kw123 offline

TV streaming

would like to get some advice on TV streaming

tried
1. Google TV
2. Hulu
3. ATT- direct tv

on apple TV.
None of them is stable. They all hang. Need to be power cycled and then you need to reenter password . once a day.. don't have eg HGTV

AND wife is lost in the menus .. wants old style simple remote back

Am I the only one with these problems?

Karl

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:39 pm
agame offline

Re: TV streaming

HD Homerun (using Channels as the ATV app) works perfectly.
And the program schedule UI is very intuitive.

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 am
kw123 offline

TV streaming

agame wrote:
that needs an extra device? Ie antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:30 am
mat offline

No antenna needed in the uk - the atv uses the streaming services.

In my experience ATV's have historically been flakey or demanding in terms of wifi quality - I'm currently using the 4k version and no issues at all streaming - wired.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:07 am
roussell offline

I use PlayStation Vue on FireTVs throughout the house. In general no complaints except they don’t have locals in my area so for that I use a 4 tuner Tablo for OTA local programming. The Tablo app runs on the FireTVs along with PSVue. With both we get almost everything we watch live or DVR (cloud DVR with PSVue, local USB HD with Tablo)

The only annoyance is during football season, there’s no way to quickly surf between channels, especially if what you want to see is on two different apps

Terry

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:50 am
RogueProeliator offline

on apple TV.
None of them is stable. They all hang. Need to be power cycled and then you need to reenter password . once a day.. don't have eg HGTV

Perhaps you should try a different streaming BOX instead of service... the Rokus are pretty simple and cheap. I use YouTube TV but have also tried Sling TV and both have been rock solid without any hiccups (even with multiple streams going at once). I haven't used Hulu in a long while (several years) but had no issues streaming that either. We use Roku and Chromecast devices to stream as well as Xbox.

Sling had HGTV, can't remember if it was base or an add-on though. We settled on YouTube TV as it was the only one that provided the local TV stations on the stream so didn't need an external antenna and didn't place any limits on the Cloud DVR functionality. I do miss History channel, which again Sling TV had. SO might check them out in your case...

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am
mat offline

For the slightly more expensive items, I have inserted a few of these .... (cheaper than I remember - now thinking of distributing everything!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edision-HDMI-M ... +modulator

Each as a single HDMI input and coax in and out (pass-though)t. I mix them into the terrestrial feed after the TV roof arial, which are then distributed via coax to each room. The better half can view the cctv, and ATV using the TV remote (eg channel 800 and 801 - you set on the device). Each device creates a local channel that the TV tuner picks up, and can be controlled by the Iphone app. Not sure thats what your looking for but could be food for thought.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kw123 wrote:

Am I the only one with these problems?

I have an Apple TV 4k, and Apple TV 4, and an Apple TV 3 (this one is almost exclusively for Hulu), all of which are used for some period of time every day. I don't frequently experience any of the issues you're describing.

I do periodically (a couple of times a month at most) have to enter my passwords again. HBO Now seems to be the worst of the bunch and it's more difficult because they want you to authenticate with their servers even though you're paying through Apple so you have to remember that username/password as well, but it does happen in other places. I'm still chalking this up to the relative newness of the apps on the 4's. But that is quickly becoming an excuse that doesn't hold water...

On the 4's, I do sometimes have to reboot (less than once a month). I suspect (but don't know for sure) that the auto update mechanism puts things into an odd state that just requires a reboot. It's definitely not to the point that I would consider putting them on a controllable device so I could automate the restart and hopefully it will never get that bad.

I use Harmony Remotes to control them and for the most part they do everything. If for some reason I have to force-quit an app (3rd party app quality is another story) on the 4's then I have to get the Apple remote (I could probably fix that if I could find the right button definition) but it's not yet a big enough issue to really look into it. There are a few 3rd party apps that really require the Apple TV remote, but I just don't use those apps (after sending a note to the developers). For streaming apps, there is no good reason to require gestures for control.

<rant>I find the Netflix app on the 4's to be terrible. Hard to navigate, sometimes things just don't show up (the My List and the Continue Watching lines very frequently just disappear, only to reappear after minutes/hours). The Netflix guys spend way too much time trying to make all their apps look/feel the same. And the result is that they generally suck everywhere IMO. Way too much of the screen is dedicated to the detail and not nearly enough to the list(s).</rant>

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 pm
Different Computers offline

jay (support) wrote:
HBO Now seems to be the worst of the bunch

You must not subscribe to AMC then. Every. Other. Day. HBO Go, and before that, HBO Now, only asked me every month or so.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 am
roquej offline

Also, consider the PlayStation Vue streaming service. You DO NOT need a PlayStation. I use it with Apple TV 4th Gen and it works great. Not only with the selection of channels but also the quality of the streaming. Has built-in DVR.

JP

Posted on
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 am
kw123 offline

Sony Vue seems to work and w likes it.

Have hgtv and hbo live.

Menu is clear and straight forward. Only the Favorit settings is a bIt confusing. But may be that’s me.

But that’s only one hour so far.

Karl

Posted on
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 am
kw123 offline

Sony Vue seems to work and w likes it.

Have hgtv and hbo live.

Menu is clear and straight forward. Only the Favorit settings is a bIt confusing. But may be that’s me.

But that’s only one hour so far.

Karl

Posted on
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:37 am
roussell offline

I’ve been with Vue for over a year now, after trying everything that is/was available as an alternative. It’s not perfect, and I miss the History channel, but it otherwise has suited us well.

Terry

Posted on
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:32 pm
kw123 offline

just realized that sony has lost the ABC TV channels this spring

Posted on
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:28 pm
agame offline

kw123 wrote:
agame wrote:
that needs an extra device? Ie antenna?

it depends which model, and the copyright environment of your country.
In AU, an antenna is needed to collect 40 or 50 free-to-air channels, as they can't be redistributed digitally - not so I gather in the US.