SecuritySpy 32 Camera License for Sale $350

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:22 pm
george99 offline

SecuritySpy 32 Camera License for Sale $350

Hi,
I no longer use security spy. I have the 32 Camera License that costs normally 499 Pounds, which is over $500 USD.
I will sell it for $350. PM Me.

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:36 pm
noel1983 offline

Re: SecuritySpy 32 Camera License for Sale $350

Would you be happy to share what you now use instead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:38 pm
george99 offline

Blue Iris.
Security spy was using an insane amount of CPU power for my 24 cameras.
Blue Iris uses a fraction.

I had a Mac Pro Dual Xeon 12 core monster and it was using unreal amounts of power for my cameras. It was extremely hot too. Now I have a small i7 laptop and it handles it easily with only about 20% cpu usage.

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:38 pm
noel1983 offline

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:58 pm
chase offline

Blue Iris is awesome.

And stupid cheap for what you get.

Not sure why you would run anything else.

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

lanbrown wrote:
If you don't want a Windows install would be one reason.

+1

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 pm
george99 offline

Yeah, I didn't want windows, but for the money and the CPU usage, it was worth it. I got a dedicated laptop just for it, I deleted all the crapware that HP installs.

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:34 am
neilk offline

I understand that for some Windows is an evil, and if you want to keep it on a single box then security spy makes sense if you have the horsepower. Blue Iris running on Windows headless works extremely well, and doesn’t require too much attention. (I need to reboot my Indigo box more often). You can pick up ex corporate i7’s on eBay and adding an SSD for the system and and big disk for storage and you have a very capable system with a great web UI and fantastic indigo integration. You cannot get any Mac hardware with the power for anywhere near the price.

My view is my Mac mini is very likely to walk if the worst was to happen, but a grubby old PC in my loft hidden away is not likely to get too much attention.

No axe to grind, but you may miss out just on he principle it is Windows as once installed it rarely needs attention. For the price Blue Iris is Isanely good value and my whole setup came in at around the same price as SS license alone.

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:08 am
george99 offline

neilk wrote:
I understand that for some Windows is an evil, and if you want to keep it on a single box then security spy makes sense if you have the horsepower. Blue Iris running on Windows headless works extremely well, and doesn’t require too much attention. (I need to reboot my Indigo box more often). You can pick up ex corporate i7’s on eBay and adding an SSD for the system and and big disk for storage and you have a very capable system with a great web UI and fantastic indigo integration. You cannot get any Mac hardware with the power for anywhere near the price.

My view is my Mac mini is very likely to walk if the worst was to happen, but a grubby old PC in my loft hidden away is not likely to get too much attention.

No axe to grind, but you may miss out just on he principle it is Windows as once installed it rarely needs attention. For the price Blue Iris is Isanely good value and my whole setup came in at around the same price as SS license alone.

I agree. Windows 8 is what made me switch to Mac. It had to be the most idiotically built OS of all time. I just said enough was enough, and I switched to Mac, and never looked back. Since then, I rarely touch windows, and when I do, it seems awkward. But I almost had no choice. I literally had to have a dedicated portable air conditioner running in the closet where the Mac Pro was running, because it would get close to 100 degrees. I am in south Florida, and that doesn't help either. I bought a refurb i7 8th generation ( or whatever the newest one is, I forgot) laptop with some very good specs for about $500 on eBay. Blue iris cost pennies compared to security spy. Personally to me it seems a bit harder to navigate all the settings, but, besides that, it doesn't need all that CPU power that can heat a sauna.
I don't trust windows to run 24/7 non stop without some sort of blue screen of death, or some crash, but so far so good for the last couple of months using windows 10.

