Will WeatherSnoop Continue to Use Weather Underground?

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Will WeatherSnoop Continue to Use Weather Underground?

After the sad news in this thread about WeatherUnderground monetizing their API I wanted to ask if WeatherSnoop would continue to communicate with Weather Underground stations. I'm assuming that since WS is a paid program and there is revenue that paying the API fees is not as burdensome as it is for a free developer but wanted to double check.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:02 pm
Korey offline

Re: Will WeatherSnoop Continue to Use Weather Underground?

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
After the sad news in this thread about WeatherUnderground monetizing their API I wanted to ask if WeatherSnoop would continue to communicate with Weather Underground stations. I'm assuming that since WS is a paid program and there is revenue that paying the API fees is not as burdensome as it is for a free developer but wanted to double check.

No reply from the weatherSnoop team then? :?:

--
Korey

Posted on
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

No, not yet. I'm hoping that since WS is a paid software that it's financially viable for them to continue to feed WU data.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:11 am
boisy offline

Hi,

I'm just seeing this. Sorry for the late reply.

I read the announcement that was referenced in the link, and it's the first I've heard of it. I cannot speak for other products, but the API key that WeatherSnoop uses to upload data is still functioning. Downloading from a station to WeatherSnoop using the built-in Weather Underground plug-in is still functioning as well.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:13 pm
boisy offline

We have had a long relationship with Weather Underground, but we weren't made aware of this particular change on their part, so this probably affects individual weather stations and not providers like us.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:42 pm
DaveL17 offline

For the present time, they're honoring free API keys but not issuing new ones. They're accepting PWS uploads and (as far as I know) downloads, but they've stated that they will probably limit PWS downloads at some point to CSV data only (not API) but I don't believe that's happened yet. There was scant information available without talking with a sales rep, but the word on the street is that the minimum plan is going to be about $850 per month.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:48 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Matters not to me any longer, just as long my my good old Weathersnoop stays alive and I have Dark Sky via Fantastic to fill my needs.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2019 1:10 pm
swisskent offline

Unless I am missing something, it appears that Tee-Boy has removed Wunderground as a weather source from their recently released version 3.2.5.

I installed a trial version of WeatherSnoop 4, and although it has Underground as a weather source, testing of this with several different stations has produced nothing but errors. The log is reporting, for example, "May 11 12:50:11 com.tee-boy.WeatherSnoop4[40340] <Info>: HTTP connection failed! Error - Request failed: unauthorized (401) (null) #Weather Underground Agent".

UPDATE: The recent minor update of WeatherSnoop 4.1.9 also removed Wunderground as a weather source. Why did this happen?!

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated. My home's Indigo uses weather data for all sorts of things (e.g. controlling thermostat set points, sprinklers, etc.). I really do not want to purchase expensive weather station hardware, and then pay $69 for WeatherSnoop 4 that may or may not work in future releases! :( :o :shock:

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2019 1:18 pm
boisy offline

Read this post for the reason behind removing this feature: http://forums.weathersnoop.com/viewtopi ... =18&t=1118

In short, the Weather Underground download service is no longer free. It doesn't work unless you want to pay $150/month for the service. IBM's acquisition of the Weather Channel and subsequent pivot is to blame here.

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2019 1:22 pm
swisskent offline

I see. Thank you for the explanation. I suppose I will have to use NOAA weather data, which is not as complete as Wunderground.

Posted on
Sat May 11, 2019 5:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can also try the Fantastic Weather plugin which gets data from Dark Sky.

We totally saw this coming when IBM acquired all this stuff (in fact the standalone plugin WUnderground was discontinued because of it). A real shame.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu May 16, 2019 7:40 pm
swisskent offline

I am trialing Fantastic Weather... like it so far. The only thing missing is today's precipitation and two-day precipitation (e.g. 20 mm). This is important for my sprinklers to run more efficiently. Do you know of a good source?

Page 1 of 1