August Pro now supported

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 am
vtmikel offline

August Pro now supported

As of version 1.0.13 (posted today), the August Pro is now tested and supported. See the note below, plus information in the plugin description for more details on configurations that are supported, and features for Pro users.

Note about the August Pro: The August Pro is a ZWave compatible lock that works directly with Indigo without the need for this plugin. I have one myself, and have tested this configuration. This is the best configuration in my opinion, as it eliminates the communication to and from the cloud to lock, unlock, and validate status of the lock. For August Pro users, this plugin adds support for events including Lock by Person, Unlock by Person. Also, you will still be able to delegate the Auto-Lock and Auto-Unlock to Indigo rather than depending on the August App (See features for more information).

Here: http://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/103/

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: August Pro now supported

Sounds like a great update! I'd be interested in hearing what people think when comparing this lock to other standard Z-Wave locks like the Kwikset, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:26 am
vtmikel offline

I've not had any other smart lock. I was attracted to the August initially for four reasons:
  • It had HomeKit support
  • has a integrated doorbell option
  • it's a deadbolt solution
  • Style-wise, my wife really wanted to avoid any bulky lock on the exterior of the door. We liked that the August did not modify the exiting hardware outside.

In retrospect, here are my thoughts now:
  • With HomeKit Bridge (A great addition to the Indigo community), you no longer need HomeKit support on each individual device. Any Indigo compatible Z-wave lock can be added to HomeKit.
  • Having a compatible, integrated doorbell was something that I originally thought would be a convenience, but I now do not think is any more convenient than if it were separate.
  • Because August is a deadbolt solution, it's inevitable that it has to have a motor to operate the lock. I've had three August locks - my first Gen2 failed and I had it replaced by August. I do notice that the Gen 3 pro sounds different - The motor sounds more refined and stronger. The bolt has a shorter "motor time" to lock the door, and I don't hear any variation or resistance in the motor when locking.
  • Style wise, we made the right choice for us. We generally like the August, even though it's inside unit is a bit bulky.

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:27 am
blysik offline

August Pro 3rd gen user here. Just installed this plugin, and it's not seeing my home, or lock.

Debug log:

Code: Select all
   August Home Debug               Refreshing status from August Activity Logs for 0 house(s)...  Last Server Refresh: 2018-07-26 10:12:29.305485  (810 seconds ago) Polling interval: 60

0 houses? I've successfully configured the plugin with the pin. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:45 am
vtmikel offline

Have you created your lock device in Indigo? Here's how:

New...
Type: August Home
Model: August Smart Lock

You should see a device in the top dialog box. Once that is added correctly, it'll pull your house data.

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 pm
blysik offline

When I try that, "Lock device from August app (required)" is empty. My lock isn't present.

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 pm
blysik offline

Debug logs show that it sees the lock. (Replaced details with 'x')

August Home Debug               Obtaining a list of locks...
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Status Code: 200
   August Home Debug               Response HTTP Response Body: {"x":{"LockName":"Front Door","UserType":"superuser","macAddress":"x","HouseID":"x","HouseName":"x"}}

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:36 pm
vtmikel offline

Can you try removing the device, restarting the plugin, and trying again?

Posted on
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:17 pm
blysik offline

That did it. It's working now, thanks!

Posted on
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:44 am
rapamatic offline

I have successfully added my new August Pro as both a z-wave device and an August device using the August Home plugin. I see messages from August Home in my log that indicate when the door is opened and closed, but I don't see that reflected anywhere in the device - is it possible to add that information as a custom device state so I can check it and run triggers against it?

Also, I am having issues where the zwave lock is getting out of sync with the actual state of the lock. See the example below - until I manually refreshed the status, the z-wave device was showing unlocked, while the August Home device was (correctly) showing locked:

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:41:31 AM
   Z-Wave                          received "022 - Smart Lock Pro" status update is unlocked
   Z-Wave                          received "022 - Smart Lock Pro" status update unlocked (via controller)
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was unlocked by Wife at 2018-10-24 08:41:28 (15 seconds ago) via August app

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:45:46 AM
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was locked by Wife at 2018-10-24 08:45:11 (34 seconds ago) via August app
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was unlocked by Wife at 2018-10-24 08:45:14 (32 seconds ago) via August app
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was dooropened by Unknown User at 2018-10-24 08:45:17 (29 seconds ago) via Unknown Method (this event was delayed in the August activity log, so the Indigo lock state had already been updated.)
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was doorcloseded by Unknown User at 2018-10-24 08:45:20 (26 seconds ago) via Unknown Method (this event was delayed in the August activity log, so the Indigo lock state had already been updated.)
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was locked manually at 2018-10-24 08:45:21 (25 seconds ago)

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:36:55 AM
   Z-Wave                          sent "022 - Smart Lock Pro" status request
   Z-Wave                          received "022 - Smart Lock Pro" status update is locked

