Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:28 am
Barnman offline

Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

I've had my Indigo system running with Insteon products since 2009. It seems like all my original switchlinc dimmers i bought from Machomestore, are failing. These are all the original non-dualband. The led on the side randomly turns off, then it will turn back on. While it is off it will not work. I have 4 that are doing this, and it just really stinks to think i will need to replace 4 switches, then think all they new ones may fail as well.
So my question is, is there anyone that repairs them so i might be able to save some money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:48 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Repairing Insteon switchlinc dimmers

You've gotten a pretty good run out of that Insteon gear! I don't think there is much you can do to work on those since there aren't spare parts kits for them. You might Frankenstein a couple together from other switches but when they go they go generally.

I decided years ago that as my Insteon fails I swap it with Z-wave. Miles cheaper than Insteon and more 'mainstream'. I still have a LOT of Insteon so it'll be a while before I'm 100% Z-wave.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 am
Barnman offline

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
You've gotten a pretty good run out of that Insteon gear! I don't think there is much you can do to work on those since there aren't spare parts kits for them. You might Frankenstein a couple together from other switches but when they go they go generally.

I decided years ago that as my Insteon fails I swap it with Z-wave. Miles cheaper than Insteon and more 'mainstream'. I still have a LOT of Insteon so it'll be a while before I'm 100% Z-wave.

I've thought about adding z-wave, but my understanding is they just work over rf? I have a two story house, and just wondering if the range is good if i just get the dongle for the computer, and only have a switch downstairs.
I will add, I'm getting adds on Facebook to get Insteon switchlinc for $29, 4th of July, with their sale i got Two switchlinc dimmers for $55 shipped

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:10 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Z-wave's reliably is pretty good and the more devices you put into your system the more reliable and meshed it becomes. I never tried having my first Z-wave far from the Mac where my Z-stick is plugged in but it was a weaker motion sensor device that was 30 feet away, through walls diagonally, and it worked excellently. As I have added more and more Z-wave I can say that it is rock solid pretty much 100% of the time.

Battery operated devices don't repeat but maybe your first replacement can be a switch or outlet that is closer to the Indigo Mac, then move out from there and I bet you will have zero issues.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

When people experience Insteon issues, I normally point them towards Z-Wave which is generally a more reliable protocol. However, if your only issue is that you have switches that are 8-9 years old that are dying but otherwise are not having any issues, then I'd probably just replace them. 8-9 years of life on a smart switch seems normal, if not reasonable.

But Z-Wave is a better, faster, more reliable protocol than Insteon so there's that to factor in. If any of those switches use direct Insteon links to other devices (not via Indigo Triggers) then you'll probably want to replace them with new SwitchLincs.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:04 am
Barnman offline

jay (support) wrote:
When people experience Insteon issues, I normally point them towards Z-Wave which is generally a more reliable protocol. However, if your only issue is that you have switches that are 8-9 years old that are dying but otherwise are not having any issues, then I'd probably just replace them. 8-9 years of life on a smart switch seems normal, if not reasonable.

But Z-Wave is a better, faster, more reliable protocol than Insteon so there's that to factor in. If any of those switches use direct Insteon links to other devices (not via Indigo Triggers) then you'll probably want to replace them with new SwitchLincs.

I guess the next question then is, i remember back when lowes started caring iris, i know it is z-wave, at first i remember the support for them was hit or miss at the beginning, will the lowes product work? If so that makes life easier being able to get stuff local!

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:16 am
Different Computers offline

Quite a bit of Iris stuff is Zigbee.

However, Lowe's does sell GE Z-wave switches that work with Indigo. Not sure I've ever seen Lowe's prices on them be very good though.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:34 am
Barnman offline

Different Computers wrote:
Quite a bit of Iris stuff is Zigbee.

However, Lowe's does sell GE Z-wave switches that work with Indigo. Not sure I've ever seen Lowe's prices on them be very good though.

Sorry guess i am mistaken, thought i remembered seeing z-wave on something they had.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Iris does both Zigbee and Z-Wave so you'll see a mix of devices.

+1 on getting from Amazon particularly if you're a Prime member (free shipping and all that). Significantly better selection, usually better prices, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1