GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Switch

Posted on
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:10 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: GE Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Switch

howartp wrote:
I meant, can you do it then see if Motion reports start arriving into Indigo...

You'll have to forgive me; I'm quite literal. :D

I don't do associations, so I don't necessarily know what I'm doing. I added associations within Indigo and re-synced the switch to ensure that the associations for groups 2 & 3 were uploaded to the switch.

Code: Select all
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "048 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 21, 24, 27, 28, 30, 43, 46
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "048 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigned return route
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved manufacture and model names: General Electric - 0063, Dimmable Power Switch - 494D3034
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved protocol version 4.34, app version 5.32
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved class hierarchy: Routing Slave : Mulitlevel Switch : Dimmable Power Switch (04 : 11 : 01, base 26)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved command classes: 20v1 60v4 26v2 86v1 27v1 2Bv1 2Cv1 8Ev1 70v1 71v1 72v1 73v1 56v1 59v1 5Av1 7Av1 5Ev1 85v1
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved encrypt commands: - none -
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved capabilities: routing, beaming
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved multi-endpoint types: 1:(11 : 01), 2:(07 : 01)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved multi-endpoint classes: 1:[5E 59 26], 2:[5E 59 71]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 1 associations: [1]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 2 associations: [1]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved group 3 associations: [1]
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - group 1 association to interface already exists (skipping)
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - complete

There is no log message (and apparently no debug message) sent to Indigo on motion. In looking at the technical documents (located at https://www.ezzwave.com/sites/jasco/uploads/documents/PDFs/part2/26933_Product_Page.pdf, I don't see a parm for motion notification, but I'm not familiar with the Z-Wave command classes to know if there's something there.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:20 am
howartp offline

I’ll try look tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:18 pm
howartp offline

Please could you "Read" param 20 (1 byte) and see if it gives you a response?

If it returns 1, try setting it to 2 or 3 and test motion at each point.

(Their motion sensor, not the smart motion switch, has those params - and often they'll use same params and values across products)

Peter

Posted on
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:53 pm
DaveL17 offline

Parm 20 returns 0 (zero). Tried setting it to 1 and 2, but the setting didn't take. According to the technical docs, the parm list for the Smart Dimmer only goes to 19. Thanks for trying.

Matt & Jay - if you read this, I'm happy to send it to you to gin up a profile. I'm not planning to deploy it right away, so you could hang on to it for a while.

LMK,
Dave

Posted on
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 am
johnfdl offline

I have other occupancy sensors around my house (not connected to Indigo, of course). They work just fine in rooms like laundry room, closets, basement, etc. They are great because I walk in a room and the light turns on and when I leave, they turn off. I'd love to put some in rooms like my bathroom, but I do not want the light to turn on as I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was hoping they would come up with a occupancy sensor that allowed a schedule for operation so it would just turn on if motion is sensed between 8 am and 10 pm. Of course I can put a motion sensor in the bathroom and a zwave switch and have indigo turn the light on when motion is sensed between certain hours, but I would much prefer a z-wave switch that had the motion sensor built right in...hence my interest in this. But I'm guessing the switch will tun on the lights automatically, and not honor any rules/conditions programmed into zwave controller like Indigo. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Posted on
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 pm
DaveL17 offline

johnfdl wrote:
I have other occupancy sensors around my house (not connected to Indigo, of course). They work just fine in rooms like laundry room, closets, basement, etc. They are great because I walk in a room and the light turns on and when I leave, they turn off. I'd love to put some in rooms like my bathroom, but I do not want the light to turn on as I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I was hoping they would come up with a occupancy sensor that allowed a schedule for operation so it would just turn on if motion is sensed between 8 am and 10 pm. Of course I can put a motion sensor in the bathroom and a zwave switch and have indigo turn the light on when motion is sensed between certain hours, but I would much prefer a z-wave switch that had the motion sensor built right in...hence my interest in this. But I'm guessing the switch will tun on the lights automatically, and not honor any rules/conditions programmed into zwave controller like Indigo. If I am wrong, please let me know.

There might be a way to do what you're looking for.

The switch has a configuration parameter (parameter 6) to enable/disable the motion sensor. It seems like you could create a schedule (using the Modify Z-Wave Configuration Parameter Action) that would disable the motion sensor. Say, off at 22:00 and on at 06:00. There is also a parameter (parameter 16) which enables/disables the switch, but that seems to be overkill--there may be times when you want to turn on the light in the middle of the night.

I'm not in a position to test it right now, but looking at the docs (https://www.ezzwave.com/sites/jasco/uploads/documents/PDFs/part2/26933_Product_Page.pdf) it seems like it should be possible.

Posted on
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:36 pm
blysik offline

Any chance we can get this supported in the next update? Thanks.

Posted on
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We don't publish feature ETAs but getting this one supported in the next feature release is a pretty high priority. In the mean time I believe you can capture the raw command from the motion sensor from Indigo with a Trigger. To try it use the Match Raw Packet trigger type (after selecting Z-Wave Command Received), and choose your device in the From popup menu.

For the a motion alert trigger try a Match Bytes field like this:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x07 0x08 *

And if you want to know when the motion is "cleared" by the module for another trigger use:

* 0x71 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0xFF 0x07 0x00 *

Posted on
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:41 am
blysik offline

I can confirm that trigger + code works! Thanks! That will hold me over until full support comes.

