WiFi Motion Detection

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:51 am
mundmc offline

WiFi Motion Detection

I heard about this a while back, it’s on Amazon now: https://www.aurahome.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Aura-Home-Monito ... B0765C7NVV

It triangulated based on radio wave disruptions caused by movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 am
Different Computers offline

Re: WiFi Motion Detection

As originally appeared in a Cory Doctorow novel!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:30 am
mat offline

US only at the moment but would be interested to hear if anyone tries it.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:20 am
virgahyatt offline

I checked it out and was rather disappointed. Certainly nothing even close to what was promised when they were first developing it. I had an incredibly hard time getting them to pick up any motion at all. Even getting them to connect and see each other (need at least two) was a pain, requiring that they were facing each other directly. Ended up having to use an extension cord since I didn't have any outlets on opposite ends of the house that were actually directly opposite each other. It might work better if you had more of them but I would wait and see if their next version is any better.

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:22 pm
mundmc offline

virgahyatt wrote:
I checked it out and was rather disappointed. Certainly nothing even close to what was promised when they were first developing it. I had an incredibly hard time getting them to pick up any motion at all. Even getting them to connect and see each other (need at least two) was a pain, requiring that they were facing each other directly. Ended up having to use an extension cord since I didn't have any outlets on opposite ends of the house that were actually directly opposite each other. It might work better if you had more of them but I would wait and see if their next version is any better.

I appreciate your sharing your experience. This sub-forum seems like it should be called “Too Good to Be True Finds.”

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:12 am
rhanson offline

Anyone played with Xandem? There was a thread here on it, and it's about the same as this thing, except with an API. Oh, and I think it was much more expensive.

http://xandem.com/

Released for a couple years, but no reviews online, except for a video which was clearly made by a friend.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:23 am
kw123 offline

...and you can’t buy it ... sold out.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm
mundmc offline

Karl- given your code runs the entirety of my occupancy-related Indigo functions, your rasbpi knowledge, your knowledge of existing technology (e.g. Mother), why aren't you out making millions of dollars? Your stuff is accessible and effective in a way that no other tech-start-uppy product is. Seriously, there are so many new approaches to home occupancy detection, and really no product that I know of (and please let me know if I'm wrong) has gotten it right yet. But pibeacon, with fing and unifi plugins for redundancy, is 99.99% effective for me,

Edit: I mean, talk about flexibility, your code allows me to know my mailman's phone's MAC address. That's just impressive!
Edit 2: Above with help of Security Spy and Pushover plugins.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:00 pm
kw123 offline

Only UniFi cameras missing

But you have not noticed that I also know everything that happens in your home?

And thanks for the kind words. But selling the stuff would be work. And I am happy to not need to do that anymore.

Karl

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:23 am
kw123 offline

how about a plugin "EVENTS" where you can combine devices from different plugins that has a function like EVENTS in fingscan.

One point will be efficiency. I don't like the option for plugins to listen to all changes, but with indigo 7 you can connect plugins and they then only talk when needed ie a specific selected device changes

functions should be:
n devices create a group. the members can be managed in menus
They can be from any plugin that has the plugin-plugin communication option.
each device will have its individual timer ie delay to be active, eg if a device goes UP it will become effective immediately or after xx secs. And the same for down
then in the group of devices you will have the EVENTS : allHOME, allAWAY, atleastOneHOME, atleastOneAWAY and a counter variable nHome, nAway
+ some other options

currently fingscan does this roughly, but I would like to make it more general

any interest?

Karl

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kw123 wrote:
how about a plugin "EVENTS" where you can combine devices from different plugins that has a function like EVENTS in fingscan.

One point will be efficiency. I don't like the option for plugins to listen to all changes, but with indigo 7 you can connect plugins and they then only talk when needed ie a specific selected device changes

[SNIP]

any interest?

This would be a great use of the pub/sub mechanism we introduced in Indigo 7. You guys (developers of plugins that do presence detection) can create an informal protocol using the pub/sub model, where you publish changes to the presence in a standard way. Then any other plugin can subscribe to those changes and do whatever.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:01 am
kw123 offline

yes thats the idea !

will use something like this

in eg UNIFI/fingscan/pibeacon/... you can register /deregister a device / state to be part of the communication:

1. call other plugin to register a device/ state
{
"callingPlugin": "pluginName",
"deviceRegister":{"action":"register","id":id,"state":stateName,"stateOn":valueForOn,"stateOff":valueForOff}
}

2. de register:
{
"deviceRegister":{"action":"deregister","id":id,"state":stateName}
}
then in "EVENTS" it would (de)register new device/states

in UNIFI, once a device change occurs do a call w:
{
"deviceEvent":{"id":id, "state":stateName,"oldValue";old value,"newValue:newValue}
}

EVENTS will have threads that receive these UNIFI events where
- device / states/ values are changed and timers are set

in a EVENTS menu you can
-add/ remove these device states to groups that can trigger events
-set timer parameters for each device/state/value like repeat time gap (ie don't re-trigger away every second)
- set timers parameters for each EVENTtype (home/ away ie repeat time gap for home / away ...)

in the main loop it would do
1. loop through device states and calculate timers for each device /state / value and set internal states
2. loop through GROUPS to trigger events away / home

Karl

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 pm
mundmc offline

This is intriguing and over my head, but it’s a good vector for more tinkering!

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:10 pm
howartp offline

virgahyatt wrote:
I checked it out and was rather disappointed. Certainly nothing even close to what was promised when they were first developing it.

It might work better if you had more of them but I would wait and see if their next version is any better.

To be fair, it is based on triangulation - which requires three by definition.

If you’ve only tried with two, you don’t get anywhere near the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:18 pm
virgahyatt offline

howartp wrote:
virgahyatt wrote:
I checked it out and was rather disappointed. Certainly nothing even close to what was promised when they were first developing it.

It might work better if you had more of them but I would wait and see if their next version is any better.

To be fair, it is based on triangulation - which requires three by definition.

If you’ve only tried with two, you don’t get anywhere near the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh I get that, and I didn't expect it to triangulate anything. Just provide motion/presence detection. But it couldn't even do that. I could drive my car in front of the thing and it wouldn't register it. If it had worked as expected I was going to get an additional one to try out the triangulation bit. But alas that didn't pan out.