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:59 am
RogueProeliator offline

I realize that you already have a good solution for you, but for others following the thread I might just throw out one other option -- when I built my Plex server I decided to go with an old Dell PowerEdge rack mount server. You can pick up slightly older servers on eBay darn cheap as companies that require more horsepower swap out on their regular refresh cycles. I'm guessing that Security Spy would be similar to my experience with Plex:

I had it on a MacMini that today probably can be picked up for $200 or whatever. My PowerEdge is ~$150-200 on eBay now... but, no exaggeration, the PowerEdge has 8-10x the power of the mini when transcoding video.

You can run Linux on those boxes too for those not interested in Windows, which might work for some applications, though not necessarily Blue Iris. The only real downside, and this IS a consideration, is that the fans can kick up to be pretty loud. If you are running it in a server closet or basement or something this usually isn't a major concern. Middle of the office, though, would be a bit loud.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:21 pm
chase offline

You don't have to have a Win box, I run Blue Iris in a VM and it just works.

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:17 pm
akimball offline

As luck would have it, I just forked over $431 USD for security spy... and 15 minutes later saw your offer. I've been using SS for 25 days for free and went to Oa'hu and back... SS ran very nicely. 10% CPU bandwidth in my 2014 Mac Mini.... sometimes 11%. That was running 9 cameras. I have a new Color Night Vision Camera coming in later this week, POE, 4K too, to fill out my license closer to 15 or 16 cams or so if this one works. I'm definitely in love with color night vision.

I should be good to run these cameras at a little better frame rate and perhaps use 25% of the mac Mini bandwidth.

I realize that if I ever need more than 16 cams I'll need a Mac with more horsepower. I will never ever buy a PC... use one all day at work; that's enough. Wife is in agreement. :roll:

I'll be trying to integrate SS with Indigo using the Homebridge software in the next little while.........

Tip: if you want to get rid of the bugs attracted to your camera's IR lights... turn the IR in the Camera off and put an IR illuminator array somewhere else in the yard.
Last edited by akimball on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Al

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:21 am
RogueProeliator offline

Tip: if you want to get rid of the bugs attracted to your camera's IR lights... turn the IR in the Camera off and put an IR sensor array somewhere else in the yard.

Interesting, had not thought of that... the bugs definitely like to bump and grind my cameras! :) You have one in particular that you use and are happy with?

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:05 am
akimball offline

Hi,

Here is the one I use currently

https://www.amazon.com/Univivi-Illuminator-Infrared-Security-Cameras/dp/B075F7NV56/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1537278021&sr=8-7&keywords=IR+camera+light

....it's okay (it does turn on and off automatically) but I'm not completely happy with it for two reasons: 1) It's ugly and conspicuous and 2) the power consumption can be high for IR lighting... and should be high when needed. If you want to light up an outdoor space then lots of IR light can be a good thing. There is another IR light I've had my eye on, still ugly but much more power....

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR130-198-Outdoor-300-400ft-Illuminator/dp/B004F9LF7E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537278649&sr=8-4&keywords=ir+illuminator+for+security+camera

In a really large yard, I'd actually like to really blast the IR lighting brightly at times. For this reason and also for power savings I'd really like to have a 'dimmable' IR light. As far as I can tell, I'm the only weirdo in the IR Illuminator universe who is thinking about this 'dimmable' feature. I'm not going to pursuit it until I do a bit more experimenting with Color Night Vision cameras (CNV).....which Has a really sensitive CCD array to make use of the light which is available at night; amazing night pictures. So I'd like to get away from IR cameras completely.

I've just ordered one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HH3WSNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

....and need to make sure SecuritySpy will work with it.... it's ONVIF, POE, CNV, and 4K.... and not too expensive. I have high hopes for it. Will still need IR lighting for a few years but hope to change all the cameras to CNV after awhile. So far I have a CNV doorbell camera (SkyBell HD) with incredible night lighting and I'm in love with it. Until I try the dimmable IR idea, I'm not sure how well that will work. I don't find any dimmable IR lights immediately........ and their all darn ugly! :shock:

-Al

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:23 pm
george99 offline

Nice idea. I am in Florida and have a swamp here. They are always covered with spider webs.