To Mojave or not to Mojave

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:40 am
autolog offline

Re: To Mojave or not to Mojave

jay (support) wrote:
... I'm also surprised that the Z-Stick connection in Indigo was in any way effected, unless you have the new Gen5 stick and you moved it to a different USB port. The port name used for those devices depends on which USB port it's plugged in to.

When I upgraded my 2017 iMac to Mojave, Z-Wave didn't work and I had to reconfigure the Z-Wave port and select it as usbmodem14601. I don't know what it was before and I hadn't unplugged the Gen 5 Z-Stick, so it was still plugged into the same USB port as when the mac was running High Sierra. :)

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 am
Londonmark offline

Yes. Had to do the same.

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:51 am
DaveL17 offline

I haven't upgraded my production server to Mojave, but my development server (MacBook Air, no Z-Wave, no Insteon) seems to work fine.

I did run into a couple of things that I'll mention, even though they aren't directly related to Indigo (may be indirectly related, though).
  1. The move to Mojave broke my Mail.app settings for my iCloud email account. It somehow switched my iCloud email address to my recovery email address. I was able to fix it, but the fix wasn't completely obvious. Instead of going to Internet accounts via System Preferences, I went to Mail preferences, then the accounts tab. Look at the email address for the iCould account and then select Edit Email Addresses.
  2. The move broke my Backblaze backups. This is apparently due to changes in security settings under Mojave that require granting Backblaze "Full Disk Access". I've done this only for Backblaze, but I wonder if it makes sense to also allow Full Disk Access for Indigo. I don't know that it's needed since Indigo seems to work just fine without it.

Would dragging Indigo.app to the Full Disk Access list work for the client and server both?

For the record, the MacBook Air 6,2 is upgrade path (...--> SIerra --> High Sierra --> Mojave) it's never had a clean install except when new..

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
... I'm also surprised that the Z-Stick connection in Indigo was in any way effected, unless you have the new Gen5 stick and you moved it to a different USB port. The port name used for those devices depends on which USB port it's plugged in to.

When I upgraded my 2017 iMac to Mojave, Z-Wave didn't work and I had to reconfigure the Z-Wave port and select it as usbmodem14601. I don't know what it was before and I hadn't unplugged the Gen 5 Z-Stick, so it was still plugged into the same USB port as when the mac was running High Sierra. :)

I wonder if the built-in modem driver in Mojave names the modem serial ports differently than it did in High Sierra. This would certainly explain why you had to reselect the port when upgrading. I'll see if I can investigate.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
I wonder if the built-in modem driver in Mojave names the modem serial ports differently than it did in High Sierra. This would certainly explain why you had to reselect the port when upgrading. I'll see if I can investigate.

Well, it looks like Apple has messed with us again. It does appear from preliminary testing that Mojave names modem serial ports differently in Mojave than it did in High Sierra. This means that when you upgrade to Mojave and you're using a Z-Stick Gen5 (or any other device that presents itself to macOS as a modem), you'll have to reselect the serial port in the Z-Wave config dialog after you upgrade.

I'll perform some more testing next week, but it looks like this is the case.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:56 pm
cjp767 offline

Did you need to do the workaround? The bugs effect the FTDI driver, which the Insteon PLM and the RFXrec433 use, but the Z-Stick doesn't, so I'm somewhat surprised that you hit the bug.

I'm also surprised that the Z-Stick connection in Indigo was in any way effected, unless you have the new Gen5 stick and you moved it to a different USB port. The port name used for those devices depends on which USB port it's plugged in to.

Looks like I may not have had to do the workaround -- I used the same USB port after upgrading the to Mojave. Thanks for your testing. When 10.14.1 comes out, if the Z-wave network indicator in Indigo turns red with a slash, I'll try reconfiguring in Indigo before doing the workaround again. I just didn't think of reconfiguring the modem inside Indigo and jumped right into the workaround. As always, thank you for the support.

Posted on
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:39 pm
Welshdog offline

One thing I observed after the Mojave upgrade on my Late 2012 Mac Mini was a brief difficulty with Indigo Touch when connecting from outside the local network. Indigo Touch was not able to contact the server. I tried a few things on the phone and nothing worked. I checked the Mini and saw that Little Snitch was seeking approval for an IP address to access Indigo Server via Python. Once this was approved everything worked fine. I looked in the Little Snitch Configuration and this had also occurred in 2014 and 2017 - but naturally I didn't remember this happening. Each time the incoming IP address was different, but that could be due to any number of things.

