ISY994 -> Indigo: Any advise?

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:38 pm
Venicenerd offline

ISY994 -> Indigo: Any advise?

Hi,

I'm finally making the plunge and will give Indigo a try to replace my ISY994 that currently controls all my Insteon devices. I'm wondering if there is any way to import all of the scenes and programs that I have created on the ISY so I don't have to re-create all of the work on Indigo?

At the very least would it be possible to somehow import all my current Insteon devices and keypads and all of the local links they have among each other? Or do I really have so start from scratch? I have about 10 Keypads throughout home home that are connected to 40 or so Insteon devices.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Philipp

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: ISY994 -> Indigo: Any advise?

Unfortunately there really isn't any import (there are a lot of issues if you try to do that). I would recommend that you take a stepwise approach to converting. You can use the ISY Bridge plugin which supports Dimmers, On/Off (relay) devices, Sprinklers, Thermostats, and the I/O Linc device types.

I would therefore first convert the devices that the plugin doesn't support to get those over. Then you can convert devices in logical groups until you've got everything moved over. The process for converting a device is roughly:

1. Remove from the ISY
  2. Factory reset it (to remove any links back to the ISY's PowerLinc)
  3. Add to Indigo
  4. Configure links as necessary

For the last step you can decide if you want to convert any Insteon links from the ISY to Insteon links with Indigo or use Indigo Triggers/Schedules, etc. Sometimes it's advantageous to implement logic in Indigo Triggers and/or Schedules. The ISY can sometimes force you to use Insteon links when other approaches might be better. You'll just have to decide where that's appropriate (often times it's when you want to include non-Insteon devices in a scene/action of some kind or add in conditional logic that's not possible on the ISY).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:36 pm
Venicenerd offline

Thanks Jay! I’m going to follow your advise and move the Insteon devices one room at a time. Will start with the Guest House to see how it goes.

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:49 pm
Venicenerd offline

jay (support) wrote:
Factory reset it (to remove any links back to the ISY's PowerLinc)

Do you know of any way to factory reset the Micro Open Close Module without having physical access to the device? These are used for my external shutters and they are behind the hardware. It's going to be a huge hassle to access them. Any way to get these over to Indigo without having to get physical access?

Thanks,

Philipp

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:15 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No way to do a full factory reset remotely AFAIK. However, you can manually delete links which are normally hidden or locked (because you usually don't want to mess with those) by holding down the option key when clicking the Manage Links... button in the device edit dialog (after you add it to Indigo).

You'll probably see links labelled "unknown device" and "unknown back link". If you delete those and only leave those that are labeled PowerLinc Interface (which you can't delete anyway) then that should take care of those links similar to what a factory reset does. It's not necessarily as fool-proof as a factory reset does other things as well (which can't be done remotely) but it'll probably solve any linking issues and performance issues related to bad links.

You should do that just after you add it to Indigo and before you do anything else to avoid any accidental link breaks.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:45 pm
Venicenerd offline

Incredible. That's what I shall try. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 1