Posted on
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:31 am
DaveL17 offline

I can confirm that it works with the GE Motion Dimmer as well.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:29:49 AM
   Trigger                         GE Motion Dimmer Motion
   GE Dimmer                       Motion Detected

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:30:12 AM
   Trigger                         GE Motion Dimmer Motion Cleared
   GE Dimmer                       Motion Cleared

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:35 am
hamw offline

I'm considering purchasing some of these. Looks like they work pretty well. Any concerns? I haven't ventured into Z-wave yet... is its pretty straightforward to get these going?

Thanks,

Ham

Posted on
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:44 am
DaveL17 offline

I have only bench tested the Motion Dimmer, but it responded instantly. Using the Match Bytes code above also worked well. The only complaint I have with this device is that it comes with a color change kit that only changes the switch paddles (from white to cream); the color of the motion sensor bit is always white. Not a big deal, but I thought I should point it out.

Posted on
Sun May 12, 2019 4:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 7.3 (and 7.3.1) are now available and should support the GE Smart Motion Switches (26931 and 26933/ ZW3008).

Posted on
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:14 pm
whmoorejr offline

hamw wrote:
I'm considering purchasing some of these. Looks like they work pretty well. Any concerns? I haven't ventured into Z-wave yet... is its pretty straightforward to get these going?

I have found z-wave to be a lot easier to integrate than insteon and have been swapping out stuff as my older insteon stuff goes bad. On average they are cheeper, have more features and a larger selection of devices. The only thing that's a little odd, is (I hear) sometimes there is an issue with adding a z-wave device if it's too far away from the USB dongle. Since my USB Dongle is in my office, I will set up a new z-wave device in here then move it to whatever room it's going in. For a wire in device like this, I had a stripped plug wire on a power strip that I wired into the switch in my office... added it to indigo, shut power off to the power strip, then re-located the z-wave switch to the correct room. So far all of my z-wave stuff has been rock solid (no failed attempts to turn on/off/etc.)... but I am only up to 24 z-wave things now. With my luck, when I hit 50 devices, it will all come crashing down around me.

I started with one of these GE switches when my insteon switch in my office died. Within a week, I put one in every bedroom in the house. I was actually in the market for a plug-in type motion detector. Homeseer makes one, but it's a little pricy and since it would end up mounted in a outlet (by the floor) I'm assuming it wouldn't be that great as an occupancy sensor. This works great as you can set it up with multiple modes (Vacancy, Occupancy or Manual). Regardless of the status of the light, the motion detector is always active so you can still trigger on motion events even when the light is on, etc.

You can also adjust several of the parameters directly from indigo without taking off the cover and doing button press sequences. The manual that comes with it is lacking on parameter settings, but I found this... http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=26931/ZW4006&cert=ZC10-16105294

Just in case the link goes away... here is the stuff I found most useful....
Parameter 1: Timeout Duration
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 5
Setting   Description
0   Test (5s)
1   1 minute
5   5 minutes
15   15 minutes
30   30 minutes
255   Disable timeout

Parameter 2: Change brightness of associated light bulb(s)
0xFF = last dimming level
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 255
Setting   Description
0 - 99   Dim Level
255   Default

Parameter 3: Operation Mode
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 3
Setting   Description
1   Manual
2   Vacancy
3   Occupancy

Parameter 4: Enable/Disable Association Mode
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 1
Setting   Description
0   Disabled
1   Enabled

Parameter 5: Invert Switch
In a 3-way configuration, invert the connected Add-On Switch buttons0disabled1enabled
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 0
Setting   Description
0   Disabled
1   Enabled

Parameter 6: Enable/Disable Motion Sensor
Setting   Description
0   Disable
1   Enable

Parameter 13: Motion Sensor Sensitivity
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 2
Setting   Description
1   High
2   Medium
3   Low

Parameter 14: Enable/Disable Light Sensing
Setting   Description
0   Disabled
1   Enabled

Parameter 15: Reset Cycle
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 2
Setting   Description
0   Disable
1   10 secs
2   20 secs
3   30 secs
4   45 secs
110   27 mins

Parameter 19: Exclusion Mode
0 = press any button on the switch1 = press and releaseX button, then press and releaseONbutton
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 0
Setting   Description
0   Normal exclusion
1   Alternate exclusion

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

whmoorejr wrote:
Since my USB Dongle is in my office, I will set up a new z-wave device in here then move it to whatever room it's going in.

FYI, this isn't the recommended procedure as it could make the internal Z-Wave network routes wrong. If you do this, then you should resync the device once it's in it's final location - that will correct it's internal neighbor's list so that Z-Wave routing will work well/better. It's likely that in your environment it doesn't matter because all devices you have can talk directly to the interface (or maybe you have enough that can such that the routing is less of an issue), but for other installations that won't be the case; so when you move the device from your setup location (office for you) to the final destination the device won't work reliably because the network routes are wrong.

In general, you should always first try to include the device when it's in it's final location using the inclusion button on the device dialog. We've seen relatively few cases where the inclusion fails, and that's generally because there aren't enough devices to create a reliable network (also some devices just have weaker radios than others). But of course YMMV... :)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn