New piBeacon hardware platform

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:21 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: New piBeacon hardware platform

jay (support) wrote:
kw123 wrote:
For indigo you would need to add a real disk and use the ssd as read only boot device.

Not really. A largish SSD card would work fine for the majority of users.

If you use the SQLogger you'd need a big one, store the data somewhere else, etc.

And "largish" keeps getting larger... I just picked up a 128 gig Lexar for $60 at office depot yesterday. Not sure how many hours of mp4s it will hold out of my brother's plex library, but I'm working on finding out.

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:17 am
kw123 offline

Having >> 10 rpi running for over a year I can state: The week point of the rpi is the ssd. For heavy data usage i would really suggest to use an external HD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:52 am
roussell offline

kw123 wrote:
Having >> 10 rpi running for over a year I can state: The week point of the rpi is the ssd. For heavy data usage i would really suggest to use an external HD

I agree completely. I've had a few running for several years now at home and a few at work displaying Splunk dashboards and if you regularly write files to the memory card, you WILL destroy it. Wear leveling technology and a much larger than needed SD memory size helps, but it only prolongs the inevitable. For the SD card containing the OS, I now always mount read-only and then either use an expendable USB thumb drive to store logs/data or if it's really important, use an external USB hard drive.

Terry

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

johnpolasek wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
Not really. A largish SSD card would work fine for the majority of users.

And "largish" keeps getting larger... I just picked up a 128 gig Lexar for $60 at office depot yesterday. Not sure how many hours of mp4s it will hold out of my brother's plex library, but I'm working on finding out.

I was speaking only for Indigo Server usage. Without running SQLogger (or trimming regularly), Indigo has relatively modest storage needs.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:40 pm
kw123 offline

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-raspberry-pi-3-boot-usb/

the RPI3 can now be configured to boot directly from a USB attached drive without any SSD

that might fix the issues.

Karl

Posted on
Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm
kw123 offline

on the pi zero W. The old image does NOT work on the new zeroW : no wifi

I am in the process of building an SSD image you can download.. So before you go out and pay $30 for the new thing.. give it some days

Karl

Posted on
Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 pm
kw123 offline

pi zero w seems to work with new raspberry image.... . just need to shrink it to 8GB and test it a bit more

Karl

Posted on
Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm
kw123 offline

report on the pi zero W

what works:
sensors
output
iBeacons

what does not work
BLEconnect
That kills the board.
IMPACT : Wifi goes down. It seems that very heavy usage of the bluetooth chips also impacts the Wifi part. As soon as BLE connect goes on you see a degradation of wifi throughout. Ping goes from 5 msec to 50 .. 500 msec. If you enable 2 + BLEconnect devices it dies = looses network connection ..

So I guess for regular usage it should work. It is indeed a very small compact box ... and $10 is pretty good .. if you can get it for the price.

I will post a new image that you will need to download for the new board... that one will also work for the old ones.

Karl

Posted on
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 am
mundmc offline

Hi Karl,
How did things with the rasbpi Zero work out?

Posted on
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:58 am
kw123 offline

I have it in use for rpi sensors .. did not play with it any further, just have one

Posted on
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 am
mundmc offline

kw123 wrote:
I have it in use for rpi sensors .. did not play with it any further, just have one

Gotcha- thanks!

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 am
jalves offline

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm considering going down this route in my home which will require acquisition of several new pi boards. I've been playing around with a couple of Pi s for fun at home and in the shack. Still finding my way around setting them up (headless) but getting to the point where I've been thinking of uses for this little device.

My question is, should I buy the latest Pi (3b+) or would a Pi Zero W work well enough for Pi Beacon? I'm thinking I would need ~ 5-10 devices to cover the house.

ETA: It really doesn't matter to me in terms of pricing, size of SD card, or physical size. I'm willing to go for whatever works best. One Pi would be in a garage that here in FL gets pretty warm inside. Otherwise others will be in a AC environment. First test application will probably be in the garage to check on the status of our two cars being present or away.

ETA 2: The devices don't need to do anything else except being the sensor/receiver. The will need to connect over WiFi and be administered remotely, preferably by VNC but SSH would work.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:45 am
kw123 offline

Don’t use the rpi3. It has some BLE/WiFi issues

The rpi3plus is very good. I suggest using that one.

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:56 am
jalves offline

Thanks Karl. Have a couple on hand. I take it the Zero W isn't up to the task?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:05 pm
kw123 offline

Getting old. Don’t remember if there were issues. Too many combinations.
I have the w only as a temp sensor
Have cables to all rooms.

Planning to May be use it for pool
Controller. Put it directly into the heater for on/off w relay and set temp to max and use the rpi w to on/off the fireman’s switch. That’s how it is actually integrated to full vendor supported systems.