light flicker during optimization?

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:03 am
Different Computers offline

light flicker during optimization?

for years I've had occasional apparently random flickering of my LED kitchen counter lights, which I ascribed to flaky electronics north of the z-wave switch.

This morning, inspired by some new info about z-wave optimization, I tried an optimize command on a node near those counter lights. It failed for that node, so reached out to the nearest nodes, which included the counter lights.

At essentially the same moment the Event Log showed the Indigo optimization talking to the counter lights, they flickered.

Expected?

I saw it happen again when I saw the log update with "Optimizing - finished "005 - Counter Lights""

Indigo says the model is a "Dimmer Switch - (45606)" Pretty certain it's a GE.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: light flicker during optimization?

I think someone else reported recently that they were seeing flickering when there was a lot of Z-Wave traffic. Hard to know if it's interference with the lights themselves of if the switch is acting oddly.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:09 pm
autolog offline

I can see something like this. :)

When I optimise a Domitech Smart LED Light Bulb (ZB22), at the end of the optimisation, it flashes twice and then stays on. Indigo still shows it as being off.
This happens regardless of whether I am doing just an optimisation of this individual device or the whole z-wave network. So I don't think it is a network traffic problem.

So obviously the optimisation is doing something to the bulb; re-initialising it?

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:44 pm
autolog offline

lanbrown wrote:
Sounds more like buggy firmware. An optimization doesn't reinitialize it. Have you contacted the manufacturer of the device to ask them?

No I haven't as I thought it was a feature and it doesn't really cause me a problem - on the rare occasion I do an optimisation, I just switch it off afterwards. :)

Page 1 of 1