Thermostat Question

Posted on
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:54 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Thermostat Question

Oh, had I known so many things before I got my Nest I would have dumped states for every possible thermostat change on my old Venstar... The Nest plugin (which I'm forking to tweak because of this kind of issue) doesn't really update any of the standard HVAC states, such as when the fan is running or if the heat is on versus if cooling is on except through proprietary states (something I intend to remedy with my fork).

So my question is this: if the furnace comes on do normal stock thermostats update the fanIsOn attribute to true and then toggle to false when it shuts off? I would assume so but I'm writing something that depends on knowing when the fan is running and have no way to currently test it other than the play devices - which don't work anyway because apparently the sample Insteon devices don't honor the "- sample device -" method like X10's do and there is no X10 thermostat (at least not in my database they don't).

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Thermostat Question

Sending you a PM now.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:19 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it. Now I wonder when "fanIsOn" is actually ever triggered...

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:24 pm
DaveL17 offline

Could it be when the call is made to switch the fan from Auto to On? I'm not in a position to check right now, but if you need me to do a few tests, let me know.

For my control pages, I *think* I use dev.states['heatIsOn']

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:38 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

DaveL17 wrote:
For my control pages, I *think* I use dev.states['heatIsOn']

I've been using that as well for other devices like Nest that don't really update all of the various built-in thermostat states. Thanks!

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:24 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Z-Wave thermostats set fanIsOn correctly. I just tested with mine and fanIsOn was True when I set the fan mode to always on, and it also was true when I set the cool setpoint down enough to cause the A/C to turn on. Here's some event log lines to illustrate (lines with *************** are the relevant ones that seem to correspond to fanIsOn changing):

Code: Select all
Feb 28, 2018, 4:16:50 PM
   Z-Wave                          sent "Media Thermostat" fan mode change to always on
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" fan mode is always on
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" fan is on***************

Feb 28, 2018, 4:17:10 PM
   Z-Wave                          sent "Media Thermostat" fan mode change to auto
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" fan mode is auto
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" fan is off***************
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" is idle

Feb 28, 2018, 4:17:49 PM
   Action Group                    set media thermostat cool setpoint to 72
   Z-Wave                          sent "Media Thermostat" change cool setpoint to 72.0°
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" cool setpoint is 72 °F
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" fan is on***************
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" is cooling

Feb 28, 2018, 4:19:14 PM
   Action Group                    set media thermostat cool setpoint to 72
   Z-Wave                          sent "Media Thermostat" change cool setpoint to 80.0°
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" cool setpoint is 80 °F
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" fan mode is auto
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" fan is off***************
   Z-Wave                          received "Media Thermostat" is pending cool

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:26 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Thank you Jay! So that confirms what I assumed would be true: any time the fan runs the fanIsOn should be set to True, be it cooling, heating or just setting the fan to always on. It seems that many thermostat devices don't do that. I'm going to work on my Nest fork just as soon as HomeKit Bridge is in public beta but I have a good workaround for now. Awesome info and thank you for taking the time to do those tests :wink: .

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't have an Insteon thermostat, but from the code it appears that at least some Insteon thermostats do broadcast out fan state, so for those the property should also update correctly.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I just tested my Honeywell WiFi and it doesn't update it. Their app (and website) does show that the fan is on, so I don't know if it's missing from their API or if the plugin just isn't updating it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 am
jstackmk offline

I just installed a Honeywell D6 PRO Wi-Fi DUCTLESS CONTROLLER (thermostat) . It is controlled by the Honeywell Home app. I was searching to see if there was a Plugin I could use to integrate into my Indigo setup.
Jay, I saw your post regarding your Honeywell Wifi. I wondered if you were referring to a Honeywell wifi thermostat and if you were using a plugin to integrate it??
Thanks much,
Jim

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, the Honeywell WiFi Thermostat and the Honeywell Plugin (not in the Plugin Store yet).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:04 am
jstackmk offline

Thanks Jay. Funny I am already conditioned to search in the Plugin Store and not the Plugin Forum.
Unfortunately it appears my D6 PRO Wi-Fi DUCTLESS CONTROLLER is not covered. No big deal.

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jstackmk wrote:
Funny I am already conditioned to search in the Plugin Store and not the Plugin Forum.

We do have some unfortunate laggers... LOL

I'm actually going to replace mine. Not sure what with yet, but it won't require a cloud connection (likely a Z-Wave - I have a Trane upstairs that's rock solid). I'm done with devices that don't have local API access (particularly for critical home functions). And I won't be sad to see the Honeywell go - it won't stay on the WiFi network (badly enough that I actually have to power cycle it about once a month to get it back online), Honeywell also can't seem to keep their cloud service up.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1