DoorBird Review

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:47 am
kwijibo007 offline

Re: DoorBird Review

I've banged together an initial beta release of the plugin. Really interested in your feedback / bugs / etc. Particurarly anyone with multiple DoorBirds as I only have one.

https://github.com/kwijibo007/DoorBird

The plugin presents 3 devices, a Doorbird device, a motion sensor and a doorbell. Hopefully it's fairly explanatory. The Doorbird device reads UDP keep alive packets form the Doorbird and shows as "on" if it's recently received a packet and "off" after 30 seconds (configerable) of no activity. It also has actions to trigger the IR light and relays.

I'll add more features (scheduling, etc.) later. My DoorBird is still sitting on my desk. I need to mount it and fully understand all the functionality.

I'll put together some full documentation over the next few days.

Pete

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
I've banged together an initial beta release of the plugin. Really interested in your feedback / bugs / etc....
...The plugin presents 3 devices, a Doorbird device, a motion sensor and a doorbell. Hopefully it's fairly explanatory. ...

Thanks for the work on this. So, I have installed and done a quick test on my D201S, firmware 000111.
  • On first install of the DoorBird device I mistyped the IP address and Indigo went out for a long, lunch, dinner... I killed Indigo client, reconfigured the device and all is well. Needs some better error handing.
  • I created a motion device. No joy. No reports of motion, neither from the areas that are not masked, nor from the masked areas (as are reported under the old API).
  • Created a Doorbell device and a trigger on it's on/off state. That worked. Though, I did notice it triggered twice on a single button press event. Not a big deal, as I can debounce the input in Indigo. But, I wasn't sure if the API sent two events, or the plugin fired twice.
And, a comment: I saw that the DoorBird device actually logs Doorbell events, and I assume, motion events. But, there is no way to suppress this logging or trigger on the events. So, maybe you could simplify the plugin and have only one device, the DoorBird, with states to track doorbell press and motion events.

Anyway, nice start!

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:06 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Thanks for testing guys.

berkinet wrote:
On first install of the DoorBird device I mistyped the IP address and Indigo went out for a long, lunch, dinner... I killed Indigo client, reconfigured the device and all is well. Needs some better error handing.

Thanks, I'll take a look

berkinet wrote:
I created a motion device. No joy. No reports of motion, neither from the areas that are not masked, nor from the masked areas (as are reported under the old API).

Can you please enable debug looking in the plugin preferences? You should then see a debug message referencing an unknown event. Could you please paste the output? I have firmware 000112, I suspect there is a different event code being used.

berkinet wrote:
Created a Doorbell device and a trigger on it's on/off state. That worked. Though, I did notice it triggered twice on a single button press event. Not a big deal, as I can debounce the input in Indigo. But, I wasn't sure if the API sent two events, or the plugin fired twice.

Thanks, I'll take a look

berkinet wrote:
And, a comment: I saw that the DoorBird device actually logs Doorbell events, and I assume, motion events. But, there is no way to suppress this logging or trigger on the events. So, maybe you could simplify the plugin and have only one device, the DoorBird, with states to track doorbell press and motion events.

Good pickup, thanks. I've released version 0.2.0 which includes a fix to log the correct names. Could you please update? I like the seperate devices personally, but am open to changing it if there is consensus?

lanbrown wrote:
I'm getting this error message:
Code: Select all
DoorBird Error Error in plugin execution ExecuteAction:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugin.py", line 328, in actionControlGeneral
AttributeError: 'Plugin' object has no attribute 'burst'

Also if you stop or reload the plugin, Indigo has to force it to stop.

Thanks. Version 0.2.0 includes a fix to the "burst" error. Could you please update?

Pete

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:35 pm
kwijibo007 offline

lanbrown wrote:
I can see that Indigo connects to the DoorBird on TCP/80, a bit of data is exchanged and then the session is closed out.

It appears that it's connecting to your DoorBird, can you fire one of the actions (energize relay or IR Lights) and confirm if they work physically on the DoorBird? Also, are the custom states for the DoorBird device populated (FIRMWARE, BUILD, MAC, etc..)?

lanbrown wrote:
If I click on send status update, nothing goes out towards the DoorBird and the DoorBird, motion and bell all shows their state as off.

Yeah, Send Status Update doesn't do anything at the moment. I'll make it do something to avoid confusion.

lanbrown wrote:
My DoorBird does sit on a different network from Indigo. Besides that communication on TCP/80, there is no other traffic.

I think this is the main issue (assuming you have a recent firmware version). The DoorBird is sending UDP packet broadcasts on port 6524 and port 35344 to its local network. As your DoorBird is on another network segment you will need to do some fancy network config to re-broadcast the packets through to the network segment that Indigo is on. I'm no expert but I think this is something usually only possible with enterprise grade comms gear. Do you have the option of putting the DoorBird on your Indigo network?

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:46 pm
agame offline

I've just configured 2 DoorBirds with the plugin: a D101 and a D2101.

I've done it remotely so I cant test properly for a few hours when I'll be physically there - its pulling in the custom states correctly for both however so basic connectivity certainly works. One quirk though: one of the DoorBirds (the second to be created, the D101) shows the motion sensor device with the motion sensor icon. The other just shows the usual grey/green dot. But looking at their Device Details, both list the model as 'motion sensor'.

(I much prefer separate devices BTW).

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:19 pm
kwijibo007 offline

lanbrown wrote:
I'll just have to put a firewall in L-2 mode (transparent) firewall between Indigo and the cameras. Indigo has access from the Internet to hit it, so I want to separate the inbound DMZ from the cameras that won't have access from the Internet in.

