Using the Indigo server without an internet connection

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 pm
cjbarker offline

Using the Indigo server without an internet connection

A nearby lightning strike has taken out our internet connection and the provider can’t get here to fix it until Tuesday. The Mac that runs our Indigo server is up and running, but I had to restart it. Now I can’t start the Indigo server because it wants to verify the license over the internet. Is there anyway to bypass this, at least until we get our internet access back?

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Using the Indigo server without an internet connection

Indigo caches the license information when you first run it, so having an Internet connection is not required except the very first time you run a particular version of Indigo. Is it running on a different Mac or something?

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:54 am
mat offline

Matt,

EDIT - It was Crome causing my issues
Last edited by mat on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:36 am
cjbarker offline

Maybe the real problem is that the server wants me to re-enter my IndigoDomo username and password it each time it is started. This has been happening since I upgraded to Indigo 7 (now 7.1.1). Never had to do it before.

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

mat wrote:
I've had suspicions my install was doing the same as my internet connection has been playing up for a month. My server died on Thursday night (no fault of indigo of course)so can look at any logs but prior I had had to reboot a number of times and was I was trying to isolate why indigo was struggling to boot. It was intermittent, but the indigo server struggled about 25% of the reboots. As soon as the internet connection returned, indigo booted perfectly.

It is possible that something is hanging up waiting for Internet connectivity, but I don't think it is the core Indigo Server functionality (we tested that with no Internet). Is it possible you have scripts or plugins that don't gracefully timeout or handle connectionless environments.

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:15 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

cjbarker wrote:
Maybe the real problem is that the server wants me to re-enter my IndigoDomo username and password it each time it is started. This has been happening since I upgraded to Indigo 7 (now 7.1.1). Never had to do it before.

We've improved that in the next release. There are certain conditions under which it gets confused and re-prompts for authentication. You can just close the window and ignore it though.

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am
cjbarker offline

The dialogue box that comes up doesn’t allow you to dismiss it. Here is a picture of the dialogue box:

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ignoring it is OK however.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:13 pm
cjbarker offline

The picture I took is too large to send, but basically it is telling me to log in to activate my license. All of the Indigo menus are grayed out, so I can’t do anything until I enter a valid login .

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:27 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure there is the red close circle/dot thingy at the top left of that dialog window. Can you email us a screen capture: support AT indigo DOT com.

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm
cjbarker offline

Support_@_indigo_._com without the underscores bounces.

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

indigodomo.com

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:59 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
indigodomo.com

Oops, yeah that instead. :oops:

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm
mat offline

Matt,

I stand corrected and bow to your better judgement - Crome was causing my problems, so my apologies - its was trying to update 14 times a second appears to have put a load on the processors!

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm
stevenu offline

Though, in your resent informative email, version 7.1 up seems to be closer tied to internet access. What about off grid / remote applications? The reason I ask, before I upgrade, I have Indigo installed on a large sailboat managing lights, sensors and onboard power systems. Batteries, generators, solar panels, etc. Sometimes the boat goes months with out reliable or any internet connectivity. Lots of power fluctuations, up and downs. Present server is i7 MacBook Air because of it’s “built-In UPS” which also monitors and relays navigation systems. Version 6 is a great product, simple, stable and reliable. I believe in subscriptions, it creates the funds for you to create a better product.

I have already purchase 7.2 for testing for another problem, which will lead to another post, but still have not updated the yacht's system.