DoorBird Review

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:29 pm
agame offline

Re: DoorBird Review

praise the lord, I just saw a UDP motion event from my second DoorBird (a D101). Its firmware has serendipitously updated itself to 000112. So I now have two intercoms fully operational with the plugin, albeit with some odd messages with debug messages switched on.

Curiously, unlike the D2101, where the firmware change seemed to coincide with termination of non-digest auth for the [legacy] http notification model, I'm still seeing those calls coming through on the httpd plugin. So the upgrade won't break everyone's older integrations....

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
berkinet wrote:
I have a suggestion: In the Device configuration dialog allow the user to select from a set of states to be reported, probably by check boxes. Then, those who want separate devices can have their needs met, and so can users like myself who only want one device.

I can add this functionality without too much effort. How would you like the bell/motion event custom states to read? Would a simple "last motion detected" & "last bell press" detected suffice? This would display a time/date value showing the last time the bell/motion were detected. This way you can create a trigger based on any change to this field?
I was thinking something like...
    Select the activity to report in the Device table state column::
    O System Status
    O Motion events
    O Doorbell keypress

Then based on the selection above, two of the following three options would appear (I.e. the option matching the choice above would be hidden...
    Select additional information to display in custom states
    [ ] System Status
    [ ] Motion events
    [ ] Doorbell keypress

Then the states associated with the current 3 device types (plus one additional state equivalent to the current onOffState) would be included for the options selected plus one additional state equivalent to the current onOffState. I.e.
For System Status
    build_number
    firmware
    mac_address
    model
    deviceLastChange
    deviceOnOffState
For Motion Events
    motionOnOffState
    motionLastChange
For Doorbell keypress Events
    doorbellOnOffState
    doorbellLastChange

In this manner, the user could build three separate devices, each essentially identical to what you have today. Or, they could build a device combining the capabilities of two or three of the current devices. Note, for the "main" function (to be displayed in the Device State column) the onOff and lastChange states would be essentially duplicated. While not necessary, this would allow for consistency in all devices.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:29 am
kwijibo007 offline

I've been highjacking this general DoorBird discussion with the plugin so I've asked for a dedicated sub-forum here: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=287

agame wrote:
praise the lord, I just saw a UDP motion event from my second DoorBird (a D101). Its firmware has serendipitously updated itself to 000112. So I now have two intercoms fully operational with the plugin, albeit with some odd messages with debug messages switched on..

Ha! The Doorbird gods must be listening to our prayers! Good to hear.

Thanks for you help, I've created a couple of topics to handle these issues:

here: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?p=164570#p164570

and here: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?p=164573#p164573

berkinet wrote:
I was thinking something like...

Great suggestions - I've created a topic to discuss here: https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?p=164572#p164572

Pete

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 am
neilk offline

I had no luck with the Android client either forcing the upgrade (so maybe it was an earlier client version), but just as I was drafting a note to DoorBird support to request it,112 appeared. I will now try the new plugin tonight.
Thanks for your work on this, I look forward to retiring my clunky version.

Neil

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:49 am
berkinet offline

neilk wrote:
... just as I was drafting a note to DoorBird support to request it,112 appeared. ...

No joy here yet on the upgrade. Maybe that's what I get for asking.

But, seriously, I have found their customer service people to be a bit, well, teutonic. When I received my DoorBird (2+ years ago) I wrote to them asking for an option to allow the client device (smartphone, etc) to be able to sleep while the app is open. (At least on iOS if the app is open, the display will never sleep). Their response was that such a feature was not needed (not as in, there are ways to do what you want. But, as in, why would anyone want to do that?).

Then, recently, I enquired as to whether there would be an upgrade program for 1st gen device owners to upgrade to the newer products like the D2101KV. Seems to me a small discount (especially to to cloud recording pro customer) would be a friendly touch. But, their response was We do not offer an upgrade program at this time we are sorry to say. They can't be that sorry, or they'd do something.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:41 am
jens offline

Hello,

Would you like to be able to control an action group or device when pressing open doorlock in the DoorBird app? thought to control my Yale Doorman lock

Regards
Jens

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:45 am
berkinet offline

jens wrote:
...Would you like to be able to control an action group or device when pressing open doorlock in the DoorBird app? thought to control my Yale Doorman lock

I am not sure if that was a question you have or are asking for yourself. But, if you are asking for yourself, the DoorBird can probably do what you want directly. You can wire the lock straight to the DoorBird and then touch the open icon in the DoorBird app. If you want the door to open automatically, with no human intervention, I think you would need Indigo to receive the doorbell event and then control the lock.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:46 am
berkinet offline

berkinet wrote:
jens wrote:
...Would you like to be able to control an action group or device when pressing open doorlock in the DoorBird app? thought to control my Yale Doorman lock

I am not sure if that was a question you are asking the group or if are asking for yourself. But, if you are asking for yourself, the DoorBird can probably do what you want directly. You can wire the lock straight to the DoorBird and then touch the open icon in the DoorBird app. If you want the door to open automatically, with no human intervention, I think you would need Indigo to receive the doorbell event and then control the lock.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am
jens offline

Thinking like this, dount work for me any more :(

Posted on
Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 am
berkinet offline
kidney wrote:
ok because, I'm always getting this error message "Basic Authentication Required" when I try the first instruction and the log show this also
Code: Select all
HTTPd Debug AuthHandler: GET from 10.0.1.6:56758 for /setvar?doorbird=pressed
HTTPd Debug AuthHandler: Request has no Authorization header

