INSTEON MorningLinc

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm
brianlloyd offline

Re: INSTEON MorningLinc

Huh. No matter what I did a set of alkaline batteries barely lasted a month, even if I never remotely locked/unlocked the doors. Switched to Schlage Z-Wave locks and it looks like battery life will be well over a year. The Z-Wave locks report lock state. The Z-Wave protocol is encrypted and more secure to boot.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:26 pm
akimball offline

brianlloyd wrote:
Huh. No matter what I did a set of alkaline batteries barely lasted a month, even if I never remotely locked/unlocked the doors. Switched to Schlage Z-Wave locks and it looks like battery life will be well over a year. The Z-Wave locks report lock state. The Z-Wave protocol is encrypted and more secure to boot.

L91’s aren’t alkalines. They are non-rechargable Lithium’s.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:30 pm
brianlloyd offline

I understand that the L91s are not alkaline. The point is, the MiLocks locks drain a set of alkaline batteries in one month. The Z-wave locks will go over a year on the same batteries. The Z-Wave locks report lock state. The Z-Wave locks use an encrypted protocol making it less likely that someone will hack my locks.

My point is, I finally gave up on the MiLocks locks. I am much happier with the Schlage locks.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:40 pm
akimball offline

:D Ah, I’ll look into schlage someday. I do notice zwave is more frugal with energy. I’m in the process of replacing all battery powered devices with house power when possible. I actually have a vague product idea I want to see developed someday...

Front doors in smart homes nowdays need power. Power for locks, power for peephole cameras, power for Christmas wreaths, door knock sensors. I’d like this built into the door and frame using power inductor loops, similar to charging your phone or watch wirelessly. This way you power the door and use accessories which can interface with that power....and no bendy bendy wires.

I would use an inductive coil driver on the frame side and on the door, another inductive coil coupled to an ac-dc boost convertor with power-holdup needs being handled within the door devices, as needed.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 am
captcurrent offline

Not sure best place to post this

I have and older set up that used two insteon I/o. can sone one provide the correct wiring ??

one unit has pulled off or I/O unit is telling me time to spend more money with smart homes

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 am
akimball offline

Model numbs?

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:31 am
captcurrent offline

morning industry shooing to a 2450

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:35 am
akimball offline

Well the morning industry stuff is rf, with no wires at all. Not sure how it would/could ever interface with an insteon 2450.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:43 am
captcurrent offline

You might be describing the current setups This was one of the early models that used two 2450s and a MI remote One 2450 c0ntroled locking .. the other unlocking

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:45 am
akimball offline

Yeah, i’m not familiar with anything older than the rf stuff.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:49 am
captcurrent offline

thanks. .. not having much luck with the RF so returning to roots.. RF will lock but not unlock

so going back to the roots

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:30 am
captcurrent offline

In regards to the Insteon RF Lock controller

I can't the controller to lock the attached doors but but I always get the following error on opening

Code: Select all
ct 29, 2018, 1:27:52 PM

Error                           "Door locks" off; failed (PowerLinc not in module's database -- try the Define and Sync process in the device dialog)

I got a successful Define and Synch. but still get the same error

Code: Select all
Oct 29, 2018, 1:16:56 PM
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 49.F7.3C)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 44.A2.2B, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initializing remote device "Door locks" (address 44.A2.2B, firmware version 43)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initialize complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "Door locks" (address 44.A2.2B, firmware version 43)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely (skipping)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - entered discovery linking mode (240 seconds)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 49.F7.3C)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 44.A2.2B, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
   PowerLinc                       Linking - . . adding: (not added -- probably already exists)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - PowerLinc links updated
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending engine version request to 44.A2.2B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received engine version 02 from 44.A2.2B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sending id request for device information to 44.A2.2B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - received id request response from 44.A2.2B
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initializing remote device "Door locks" (address 44.A2.2B, firmware version 43)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - initialize complete
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "Door locks" (address 44.A2.2B, firmware version 43)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely (skipping)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - exited linking mode

Any suggestions?

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:40 am
akimball offline

So way earlier in this same thread, nsheldon’s instructions are the insteuctions which worked for me: Nathan said....

“I've never needed to use PowerLinc Scenes to turn the MorningLinc on or off. I use standard on/off appliance/device controls to turn on/off the MorningLinc (and the associated lock). It's tricky to get this to work though. You have to Define and Sync it twice... once for lock and once for unlock. I had a hard time with this because you have to get the button press sequence on the MorningLinc right when selecting which of the two lock states to link to. I had to follow the SmartLabs linking instructions very closely. It's also possible to link the locked state to either on or off commands. I'll paraphrase the SmartLabs instructions below assuming that when you turn the MorningLinc ON, it turns the lock ON (locked).

Linking LOCKED to Turn ON Command.

If necessary, tap the MorningLinc’s Set button (once) to put it into the locked state.
Open the Indigo device's Define and Sync dialog (double-click the device, click Define-and-Sync).
Press and hold MorningLinc’s Set button for 3 seconds. The MorningLinc Status LED will flash once and then turn on solid (indicating that the door is locked).
Wait for the linking process to complete. If it hangs waiting for a reply from the MorningLinc, repeat step 3 and allow the sync to complete.

Linking UNLOCKED to Turn OFF Command.

If necessary, tap the MorningLinc’s Set button (once) to put it into the unlocked state.
Open the Indigo device's Define and Sync dialog (double-click the device, click Define-and-Sync).
Double-tap the MorningLinc’s Set button and wait for 3 seconds before moving on to the next step.
Press and hold the MorningLinc’s Set button for 3 seconds. The MorningLinc Status LED will flash once and then turn off (indicating that the door is unlocked).
Wait for the linking process to complete. If it hangs waiting for a reply from the MorningLinc, repeat both steps 3 and 4 and allow the sync to complete.

Steps 3 and 4 for the UNLOCKED condition are very important. If you don't double-tap the Set button and let go of it, waiting at least 3 seconds before pressing-and-holding the Set button again in step 4, this will not work.”

Now, that being said, i’m not sure it applies to you. Furthermore it applied when indigo was at rev.6. Also, i think things have been improved a little in indigo 7....not sure.

-Al

Posted on
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm
captcurrent offline

The lights sequence as not quite as described. but I got it to work

So No working n 7.0. I am not upgrading any further on the machine as 7.2 killed instead a m other house

Thanks!!

Posted on
Mon May 31, 2021 12:34 pm
kw123 offline

one of my insteon door locks died and I can't get a new one and want to go to something else anyway.

What is the current favorite in the indigo community, especially from the hardware point of view

I could do zwave, wifi, raspberry- anything, or something new

Karl

ps absolutely no Alexa etc integration