Modern IR Device Control (Mac)

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm
michaelu offline

Long ago I used to use a USB enabled ZephIR to have my Mac be able to 'fire' IR commands to control any components on my AV rack.

I have not needed IR control again until recently, new home, new rules.

I can not find any references to a modern version of a IR control interface in the Indigo forums, for the Mac that will allow Indigo do control my AV devices.

What do I need to get in order for my Mac / Indigo to be able to shoot off IR commands to control my AV systems? (Turn on TV, amp, etc)

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:21 pm
siclark offline

Re: Modern IR Device Control (Mac)

The cheapest option is probably to get a Harmony remote with hub and blasters and use the Logitech plugin to control it.

The more bespoke solution is to use the iTach IR products.

https://www.vesternet.com/smart-home/mu ... ed-control

I'm pretty sure there is a plugin for those as well. They are definitely not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm
Different Computers offline

I have a Harmony hub, and after using it with indigo for a year or more, I wish I had the global cache itach equipment instead. I find the Harmony software interface awkward, and when something doesn’t turn on or turn off correctly, it’s very difficult to figure out what the problem was.

But it is cheaper!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:49 pm
siclark offline

Different Computers wrote:
I have a Harmony hub, and after using it with indigo for a year or more, I wish I had the global cache itach equipment instead. I find the Harmony software interface awkward, and when something doesn’t turn on or turn off correctly, it’s very difficult to figure out what the problem was.

But it is cheaper!

I control 3 TVs, amp, cable box, dvd, hdmi matrix and Apple TV with mine. All For £100 with the hub outputs routed over Cat6 hdmi extenders to a central cupboard then through the matrix and out to other rooms.

Can't imagine what that with itach would cost!

Plus then there is a remote that guests can use rather than tablets or voice.

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:05 pm
mundmc offline

I used (and intend to re-start using) the Global Cache IP2IR and Perry’s Cynical Cache plug-in.

Global Cache IP2IR iTach Wired TCP/IP to IR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BFTKUC/re ... EBb8DPKAA8

https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/113/

I was pretty surprised how easy I could customize it once I got the hang of it, and it uses 3.5mm cords as well as IR blasters.

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 pm
siclark offline

Not fair. You pay $90 and we have to pay £140!

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 pm
mat offline

I have both Itac and Harmony - both work equally well, but neither provide feedback. If you have an option for IP control, thats the better way to go. I have found most of the AV equipment I have purchased recently has IP, especially if you check the plugin store out before you shop!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:21 pm
siclark offline

mat wrote:
I have both Itac and Harmony - both work equally well, but neither provide feedback. If you have an option for IP control, thats the better way to go. I have found most of the AV equipment I have purchased recently has IP, especially if you check the plugin store out before you shop!

That's why I bought a Denon amp and Panasonic TV recently. I can control it all directly with indigo, except when wife picks up harmony remote it doesn't know what settings it's on and won't control the right devices. Means I have to use harmony.
She's not interested in finding the right phone app, tablets run out of battery and voice is no use for skipping through ads.

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:26 pm
Londonmark offline

I used an IRtrans plus iRed software on a Mac which I managed to link into Indigo with some inept scripting. Surprisingly my scripting wasn’t the problem - it was more that the IRtrans device for me at least was a bit hit and miss.

I’ve now gone for a Harmony Hub and find it much better.

Posted on
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:59 pm
mat offline

She's not interested in finding the right phone app, tablets run out of battery and voice is no use for skipping through ads.

To get over the "complication" factor, I made single universal remote on one control page - buttons to select which bit of kit (which set a variable), and lots of "if" statements and actions on the button based on that variable - she, sorry one of us, now has one remote with one set of buttons for all the TV's and BR players/ATV etc, she just needs to select the room or tec at the top of the page.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:48 am
siclark offline

That sounds impressive, but I think when me still prefers the physical remote buttons for simple tasks.
Now.... If someone were to make a zwave TV remote with customisable buttons using same if statements type thing, that would be cool

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 am
RogueProeliator offline

That sounds impressive, but I think when me still prefers the physical remote buttons for simple tasks.
Now.... If someone were to make a zwave TV remote with customisable buttons using same if statements type thing, that would be cool

We have bemoaned the lack of that device on and off here for years... something similar to the older Harmony remotes with the 2 or 3" screen up top and side physical buttons -- except that runs Android or other customization-aware system. That way the Play/Pause/FF/RW/etc. could issue an IP command OR and IR command depending on your device configuration. I use DomoPad to control all my A/V, but I much prefer physical buttons like you.

Matt/Jay should go ahead and launch a Kickstarter campaign for that, surely they don't have their hands full with others stuff! :-)

Posted on
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:40 am
siclark offline

Page 1 of 1