Dead Edgerouter Lite 3.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:30 am
siclark offline

Dead Edgerouter Lite 3.

As the titke says, my ERL3 died yesterday, possibly result of long term over heating in my rack (cooling is now improved).
I have a back up in place for now but need to replace it.

Other than basic firewall and DNS reservations I just have VPN setup on it m to remote back in securely.

I have 3 unifi APs using a cloud hosted controller so my question is, do I quickest route of buying new ERL and restoring backup of my settings on to it, or nice to the USG and setup from scratch but gain integration into this plugin?

I'm swaying towards the USG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:40 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Dead Edgerouter Lite 3.

I went from an ER5-POE to a USG Pro 4 and couldn't be happier. I'm now 100% UniFi and like very much having the ability to have everything integrated into a single UniFi controller (I use a Cloud Key). I don't use Karl's plugin, but that seems like it would be the icing on the cake for you.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:49 am
siclark offline

Cheers.
I have an added problem that my APs have dropped off my 3rd party hosted cloud controller so also looking at setting up my own, either using cloud key, running software on Mac or rPi or on a virtual Google cloud massive which is apparently free.
Anyone got experience of running their own software Vs the cloud key?

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:58 am
DaveL17 offline

Before I went with the Cloud Key, I ran the controller software on the same Mac with Indigo (I didn't run it in daemon mode; just logged in to make adjustments and whatnot).

Apparently they're about to issue a new generation of Cloud Key that includes a front panel display and integrated storage. It looks nice!

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:59 am
siclark offline

Ooh, I hadn't realised there was a Pro USG

Looking at the specs it's better processor and RAM.
Superficially throughout looks same but where would I gain from better hardware siege and hardware acceleration? It's only home network but lots of streaming and 2 of us use as home office and VoIP calling.

USG
Processor Dual-Core 500 MHz, MIPS64
System Memory.512 MB DDR2 RAM
On-Board Flash Storage. 2 GB
Packet Size: 64 Bytes. 1,000,000 pps
Packet Size: 512 Bytes or Larger
3 Gbps (Line Rate)

Pro
Layer 3 Forwarding Performance
Packet Size: 64 Bytes1,000,000 pps
Packet Size: 512 Bytes or Larger
1 Gbps per Port Line Rate
Processor Dual-Core 1 GHz, MIPS64 with Hardware Acceleration for Packet Processing
System Memory. 2 GB DDR3 RAM
On-Board Flash Storage. 4 GB

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:20 am
DaveL17 offline

I went with the Pro to be "future proof" and decided to treat myself. Another difference between the two is the number of simultaneous connections; although, to be honest, the USG will handle more than enough connections for a home network.

I will say this about the Pro 4. IT IS LOUD. My rack is in the basement and noise is a complete non-issue. If it were in a home theater, office, or anywhere people are, that should be a consideration. There are posts online of how to replace the fans with much quieter ones, but I haven't done that for fear of voiding my warranty. I suspect that UniFi figured that these things would be mounted in server rooms with massive HVAC systems and noise was probably not a consideration for them.

Given the option, I would do the same thing again.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 am
siclark offline

I was thinking of same to future proof, but that's for 3-5+ years time when we have the kids streaming 4k video simultaneously.
But if the life of these boxes is less than that, I might just upgrade in a few years. All internal stuff goes through the switch and I believe bypasses the router so doesn't sound like much need for it.
Internet connection is 220/10 which the standard one should easily cope with.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:40 pm
DaveL17 offline

I know that many folks go with the USG and are perfectly happy with it. The difference in price is not inconsequential.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:06 pm
siclark offline

Cheers... I have gone with the USG. I even have a cloud controller up and running in google cloud. Took 20 minutes,. Still to decide whether to switch from my existing controller.

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:14 pm
DaveL17 offline

Cheers — enjoy!

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:02 pm
kw123 offline

Just FYI. The usg pro4 might not work with the UniFi plugin—- not tested the dB dict might be different.

I have the regular usg and my throughput is 950mbit with att fiber

If you use active package filtering you would benefit from the more powerful usg.

Karl

If someone wants to send me a usg pro 4 I would be happy to add it to the plugin ;)

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:20 am
rhanson offline

I know you've gone with the USG, but I figured I would share some experience here for others...

There's now an EdgeRouter 4, which is a highly souped-up ER but WITHOUT the fan. I upgraded from an ER-PoE when one died.

EdgeRouters have oodles of power, both in processing and in the underlying OS. There are user-created add-ons to simplify automated backups (including even committing each change to github if that's your thing). You really need to be comfortable with the Linux command line, though.

Most things that work on EdgeRouters also work on UniFi routers. UniFi is designed primarily with the GUI and centralized administration first, and power second. EdgeRouter is the opposite, kinda. But some stuff isn't made available on the UniFi line, to keep them simpler to administer. And while you have the full command-line stuff under the hood, there are some significant configuration differences.

Ubnt also has a graphical manager for the EdgeMax and AirMax stuff, too. But it requires that you run yet another virtual machine, probably not worth it unless you have a ton of gear.

Also, these things die, a lot. But they are so cheap (compared to the enterprise gear they compete with), it doesn't matter. Have one ready to go on the shelf as a spare. With recent backups, you'll be back up and running on new hardware within an hour.

Posted on
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 pm
kw123 offline

Dead Edgerouter Lite 3.

if you want to go bold go for the XG gateway .. and it is only ~ $2500..
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 21.26.44.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 21.26.44.png (96.16 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
But I doubt I would ever need to support 20,000 devices..

Posted on
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:25 am
siclark offline

Posted on
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:26 am
siclark offline

kw123 wrote:

If someone wants to send me a usg pro 4 I would be happy to add it to the plugin ;)