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:38:10 AM
   Z-Wave                          Indigo Device "022 - Smart Lock Pro" Z-Wave Properties:
Indigo Z-Wave Version: 2.0.119
Node ID: 22
Model: Smart Lock Pro
Model ID: 00010001
Manufacturer: August Home
Manufacturer ID: 033F
Protocol Version: 4.61
Application Version: 1.59
Model Definition Version: 0
Library Type: 3
Class Name: Keypad Door Lock
Class Hierarchy: 04 : 40 : 03
Command Class Base: 62
Command Versions: 20v1 80v1 62v1 63v1 85v1 86v1 6Cv1 8Ev1 71v1 72v1 73v1 55v1 98v1 59v1 5Av1 7Av1 5Ev1 9Fv1
Encryption Status: Enabled for Commands 80 85 86 8E 59 5A 62 6C 71 72 73 7A
Multi-Endpoint Types: - none -
Multi-Endpoint Classes: - none -
Multi-Instance Counts: - none -
Features: routing, battery, beaming, security, frequentWaking
Neighbors: 3, 4, 6, 7, 19
Associations: 1:[1] 2:[]
Config Values: - none -

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 am
vtmikel offline

I have successfully added my new August Pro as both a z-wave device and an August device using the August Home plugin. I see messages from August Home in my log that indicate when the door is opened and closed, but I don't see that reflected anywhere in the device - is it possible to add that information as a custom device state so I can check it and run triggers against it?

I'm not quite certain what you mean by open and closed, can you elaborate? When the door is locked / unlocked, the state of the device does change. I added the feature where you can link your August device to the Z-Wave device (see the device properties for your August device). What this does is defers the lock state to the Z-wave status, rather than going through the cloud to get the state of the lock. From your log, you are getting updates as you said. Are you referring to the Pro's door sense feature?

EDIT: Upon closer review, I now see what you mean. I had not installed my door sense features on my lock. I will install my door sense feature and update the app to reflect the state and improve the log messages.

Also, I am having issues where the zwave lock is getting out of sync with the actual state of the lock. See the example below - until I manually refreshed the status, the z-wave device was showing unlocked, while the August Home device was (correctly) showing locked:

I also have seen my Z-wave device lock state to be out of sync. I set up a 15 minute schedule that runs a status check to correct this, and this has largely resolved my issue since it rarely occurred anyway. Since you've also reported it, I think we should discuss it with Matt and Jay. Do you see any Z-Wave errors in your logs? I occasionally do, but have not confirmed if they are related to the state being out of sync. I also noticed two other small issues with the Z-wave device that I was planning on bringing to Matt and Jay's attention:

1) the Z-wave August device battery is locked at 100%, but my August app is reporting lower.
2) When Indigo does a battery update check on the lock, it times out, but the response does arrive a second after the timeout message

You can safely ignore the fact that your August device state is correct. If you have linked your lock devices correctly, the August device should defer the lock state to the Z-Wave device. Even if you had a circumstance where the August device was the correct one, I believe be best long term solution for you is to rely on the Z-Wave device for the correct lock state.

Posted on
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:44 am
rapamatic offline

vtmikel wrote:
I'm not quite certain what you mean by open and closed, can you elaborate? When the door is locked / unlocked, the state of the device does change. I added the feature where you can link your August device to the Z-Wave device (see the device properties for your August device). What this does is defers the lock state to the Z-wave status, rather than going through the cloud to get the state of the lock. From your log, you are getting updates as you said. Are you referring to the Pro's door sense feature?

I'm referring to the door sense feature that indicates when the door is open or closed. Messages about that do show up in the log:
 August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was dooropened by Unknown User at 2018-10-24 08:45:17 (29 seconds ago) via Unknown Method (this event was delayed in the August activity log, so the Indigo lock state had already been updated.)
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was doorcloseded by Unknown User at 2018-10-24 08:45:20 (26 seconds ago) via Unknown Method (this event was delayed in the August activity log, so the Indigo lock state had already been updated.)
   August Home                     received "Front Door - August" was locked manually at 2018-10-24 08:45:21 (25 seconds ago)

vtmikel wrote:
I also have seen my Z-wave device lock state to be out of sync. I set up a 15 minute schedule that runs a status check to correct this, and this has largely resolved my issue since it rarely occurred anyway. Since you've also reported it, I think we should discuss it with Matt and Jay. Do you see any Z-Wave errors in your logs? I occasionally do, but have not confirmed if they are related to the state being out of sync.

I will turn on zwave debugging, but I did not see any z wave error messages in my log around the time that it came out of sync.

vtmikel wrote:
You can safely ignore the fact that your August device state is correct. If you have linked your lock devices correctly, the August device should defer the lock state to the Z-Wave device. Even if you had a circumstance where the August device was the correct one, I believe be best long term solution for you is to rely on the Z-Wave device for the correct lock state.

In my case the August device was correct, the z wave device was incorrect, but I guess your 15 minute update check should catch that. For what it's worth I haven't seen the August device get the state wrong...

Posted on
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Given you log snippet above, it looks like the lock never reported the status change(s) that happened at 8:45:46 AM via Z-Wave. Notice there are no incoming Z-Wave status changes (as you see at 8:41:31 AM). That seems to imply that it doesn't always send Z-Wave status changes (perhaps because there were so many changes in a short time?)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am
rapamatic offline

jay (support) wrote:
Given you log snippet above, it looks like the lock never reported the status change(s) that happened at 8:45:46 AM via Z-Wave. Notice there are no incoming Z-Wave status changes (as you see at 8:41:31 AM). That seems to imply that it doesn't always send Z-Wave status changes (perhaps because there were so many changes in a short time?)

So I guess the thing to do would be to turn on z-wave logging and see if it is getting partial/incomplete packets or nothing at all... It is odd the lock isn't sending out every status update via z-wave...

Posted on
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:39 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, turn on the debug logging checkbox via the Interfaces->Z-Wave->Configure... menu item so we can see at a lower level if anything is being sent.