So if you use Little Snitch on your Indigo Server Mac, expect to approve this Python connection for Indigo touch to work.

Posted on
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:06 pm
jltnol offline

Did you need to do the workaround? The bugs effect the FTDI driver, which the Insteon PLM and the RFXrec433 use, but the Z-Stick doesn't, so I'm somewhat surprised that you hit the bug.

Honestly, I'm not sure that I actually ran into the problem, as much as I was expecting to run into it. Although I didn't move the Z-stick when I upgraded to Mojave, it wasn't working, so I just assumed I needed to do the Driver Dance. Its very possible that just checking the Z-Stick configuration may have gotten it back up and running, especially since I was upgrading from 10.13.5.

Bottom line is Indigo 7.2 and Mojave works.. and the effort to make it so is not very difficult.. The post is very clear about how to do this.
Last edited by jltnol on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 am
jmdraper offline

Updated to Mojave successfully and now all working. I don’t have anything with an FTDI driver issue sondidnt run into that. Had to reselect z stuck in prefs as suggested above. The only other issues I ran into were with iTunes and a couple of other plugins as Mojave’s seems to have added some security features that require user confirmation the first time that one app is allowed to control another. Until I realised this (I have indigo running on a headless Mac so wasn’t obvious til I remote desktopped into it) I had all sorts of weird issues.

Posted on
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:02 am
iammac offline

Hi thanks for the Mojave testing. Forgive my ignorance but what are the steps needed to reconfigure the Z Stick?

Posted on
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:09 am
iammac offline

Posted on
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:39 pm
GlennNZ offline

To Mojave or not to Mojave

Rightly or wrongly - thought about time to make the move for few reasons
1. Pending new Mac Mini releases 30th??
2. Checking compatibility of few plugins, particularly Findfriends
3. To enable iOs Caching server

Indigo 7.2 currently - Installed Mojave (from Sierra something) with no issues - did need to reselect the Z-Wave USB port though.
Reasons 2 and 3 above all working well - except is a little bit more forceful in wanting 2-factor authentication turned on.

But biggest problem for me - and considering going back... is the loss of the messages app script handler. (no more iMsg communication to from Indigo)

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... igh-sierra

Phrase 'Stupid apple' comes to mind removing functions - as do find iMsg communication useful and quite high WAF.
(investigating replacement options and writing a full plugin to loop through iMsg SQL Db for new replies seems best current option...)
Edit: Further to this - seems like Mojave security stops app reading this database - even after changing security settings - so probably no go with this approach unfortunately.

Glenn
Last edited by GlennNZ on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:21 am
DaveL17 offline

This is likely not an option for everyone, but my cellular provider (Verizon US) hosts a server that allows email to be sent to a text message. I use Indigo to send email messages to [phone number]@vtext.com and the alerts show up in Messages.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:35 am
GlennNZ offline

DaveL17 wrote:
This is likely not an option for everyone, but my cellular provider (Verizon US) hosts a server that allows email to be sent to a text message. I use Indigo to send email messages to [phone number]@vtext.com and the alerts show up in Messages.

Thanks - the iMsg apple script handler enabled two way discussions with indigo (via curl changing variables which would trigger replies/actions). So could - send ‘Gate’ and indigo would open Gate and reply ‘opening’. Or ‘Check’ and would list devices on and would ask if wanted to turn all off (ran an hour after last person left) etc.. ‘yes’ then would turn all off etc.

Really need the bit where iMsg replies within iMsg get back into indigo....
The sending iMsg via AppleScript from within Indigo still works - just no two way discussion/ acting on messages received..
(seem to go away in High Sierra as well - but I did skip that ‘upgrade’)

Posted on
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

GlennNZ wrote:
Phrase 'Stupid apple' comes to mind removing functions - as do find iMsg communication useful and quite high WAF.

Unfortunately, just more evidence that scripting in macOS is going the way of the dinosaur... :(

Jay (Indigo Support)