Instead long lag/delay

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Instead long lag/delay

Did you unplug the A/C (not just turn it off)?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 pm
george99 offline

Just turned off.
I’ll be home soon and unplug and see what happens.

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:55 pm
RogueProeliator offline

However, one issue. The mac mini that runs indigo is on a UPS for obvious reasons. I suppose I could run a long extension cord to connect the insteon to a different circuit, but how do most people handle this? I am sure I am not the only one that keeps their indigo server on a UPS.

FWIW, if you purchased the FilterLinc devices, leave them on the UPSes -- I have 4 UPS units all on FilterLinc that are on the same circuit as my PowerLinc and don't have any issues. Of course, I also have 6 more in next room (different circuit) without any filters and don't have problems. Quality/brand of UPS may help here...

But at any rate it sounds like you have have eliminated that as the sole cause. Just a thought - you might have multiple signal issues that "build up" and not a single source. If you haven't already, try as many suggestions as practical all at once...

Adam

Posted on
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 pm
george99 offline

I unplugged AC and still no luck.
But what doesn’t make sense is the survey plugin.
Every single device timed out? My insteon devices do work right SOME of the time.
This is saying that nothin ever works.

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:31 am
RogueProeliator offline

Just a thought, though this is very extreme as it is disruptive as heck to anyone in the house, but you could flip the circuit breakers nearly all off, leaving the PowerLinc one on... test close devices on the same circuit, then expand out from there, turning one circuit on at a time. Of course, devices with RF too may skew this a bit, but I believe if you hit a very dirty circuit you would get interference even with the dual-link. Matt/Jay could correct me if I am wrong on that.

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

george99 wrote:
I unplugged AC and still no luck.
But what doesn’t make sense is the survey plugin.
Every single device timed out? My insteon devices do work right SOME of the time.
This is saying that nothin ever works.

No, it just means that at the specific time that the Survey plugin was working the signal noise was particularly bad. At the times when things do sometimes work, the signal loss was in some lessoned state. The sometimes it works nature of the issue seems to indicate that it is something that doesn't run constantly in the house.

RogueProeliator wrote:
Just a thought, though this is very extreme as it is disruptive as heck to anyone in the house, but you could flip the circuit breakers nearly all off, leaving the PowerLinc one on... test close devices on the same circuit, then expand out from there, turning one circuit on at a time. Of course, devices with RF too may skew this a bit, but I believe if you hit a very dirty circuit you would get interference even with the dual-link. Matt/Jay could correct me if I am wrong on that.

This is probably the next step to try. I would leave the RF devices out of the devices you test in this scenario as they may end up being red herrings. Focus on devices that are connected to the main power (either directly or plugged into an outlet).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:40 pm
george99 offline

Ok, I THINK I found the problem.
I have about 75 instead devices. 55 of them are dimmer switches.
Anyway, there are several that use a 3-way setup. There are also 2 8-button keypads. The keypads are essentially set up to just be remote switches for various other dimmer/switches. I believe it is all a case of the devicelinks and syncing. I resented every one of the instead devices, and cleaned up a lot of the device linking. Suddenly everything is almost good now.
I still get some flashing red lights, and I am not sure why. For example when I turn a switch on and off, indigo instantly reflects the status change. When I turn that same switch on and off from indigo, the switch instantly replies. However, when I do it from the switch, I still get the red light almost every time. I looked at the switch's links, and it isn't linked to anything, except one device that says it cannot be deleted, and I have no idea what that device is. I looked for it's address, and it does not match any of my devices.

I think I am getting close to having my issue solved.

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:44 am
george99 offline

Ok, this was definitely the problem. I resented everything one by one, and cleaned up some of the device links. However, like I said above, there are many devices with a link to an instead address that I don't have and indigo shows that it cannot be removed.
Any idea what that is?

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

A factory reset of the PowerLinc and device should get rid of those. However, you can open the manage links dialog while holding down the Option key and it will allow you to delete those links. Just be very careful that you don't delete something that's supposed to be there.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that if you EVER had an Insteon Hub hooked up and talking to devices, that's where these links came from. This is one of the main reasons why we very much discourage running a PowerLinc and a Hub at the same time.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:17 pm
george99 offline

Well you nailed it. I did have an insteon hub a few months ago.
I will try doing what you said.
Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:44 pm
george99 offline

The option key isn't allowing me to delete.
I attached a screenshot to show you what I am seeing.
BTW, how would factory restoring the powerlinc help? I thought these links were from switch to switch, and not via the powerlinc.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 16.42.57.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 16.42.57.png (82.38 KiB) Viewed 2481 times

Posted on
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You're not holding down the Option key at the right time apparently. Hold it down and select the Interfaces->Insteon/X10 Power Line->Manage Device Links... menu item.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:13 am
george99 offline

Ok thanks, I got that working now and deleted all the unknowns.
However, I do have some other stuff that I am not sure what it is and I can't delete. See attached image. Some say unknown device with empty link. Those cannot be deleted even with the OPT key. Also there are some that say internal read only link, and others that say masked.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 8.10.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 8.10.56 AM.png (231.92 KiB) Viewed 2408 times

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:59 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Neither of those can/should be deleted or edited:

"internal read only" links are required (and added) by Indigo.
"empty links" are just where a link used to be that was deleted.

Posted on
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:03 am
george99 offline

Great thanks.
However, with all my messing around here, I deleted one that said masked.
What harm is done, and how should I proceed to get fixed?