Outdoor LED floodlight recommendations

Posted on
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:07 pm
MountainEars offline

Outdoor LED floodlight recommendations

I have a few outdoor floodlights (http://a.co/0sjoF9S) that I have used in the past, but unfortunately they interfere with Insteon traffic so I have to wire in filters and it's not a real clean setup. Was wondering if anyone has come across some that they have not had any interference problems with that are of a similar style (I like the general flatness of this style rather than trying to make it look like a traditional 2 PAR style bulb setup). Would like to have a wide spread on it and decently bright, no need for motion detection.

Posted on
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:24 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Outdoor LED floodlight recommendations

For me I decided on just getting whatever floods that I liked and wired them with Insteon InlineLinc modules and have never had an issue. Those InlineLincs even support motion sensors if the flood has them.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:54 am
MountainEars offline

An in-line linc doesn't solve the noise filtering problem as far as I know. If the light is generating interference then that would still happen.

What happens with these lights is you're able to turn them on, but once they are on they generate interference and you can't turn them off.

I can try some others randomly, but was hoping someone had already installed some that might be of a similar appearance and they know they don't have any interference issues.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

That's kind of what I was trying to say, I've never had any interference issues with my floods and I use InlineLinc. My floods are quite similar to the ones you linked.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:57 am
MountainEars offline

OK, thanks. Maybe I'll try wiring one of those up with an inline linc and see if it works any better. Could be they have some better filtering with it.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:06 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

They make a FilterLinc as well, I have a half dozen of those plugged around the house, maybe it's not so much the light as it is the light with something else. I think they used to make an inline filter too, not 100% on that.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:30 am
MountainEars offline

Yea, I'm using a filter now, that is how I have them working with out issues. The wired in filters are like unicorns I think and the other ones are getting hard to find as well and requires some funky wiring because it uses a plug. Was trying to get a cleaner install for this.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You can always try a Z-Wave micro module (similar to an inlinelinc but smaller).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:55 am
MountainEars offline

I don't have any Z-Wave in my automation, but I guess there's nothing stopping me from adding that :-)

Are there other components I'd need to enable Z-Wave on my setup, I honestly haven't looked into that much because I have such an investment in Insteon at this point but I always forget that with Indigo I can support multiple device types.

And would Z-Wave be less prone to interference?

Page 1 of 1