Sir, you are far more knowledgeable then me in the dark arts of network wizardry! :D
So it sounds like your only outstanding issue is that the custom states (firmware, mac_address, etc..) are missing from the DoorBird device? Is that still the case? What model and firmware are you on?

agame wrote:
One quirk though: one of the DoorBirds (the second to be created, the D101) shows the motion sensor device with the motion sensor icon. The other just shows the usual grey/green dot. But looking at their Device Details, both list the model as 'motion sensor'.

Thanks for testing, I think you'll find that the first time it detects motion it will change to the correct icon (and stay that way). I tried to make it display correctly as soon as the device is added but couldn't make it work.

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 pm
kwijibo007 offline

lanbrown wrote:
It is running firmware 000112 and it is a D2101V. The custom states are missing but it doesn't hinder the use of the device.

Strange, this is the exact same model / firmware as my unit. The plugin updates this info everything the Doorbird device "turns on" or the plugin is restarted.

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:42 am
agame offline

I've tested one of my 2 DoorBirds (2101), running firmware 000112:
-motion sensing is working perfectly.
-as predicted, the icons are now motion sensor (and changing state)
-but bell press throws the following error:

Code: Select all
   DoorBird Error                  Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

File "plugin.py", line 114, in runConcurrentThread
  File "plugin.py", line 550, in udp_message
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, int found

DoorBird Error                  plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

edit:

tested the second, running firmware 000111 ... (I gather software updates for Doorbird are not ordinarily able to be end-user initiated?)
Doorbell press returns the same error as above.
I cant see any Doorbird plugin motion events in the log (I can, however, see http requests coming in from the previous implementation - I see these on the other device too where the plugin motion sensing is happily co-existing with the old method ).

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:48 am
kwijibo007 offline

agame wrote:
bell press throws the following error

The plugin error is a silly casting mistake I made in the code. I've updated the plugin .0.3.0 to fix it. What it tells me though is that your Doorbird is not sending the expected 3 byte identifier as documented in the API. The first 3 bytes of the UDP packet should be 0xDE 0xAD 0xBE (14593470) . Could you please update the plugin, enable debug logging in the plugin preferences and try again?

You should get a debug message reporting "Unknown packet identifier". Could you please paste this message?

The Doorbird sends multiple packets per event (4 for each user if both UDP ports are enabled in the plugin prefs). It may be that only one of these packets had/has a strange identifier. The doorbell may very well work (and display the debug message.)

Pete

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:00 am
kwijibo007 offline

agame wrote:
tested the second, running firmware 000111 ... (I gather software updates for Doorbird are not ordinarily able to be end-user initiated?)
Doorbell press returns the same error as above.
I cant see any Doorbird plugin motion events in the log (I can, however, see http requests coming in from the previous implementation - I see these on the other device too where the plugin motion sensing is happily co-existing with the old method ).

Yeah, the firmware update method is archaic at best. I can see it being a challenge when future firmware updates break the plugin without warning...

berkinet is also running 000111 and has no motion events trigged. I suspect a different event code is sent with this firmware. These event codes aren't documented, I just read what my unit was sending. Turning debugging on, please paste the output from a log showing "Unknown event". This will tell me the event code which I can then incorporate.

Pete

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
agame wrote:
.... I've updated the plugin .0.3.0

0 Jul 2018 at 12:03:16
Stopping plugin DoorBird (pid 58487)
Stopped plugin DoorBird
Upgrading plugin DoorBird to newer version 0.3.0 (previous version moved to trash)
Loading plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"
Starting plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 58749)
DoorBird Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

File "plugin.py", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: No module named pysodium

Stopping plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 58749)
Stopped plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:09 am
kwijibo007 offline

berkinet wrote:

That's very strange? I can see the pysodium module in the package? On GitHub too? Could you please delete the plugin and re-install it?

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 am
berkinet offline

kwijibo007 wrote:
...That's very strange? I can see the pysodium module in the package? On GitHub too? Could you please delete the plugin and re-install it?

No change

v0.3.0 of plugin DoorBird is already installed but is disabled (enabling)
    Loading plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"
    Starting plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 59718)
    DoorBird Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain:

Stopping plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0" (pid 59718)
    Stopped plugin "DoorBird 0.3.0"

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:50 am
berkinet offline

berkinet wrote:
kwijibo007 wrote:
...That's very strange? I can see the pysodium module in the package? On GitHub too? Could you please delete the plugin and re-install it?

However, the module is not there:
    Casa-Milagro-Library:Plugins rdp$ ls -lR DoorBird\ 12.45.29.indigoPlugin/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 4 rdp 501 136 Jul 30 12:01 Contents

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents:
    total 8
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 685 Jul 30 12:01 Info.plist
    drwxr-xr-x 3 rdp 501 102 Jul 30 12:01 Server Plugin

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents/Server Plugin:
    total 48
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 24476 Jul 30 12:01 plugin.py

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:58 am
berkinet offline

berkinet wrote:
berkinet wrote:
kwijibo007 wrote:

However, the module is not there:
    Casa-Milagro-Library:Plugins rdp$ ls -lR DoorBird\ 12.45.29.indigoPlugin/
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 4 rdp 501 136 Jul 30 12:01 Contents

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents:
    total 8
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 685 Jul 30 12:01 Info.plist
    drwxr-xr-x 3 rdp 501 102 Jul 30 12:01 Server Plugin

DoorBird 12.45.29.indigoPlugin//Contents/Server Plugin:
    total 48
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 rdp 501 24476 Jul 30 12:01 plugin.py

Problem solved. I was using the plugin from there GitHub desktop directory. For whatever reason, it was incomplete. Perhaps I updated my cache at the same time you were asking a change. Anyway, I downloaded the zip and all is well.

Page 7 of 10 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10