What's an example of a useful configuration?

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:33 pm
colovin offline

What's an example of a useful configuration?

I'd love to get this going so I don't need to replace an I/O link that went south that has sensors at the top and bottom of the door. Worked for years letting me know when it was open and closed. I would think I could do more with this plugin if I can get it setup right.

I have a Craftsman Door opener. I successfully set it up, it created a device "Garage Door Opener (CGXXXXXXXXX) (myQ Door Opener). It shows the status as locked or unlocked and I can open and close the door from the device panel so I have to assume that I have the door device setup correctly. My problem is getting it trigger anything.

I set up a trigger, "Garage Door Opening" which I had with my old setup. When triggered there is an announcement that, "The garage door is opening", among other things.

My new setup: trigger action, the Type, MyQ Event, the only event that I have available is, "MyQ Door Status Mismatch". I don't know if that's telling me there is some sort of configuration problem. But under Type, Device State Changed, I have: Device, Garage Door Opener/Door Status is Opening/and have experimented with, "Becomes True" and "Has Any Change". If I Hit, "Execute Actions Now" I get the desired response. I can not get the action of the Garage door opening or closing to execute the trigger. I've tried the manual open button in the garage. I've tried using the app on my phone which if that’s the way it works it wouldn't be useful because I only use the app when I'm coming in from running in the morning. And I've tried Opening and closing it via the lock and unlock buttons in the device panel. Nothing fires the trigger.

Another approach I tired was to setup a Garage Door Opening variable, which I tried having the Device State Changed actions change a variable from false to true which if that worked I could execute a chain of events through the variable change. Same result as above.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, there must be another approach to this.

Indigo 7.1.1, OS 10.14.6, MacMini .3.2 GHz 6 Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:16 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: What's an example of a useful configuration?

You want to trigger on the device state changing. The easiest way to do what you want (I think) is to trigger whenever the door changes from the closed state.

Don't forget - the plugin has to poll the MyQ servers, so there can be a long delay until the door status updates and the trigger fires.

I use the plugin to control the door, but I use Z-wave tilt sensor to detect movement. The plugin has provisions for that, and if the tilt sensor doesn't match the reported state is when that mismatch trigger fires.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 6.15.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 6.15.15 PM.png (122.45 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 pm
colovin offline

OK, that worked but like you said, it was a long time for a response. I guess I'm going to have to get another I/O Link in, that is instantaneous. Under the Edit Device Setting it brings up a Sensor Device which I assume would be for Z-Wave Tilt sensor. I've got several I/O devices that show up in that field. Can an I/O device be used or is Z-Wave the only thing that works here?

I changed in the confiture My Q Update device status frequency from 10 to the min 5 and the Delay after MyQ command from 30 to 5. Will that help speed things up or am I asking for trouble here?

Lastly will the open and close commands work quickly? If I were to setup a condition to open the garage door does that happen right way or does it have to wait for a poll to execute?

Thanks for your input on this.

Posted on
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:15 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Commands, as answered, are immediate. But it's a cloud service so you can't poll continuously. There's no way to make the cloud service useful for "real time" updates on the door state.

The sensor device is any binary sensor which corresponds to the desired state of the door. The Z-wave tilt sensors work for that. I would expect an I/O Link would also work, or some other kind of contact sensor. There might be an issue with the comparison logic if the open/closed states are logically opposite. If that's the case I'll update the plugin to handle that.

The "Delay after MyQ command" is the amount of time to wait after the door command is sent before checking that the states match. For example, if you send a close command it can take a minute or more for the door to actually close. MyQ has a built-in delay before it'll actually start the door moving (it flashes the lights to warn it's going to move), then there's actual movement time. So the plugin needs to wait before it checks the state and triggers the event. I think I have the delay set to 30 seconds by default. Making it shorter will almost guarantee that you get false reporting of the state mismatch. It has NOTHING to do with how fast the state is updated.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:27 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

IO-Linc's with the door sensor from Smarthome work fine (I added the support myself).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:56 am
colovin offline

I don't have the official Smarthome door sensor, not sure they had it when I put mine together but it's the same thing. It would be great to integrate in with the MyQ plugin. I need to replace the IO-Linc, it's so old it died. Does the plugin just react to any change of state? I put one of my other IO-Lincs in the field expecting to see another subfield but there wasn't one. With the sensor in place do all the other device state options became viable?

Love the opening ability. I run every morning with a old decommissioned iPhone tracking my workout. I've got wifi in the front yard so when I'm finished the workout gets sent to the cloud and I open the garage door with the app which it can sometime take awhile to get the attention of the server. I experimented with the photo beam (another IO-Linc) that goes across the front yard which lets me know when someone has come into the yard. Setup conditions , time of day, alarm state, etc. and volia the garage door opened at the end of my run. I don't want to use the photo beam because an animal can trip it so in the real version I'll tie it to my mail box (another IO-Linc) so I just need to open my mail box within the specified conditions to open the garage. Who knew that I could expand the mail notification system. :-)

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:33 pm
FlyingDiver offline

colovin wrote:
Does the plugin just react to any change of state? I put one of my other IO-Lincs in the field expecting to see another subfield but there wasn't one. With the sensor in place do all the other device state options became viable?

I'm not sure what you mean by viable. The ONLY thing the linked sensor does is let you know when there's a mis-match. That is, MyQ thinks the door is open but the sensor doesn't. Or vice-versa. It's for detecting some sort of error condition.

The other state options work as intended (I believe), but since most of those are transient states it's unlikely that the plugin would happen to poll the MyQ servers at the exact time one of those states is active. But if the mis-match event triggers, you can look at the device state to see if the MyQ system thinks the door is stuck or something.

Is there something specific you're trying to do?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:47 pm
colovin offline

What I had / have setup before was to announce when the door was opening and then start a timer. If I've overridden the 10 minute timer that's built into the opener, it will let me know if the door has been open for x amount of time.. This all works fine with what I already have setup, was just seeing if I could integrate it into one place. Just need to get another IO-Linc. :-)

Page 1 of 1