Check the URL you entered in the doorbird HTTP Calls config. It should be just the address of your Indigo server and a path. Eg.
http://192.168.1.2:18009/motionsensor

I made a couple of minor edits to the script posted by NeilK. You might give this version a try if you are still having problems after verifying the doorbird config.
# by Karl Wachs
# July 16
# modified for DoorBird by NeilK
# Minor changes and edits by Berkinet
##

import os
import indigo # just to supress lint errors
from BaseHTTPServer import BaseHTTPRequestHandler, HTTPServer

PORT = 18009 # port number to be used by DoorBird on IndigoServer to GET url's defined in the API
actionMotion = xxxxx # ID of Action Group to run when DoorBird motion sensor is triggered
actionOpen = xxxxx # ID of Action Group to run when the open button in the app is pressed
actionBell = xxxxx # ID of Action Group to run on the Doorbell rings.

# See DoorBird API at www.doorbird.com/api to set the URL to get based on the action for /motion.html , /doorbell.html , /button.html
# For example: http://192.168.1.10/bha-api/notificatio ... ubscribe=1

class S(BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
def _set_headers(self):
self.send_response(200)
self.send_header('Content-type', 'text/html')
self.end_headers()

def do_GET(self):
self._set_headers()
self.wfile.write("<html><body><h1>Indigo DoorBird Forwarding</h1>"+str(self.path)+"</body>")

if self.path == "/motionsensor":
indigo.server.log("DoorBird sent motion command", type="DoorBird")
indigo.actionGroup.execute(actionMotion)

if self.path == "/dooropen":
indigo.server.log("DoorBird sent Button command", type="DoorBird")
indigo.actionGroup.execute(actionOpen)

if self.path == "/doorbell":
indigo.server.log("DoorBird sent doorbell command", type="DoorBird")
indigo.actionGroup.execute(actionBell)

def do_HEAD(self):
self._set_headers()

def do_POST(self):
# Doesn't do anything with posted data
self._set_headers()
self.wfile.write("<html><body><h1>POST!</h1></body></html>")

def run(server_class=HTTPServer, handler_class=S, port=PORT):
server_address = ('', port)
httpd = server_class(server_address, handler_class)
indigo.server.log("Starting DoorBird httpd..."+"Port...."+str(PORT), type="DoorBird")
httpd.serve_forever()

if __name__ == "__main__":
myPID = str(os.getpid())
indigo.server.log("PID of DoorBird server is:" + myPID, type="DoorBird")
run()

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:21 am
berkinet offline

jens wrote:
Thinking like this, dount work for me any more :( ...

Ahh yes. Some users have reported here that, with the newer devices when they upgraded to firmware 000112 they lost support for the old API and the ability to use that simple server software I had posted. If that is your case, installing the new plugin and setting up a doorbell device should solve your problem

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 am
jens offline

Cant get it to work again, :( and nothing in the logg,

//Jens

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am
jens offline

How do I do to configure it?

You did a smal app to me called JensDoorBird . :)

//Jens

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:45 am
berkinet offline

jens wrote:
How do I do to configure it?...

Using the Doorbird plugin, you must first create a DoorBird Doorbell device. Then create a trigger that executes whenever the doorbell device onOffState becomes On. In that trigger, you can execute your Action to open the door, or whatever.

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:22 am
neilk offline

berkinet wrote:
jens wrote:
How do I do to configure it?...

Using the Doorbird plugin, you must first create a DoorBird Doorbell device. Then create a trigger that executes whenever the doorbell device onOffState becomes On. In that trigger, you can execute your Action to open the door, or whatever.

It seems to be inconsistent if the DoorBird respects the old API or not with the new version, agame has two DoorBirds and one works and the other doesn't. I will confirm tonight but the new plugin should work and be much more straightforward than the old approach I think you used (you may be still using the clunky hard coded plugin I did for you). Here are the steps you will need to do.

1) Install the plugin as normal
2) Configure the plugin (you shouldn't need to change any of the settings here, potentially the logging levels if you have any issues and want to troubleshoot)
3) Create a new DoorBird device (the "On" state of this device will tell you if your DoorBird is actually operating). In this device Choose the device type "DoorBird" and the Model as "DoorBird" - in my case it named it "DoorBird Main". If you then edit the device settings, adding the DoorBird IP address and the "User" Username and password for your doorbird.
4) Create another new DoorBird device, this time with the model "DoorBell", I named it "DoorBird Door Bell". In the device settings this time you should see a pull down menu, and you can select the DoorBird device you created in the previous step. (in my case "DoorBird Main").
5) Create the third device if you want to use the motion sensor, in this case repeating step 4, but using the device type Motion sensor.

Once you have done this, the main device should show as "On", showing that the plugin is successfully communicating with the DoorBird. The motion sensors and doorbell device will both show as off, and the icon for the motion sensor will change to the correct motion one, the first time motion is detected.

Finally create a trigger to call you existing doorbell and motion (if you use it) action groups that were called from the old script, based on the device changes of the doorbell or motion devices and you should be good to go. You can then delete the old scripts/bespoke plugin.

Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:24 am
neilk offline

jens wrote:
How do I do to configure it?

You did a smal app to me called JensDoorBird . :)

//Jens

Jens - that was me, once you complete the steps in my other post, you can delete the "Jens DoorBird" plugin. My one and only plugin attempt and completely hard coded for you :D