DoorBird Review

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:03 am
berkinet offline

Re: DoorBird Review

kwijibo007 wrote:
...berkinet is also running 000111 and has no motion events trigged. I suspect a different event code is sent with this firmware. These event codes aren't documented, I just read what my unit was sending. Turning debugging on, please paste the output from a log showing "Unknown event". This will tell me the event code which I can then incorporate.
debugging under 0.1.0 showed nothing. I will try on 0.3.0

However, I am still running the DoorBird server and have legacy http calls for doorbell, dooropen and motionsensor. I do not know if that would keep the broadcasts from being sent... I would think not.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:11 am
kwijibo007 offline

Ok, I think I can see what's happening. Take a look here: https://www.doorbird.com/changelog

The change log for 000112 mentions "broadcast for motion events". I think this means that 000112 added support for UDP motion events. It looks like 000111 simply doesn't send it.

I wonder if there's a way to force the firmware update?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:41 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
...I wonder if there's a way to force the firmware update?

I think not...
On 20-July berkinet emailed DoorBird support and wrote:
My DoorBird is still on firmware release 000111. I have tried restarting it, but it
does not update. Is 000112 still being rolled out? And, when might I expect the
update?

and later that day DoorBird support responded and wrote:
DoorBird devices are updated automatically. We will begin rolling out firmware 000112 in the next 1-2 weeks.

The response was a little odd since some people already had 000112. But, it has also only been 10 days since their email, So, I will wait a little before bugging them again.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:54 am
tazswe offline

I have one Doorbird with 000111 and one with 000112, both installed a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately I not at home and can’t make any tests of the plugin.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:17 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
berkinet wrote:
...maybe you could simplify the plugin and have only one device, the DoorBird, with states to track doorbell press and motion events.

... I like the seperate devices personally, but am open to changing it if there is consensus?

My reasons for preferring a single device with multiple states was mostly for simplicity and keeping my device count down. It also has the advantage that any code written for one state can be easily reused for another.

However, in view of some users preference for multiple devices, I have a suggestion: In the Device configuration dialog allow the user to select from a set of states to be reported, probably by check boxes. Then, those who want separate devices can have their needs met, and so can users like myself who only want one device.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 am
agame offline

did the upgrade and now getting these log records on button press

DoorBird Debug DoorBird Front: Unknown packet identifier (11189196)
DoorBird Debug doorbird.doorbell_event() called

from you comment, I assume the 4th matched and triggered the event?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:42 am
berkinet offline

lanbrown wrote:
... You can tell it to check for an update. When I did that to mine, a few hours later it was on the new version. I know they are rolling it out slow though. Where I found where you can update it, I do not recall though. I clicked on something though.

Well, if there is such a function, I can't find it on the iOS app. If I tap on the device entry at the bottom of the resulting page I see the Firmware version. If I open the device as an admin, I don't see anything about versions at all. Well, other than that there is an option on the Settings page to reset to factory defaults and I didn't try that.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 am
neilk offline

Just tried the same, all I can find online is the suggestion that you email support so they can force your update. @Ianbrown - you using the iOS client ?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:58 am
neilk offline

Thanks - I will try on one of the kids Android tablets tonight.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:36 pm
berkinet offline

I previously wrote:
... In the Device configuration dialog allow the user to select from a set of states to be reported, probably by check boxes. Then, those who want separate devices can have their needs met, and so can users like myself who only want one device.

You can also let the user select from a menu which state should be displayed in the Device table state column. So, the appearance would be identical what you have now.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:51 pm
kwijibo007 offline

berkinet wrote:
I have a suggestion: In the Device configuration dialog allow the user to select from a set of states to be reported, probably by check boxes. Then, those who want separate devices can have their needs met, and so can users like myself who only want one device.

I can add this functionality without too much effort. How would you like the bell/motion event custom states to read? Would a simple "last motion detected" & "last bell press" detected suffice? This would display a time/date value showing the last time the bell/motion were detected. This way you can create a trigger based on any change to this field?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:07 pm
kwijibo007 offline

agame wrote:
did the upgrade and now getting these log records on button press

DoorBird Debug doorbird.doorbell_event() called

from you comment, I assume the 4th matched and triggered the event?

Yeah, so it looks like it's working? Did you see the device state actually change in Indigo? 11189196 translates to 0xAA 0xBB 0xCC (AABBCC). The API makes no mention of this. I will add some debugging functionality to the plugin so you can provide me the full UDP packet before decrypting and the content after decrypting (if it can decrypt it). Just to confirm, this model is a D2101V, running firmware 000112? Strange as this is the exact model/firmware that I have.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm
agame offline

kwijibo007 wrote:

Yeah, so it looks like it's working? Did you see the device state actually change in Indigo? 11189196 translates to 0xAA 0xBB 0xCC (AABBCC). The API makes no mention of this. I will add some debugging functionality to the plugin so you can provide me the full UDP packet before decrypting and the content after decrypting (if it can decrypt it). Just to confirm, this model is a D2101V, running firmware 000112? Strange as this is the exact model/firmware that I have.

yes that's the device however both devices appear to be reporting identical information (though in a different order of events?) - and are both working fine (with the exception that motion isn't being reported [via the plugin] on the device with 000111 firmware). As you say this is actually a documented difference so no surprise on the latter issue.

I'm actually seeing 4 repeats of the unknown identifier message in the log. I've seen state changes on the motion device, I cant confirm yet with bell press.

from the 101 running 000111:

Code: Select all
   DoorBird Debug                  DoorBird Laneway: Unknown packet identifier (11189196)
   DoorBird Debug                  DoorBird Laneway: Unknown packet identifier (11189196)
   DoorBird Debug                  doorbird.doorbell_event() called
   DoorBird                                 DoorBird Laneway Bell: Doorbell pressed

and from the 2101 running 000112:

Code: Select all
DoorBird Debug                  doorbird.doorbell_event() called
   DoorBird                                  DoorBird Front Bell: Doorbell pressed
   DoorBird Debug                  DoorBird Front: Unknown packet identifier (11189196)
   DoorBird Debug                  DoorBird Front: Unknown packet identifier (11189196)

presumably with debug logging turned off none of this would be visible anyhow...so no apparent issue for me...but if you want me to debug further happy to assist.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:19 pm
agame offline

...on another DoorBird-related thread, I also have their door chime.
I got it after frustration with reliability and lag issues with the SONOS plugin that I was using for notifications up to that point (though I'm now intrigued to see how targeting a HomePod would work).
It works perfectly and has a considerable array of canned sound effects.... with the exception that I cant find any support for playing a different chime from the two DoorBird devices (so cant audibly tell which intercom has been pressed).
A year or so ago when I enquired, I was advised there would be an API released for this ( presumably this would be another way to call a different chime) - can see no sign of this having been published however?

Anyone have any further insights on this device?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 pm
agame offline

lanbrown wrote:
Ok, for the IP Chime, you go to the user side of administration for the DoorBird in question, then to Peripherals (Settings), then you should see the IP Chime and can change the tone under ring settings. Under expert settings (below where Peripherals was shown, there is also a button sound setting as well.

indeed there is a sound configuration setting in the app, but this will actually set the chime soundbite for all doorbells. (there's a distinct sound that can be chosen for what they term a 'storey call' - doorbell button post-elevator, but that's no help). So I come back to my query ... anyone achieved a distinct sound for each of two DoorBirds.