, 12 cores, and a bunch of RAM, and it's running High Sierra just fine. I bet I could get it to run Mojave if I put in a metal compatible GPU.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:00 pm
akimball offline

We have two 2008 8-core mac pro’s, dual xeon quad cores I believe. Mine is early 2008 and is stuck at OS10.7.5. Wife’s is late 2008 and i think it runs 10.14, mojave. But these old beastie dragons heat the room even with the monitors turned off. So, a 30-watt mac mini pro ...coming out tomorrow... is what’s needed in our case. I have dibbs on serial number #1.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:09 pm
roussell offline

akimball wrote:
Bandwidth has become a critical factor on my 2014 mac mini since adding 12 camera’s and security spy....and now we are getting plex up and running. I was considering dual mini’s as well.

It’s not indigo. Indigo is spiffy on any mac mini. It’s media and cameras.

I hear ya. I only run Indigo on my Mini and run virtual machines on a separate box for everything else. From a factory-fresh install, the Mini gets Indigo, it’s plugins, Xcode, homebrew and a few Unix utilities from homebrew for various shell scripts and such. Indigo is the only thing that runs nonstop however. It makes for crazy reliability when I’m not in the box screwing around with other things.

Terry

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:13 pm
roussell offline

akimball wrote:
We have two 2008 8-core mac pro’s, dual xeon quad cores I believe. Mine is early 2008 and is stuck at OS10.7.5. Wife’s is late 2008 and i think it runs 10.14, mojave. But these old beastie dragons heat the room even with the monitors turned off. So, a 30-watt mac mini pro ...coming out tomorrow... is what’s needed in our case. I have dibbs on serial number #1.

I guess for me it would come down to cores... I don’t really NEED the 40-core, 1TB RAM monster that is currently running; so if I could put ESXi on the new Mini Pro and shut down the beast, it would definitely save a few bucks/day on the power bill!!

Terry

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:44 pm
akimball offline

An HA system should either be on a dedicated box or as a VM. It is usually the "other things" that cause issues or the need to run the latest version of macOS. Only once have I had an issue with Indigo running as a VM. It still ran but the client couldn't connect as it kept saying that I reached the maximum number of clients. The client is only run on two machines; one was off and the other I was getting the error on. I just rebooted the VM and all was well again.

I’m actually wondering about this....but I’m in the process of integrating indigo with security spy...and possibly plex after I get my media in order. I know it could be done on 2 or more mac’s. A new fast mac mini, 2018 for securityspy, and indigo on the older 2014 mac mini. I may just need to do that... there is a sample of what I’m attempting to do with securityspy images in indigo (cynical securityspy) attached....the image is a big friendly garage door button.

Also for securityspy, we have their calculator...
https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy ... lator.html
...which tells me i need a new computer lol. And the nightly report on my cams agrees.

Yeah, I may be forced into two computers for reliability....I think i can kill this problem with more, faster cores. maybe.
Attachments
3B4B8503-402B-4235-8B51-4EF38ED98ED3.jpeg
3B4B8503-402B-4235-8B51-4EF38ED98ED3.jpeg (114.08 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:10 pm
akimball offline

You know, setting up a new combined mac with everything running on it could lead me to a very sad experience when I need to move Indigo7.2 back onto the old mac mini.

Has anyone already run securityspy, indigo, and plex on one mac?

I don’t want to be sad. :(

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:13 pm
FlyingDiver offline

akimball wrote:
Has anyone already run securityspy, indigo, and plex on one mac?

I was, when I only had two cameras. When I went to 8, SecuritySpy just killed the mini. So I moved SS and Plex to a Mac Pro I picked up used.

You need a lot of cores for SS if you have a large number of cameras. The Pro originally had 8 cores, now it's 12.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:33 pm
akimball offline

I was, when I only had two cameras. When I went to 8, SecuritySpy just killed the mini. So I moved SS and Plex to a Mac Pro I picked up used.

Thanks for the benchmarks. I’m running 12 cams at 6fps, ave 2MP each, everything kinda works....usually. Boosting 12 cams to 8fps takes down 2 or 3 cams all the time and i notice interference with AlexaHueBridge plugin and HuePlugin.... this is running on a 2.6-GHz 2014 mac mini.

I’m expecting 2 to 4 times the performance on the new 2018 mac mini pro? It will have 4 cores. But who knows....Tim won’t return my phone calls...Will just need to get my order in and wait. Hoping it comes preloaded with Indigo8. :D

Here is the total load...
Indigo7.2
SecuritySpy4.0
Plex
Growl
Mail (spamseive)
ITunes....sometimes.

I want the baddest mac mini Apple can sell.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:36 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Mine's a Late 2012 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. A quad core will give you double at least, but even with an i7 you probably won't get 4 x.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm
akimball offline

Kinda worried about it. Maybe I’ll bite-hard and pickup an imac pro....and shove it into my equipment closet. All depends on what’s said tomorrow. I want to add 4 more cams so there’s that too.

Thanks for the help.

-Al