Any experience with RainMachine integration?

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:27 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Any experience with RainMachine integration?

I am looking to get my rainmachine in a few months, and given how hyper localised the rain has been recently, the nearest wunderground weather station 2 miles from me has regularly had storms and 5mm of rain to my none, I am looking at getting a weather station.

What are my best options now that wunderground doesnt let you have access to your own data? As RainMachine uses the no longer supposed free API keys, I guess that is no longer an option. It supports Netatmo directly, so is that my obvious option, as I was looking at other stations that I could use with WeatherSnoop and have local data to analyse as well as on Netatmo's cloud.

The RainMachine has a sensor input for a rain and freeze sensor -- I am not sure of the brands or type you need, but might be the easiest and cheapest route.

So far my RainMachine hasn't run (or needed to) automatically once since I installed it -- part of its algorithm is based on the forecast precipitation and we have that every single day of the summer for the most part. Like you, our rainfall varies greatly within a short distance (my family lives about 3 miles and can easily get an inch / 2.5cm more than us at times). SO, I plan on just seeing how it goes and only adding a sensor if it becomes necessary. I think getting an Indigo Plugin to handle the few random "should run manually" plus monitoring should be fine.

Of course, I could have someone else nearer that has a PWS, not positive on that.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 am
berkinet offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
[...SO, I plan on just seeing how it goes and only adding a sensor if it becomes necessary....

Note you can use multiple weather data sources and weight them. Between that, and adding a local rain sensor things should be ok. Note that while rainfall may vary over short distances, other factors like cloud cover, temperature and humidity may not. So, in spite of the difference in rainfall, the ETo calculation is likely to still be useful.

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:20 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Note you can use multiple weather data sources and weight them. Between that, and adding a local rain sensor things should be ok. Note that while rainfall may vary over short distances, other factors like cloud cover, temperature and humidity may not. So, in spite of the difference in rainfall, the ETo calculation is likely to still be useful.

Good point -- though our typical (summer) day is bright, sunny, and hot until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then cloudy for a bit while the afternoon rains run in... BUT, I am trying to take your original suggestion to me and just run with it a while before doing any changes or decisions in regards to additions or controls or whatever. The rain sensor possibility is just a thought and possibility depending upon how it goes.

This is probably not the ideal time to test a smart sprinkler controller for me because of our daily rains -- I'm most interested in evaluating the times of transition between seasons when we seem to have more frequent periods of hot with no rain. Not typically drought conditions, though we get those at times -- but presumably nearly any smart sprinkler will pick up on a drought type condition.

Good to have the info and experience of those having used equipment before - so thanks for that!

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 pm
siclark offline

So it sounds like you are saying don't but new toys?? I thought you guys at least would encourage that
But yes it's probably something I should only decide once I've used it a bit. For now I know I over water but as 2 days ago was first rain for 2 over 2 months that hasn't been a problem!!
(And yes I live in the UK!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:44 pm
berkinet offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
...about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and then cloudy for a bit while the afternoon rains run in......

I think I'd much rather have your great cuisine than your average 80% humidity :wink:

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 pm
berkinet offline

siclark wrote:
So it sounds like you are saying don't but new toys?? I thought you guys at least would encourage that
But yes it's probably something I should only decide once I've used it a bit. For now I know I over water but as 2 days ago was first rain for 2 over 2 months that hasn't been a problem!!
(And yes I live in the UK!)...

Buy, Buy. I am very happy with mine. The issue really is this: If an automatic irrigation controller, particularly one that calculates ETo, really does the job you just set it and forget it. OTOH, if you like constantly twiddling and adjusting things you can probably find less expensive options. Though, as has been well discussed in this thread, you may soon have both options with the RainMachine.

Now, I am not saying the RainMachine is perfect or perfect for everybody and every situation. But, in my experience, France cote d'azur, I have gone a year without touching it and everything in my 16 zones is green and healthy and my water bill within reason.

BTW, hang on about your weather, the latest rumor is that storms that arrive in the UK from Europe may soon be delayed at the border :roll:
Last edited by berkinet on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I think I'd much rather have your great cuisine than your average 80% humidity :wink:

You and me both... from the US Dept of Energy website:
Louisiana had the highest annual electricity consumption at 14,881 kWh per residential customer and Hawaii had the lowest at 6,061 kWh per residential customer.

And I can assure you 75% of that energy is A/C units running not just for heat but to drop the humidity. My primary a/c unit is a dual-stage with a dual-compressor so that it can run the smaller compressor to drop humidity when cooling isn't all that required. That literally runs 75+% of the day to maintain a comfortable indoor humidity level (Set point around 45 or 50%, forget what is set). BUT, we don't have to deal with the cities running out of water like CA, so... trade offs.

I never suggest not buying new toys - just buy for the right reason! :)

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:32 pm
siclark offline

Buy, Buy. I am very happy with mine. The issue really is this: If an automatic irrigation controller, particularly one that calculates ETo, really does the job you just set it and forget it. OTOH, if you like constantly twiddling and adjusting things you can probably find less expensive options. Though, as has been well discussed in this thread, you may soon have both options with the RainMachine.

[/quote]

Haha. I'm set on buying the rain machine, just not sure about a weather station. I want a smart automated home not one that needs constant fiddling so want a set and forget system. The weather station was to remove any need to fiddle like I have to now.
Sounds like this should do the job.

Haha yes we got a LOT of rain today. Problem is my irrigation still came on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:30 am
siclark offline

lanbrown wrote:

I just noticed that the Pro model is on their site currently selling for $169 until October 31st.

https://www.rainmachine.com/products/rainmachine-pro.html

Back looking at irrigation as we finalise plans for major landscaping in the spring, and also saw this, although sold out of the EU plugs. Could I run this on POE using a splitter and so order the US version? Save myself 50 bucks and get future proofing with the extra zones to the 8 (which doesnt have a ethernet socket either)?

Posted on
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:36 am
siclark offline

I just remembered this thing called google, and decided to look myself. So yes, it can run on POE with a splitter, but that needs to be a 24VAC splitter, that dont appear to be cheap. Prob cheaper to buy my own 24VAC mains adapter with a UK plug. I think I am going to just mount the Rainmachine indoors and run the sprinkler control wires inside, rather than running Cat6 to outside.

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 12:15 pm
Korey offline

Still hoping for an Indigo Plugin for this some day!

:D

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2019 1:05 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Still hoping for an Indigo Plugin for this some day!

I still want to do one... but I need both the time AND the sprinklers to run. They literally have not run except one time since I purchased this... so couldn't truly develop and test it even if I were ready to do so! At some point we should get a mini drought... lol.

Posted on
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:59 am
siclark offline

Starting to plan for the summer and looking at the rain machine again. Did anyone get anywhere with a plugin for this?

Posted on
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:37 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Starting to plan for the summer and looking at the rain machine again. Did anyone get anywhere with a plugin for this?

I still would do one, but the sprinklers have quite literally only run once since I purchased it nearly two years ago now, I guess. Therefore, I can't see the data coming in and am kind of coding blind. I could maybe take a stab at it for this Spring season but would require some people to be basically alpha testers expecting it not to work at first.

Adam

Posted on
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:10 pm
Korey offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I still would do one, but the sprinklers have quite literally only run once since I purchased it nearly two years ago now, I guess. Therefore, I can't see the data coming in and am kind of coding blind. I could maybe take a stab at it for this Spring season but would require some people to be basically alpha testers expecting it not to work at first.

Adam

Count me in! :D :D

All I really need is the ability for Indigo to turn zones on or off and pause programs, Having the ability to know what zone is running would be a bonus!

--
Korey