iTunes plugin disabling itself

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 6:17 am
mbordas offline

iTunes plugin disabling itself

Has anyone else been having trouble with the iTunes plugin recently? This just started a few week ago, it randomly disables itself sometimes, maybe every few days.

Code: Select all
   iTunes Error                    iTunes stopped due to the following error (will attempt to recover in 10 seconds):

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "statusThread.py", line 134, in run
  File "itunes.py", line 59, in iTunesLogin
UnknownError: 'ITunesController.iTunesLogin() Error getting initial cache update: Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "itunes.py", line 57, in iTunesLogin\n  File "itunes.py", line 181, in updateCache\n  File "dacp.py", line 586, in send_cmd\n  File "dacp.py", line 581, in send_raw\nDACPException: 403 - unknown response status code\n'

iTunes Error                    iTunes has an unknown error - disabling

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: iTunes plugin disabling itself

That seems to imply that iTunes is randomly deciding to fail the authentication request (which really shouldn't be possible since the pairing process is what does that authentication), and in a very unexpected way. More information: Indigo version, macOS version, iTunes version, is it a local or remote iTunes instance, etc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:55 am
t-star offline

I didn't get that one. I got a different one yesterday.
2018-07-05 14:02:18.984 iTunes Error iTunes - House MacMini stopped due to the following error (will attempt to recover in 10 seconds):

File "statusThread.py", line 253, in run
DACPException: 500 - unknown response status code

2018-07-05 14:02:19.322 iTunes Error iTunes - House MacMini has an unknown error - disabling

But I can't seem to re-enable the plugin. It continues to show the iTunes device as unavailable. Have rebooted, disabled etc..

Any ideas on getting it working?

When I try to play iTunes via the plugin I get:
Action Group iTunes: Play
Ignored device "iTunes - House MacMini" action request (communication is disabled)

itunes 12.7.5.9 on the same computer as Indigo 7.1.1. Running MacOS 10.10.5

Side note: I was getting errors with the airfoil plugin shortly before this error. so not sure what was going on at the time.

2018-07-05 14:02:00.853 Airfoil Pro Error Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

File "plugin.py", line 533, in runConcurrentThread
StandardError: ServerCommunicationError -- timeout waiting for response

Posted on
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Have you rebooted both the Indigo server Mac and the Mac that's running iTunes (assuming they are different)?

Is the plugin disabled on only the iTunes Server device? Make sure the Communication Enabled checkbox is checked in the device list for that device or edit it and make sure the Enable Indigo Communication checkbox is checked.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:23 am
t-star offline

I found how to re-establish the plugin device talking with iTunes. I right clicked on the device and selected "Enable Indigo Communication".

Seems to have me back up and running.

Posted on
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:30 am
t-star offline

Thanks Jay. Good to note on the additional columns . I hardly ever scroll to the right in the main Indigo display to see those additional columns. I have the columns sized and arranged to what I need most and I forgot they were out there. I just don't have that many issues. This is the first time in 5+ years that I remember having an issue like this. Keep up the good work!

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:40 pm
manwithavan offline

I've been having the same problem. But despite re-enabling Indigo communication and restarting the server a few times, it keeps happening.
High Sierra 10.13.6
Indigo 7.1.1 (local server)
iTunes 12.8.0.150

Here's some info from the log:

23 Jul 2018 at 6:30:00 am
   Schedule                        Classic FM 6:30am Airplay to 20

23 Jul 2018 at 6:32:00 am
   iTunes Local Control Error      applescript:shuffle_state_set, args:(False,)
   iTunes Local Control Error      iTunes got an error: AppleEvent timed out. (-1712) app=u'iTunes' range=74-89

23 Jul 2018 at 6:34:00 am
   iTunes Local Control Error      applescript:playlist_play, args:(u'Classic',)
   iTunes Local Control Error      iTunes got an error: AppleEvent timed out. (-1712) app=u'iTunes' range=73-109

23 Jul 2018 at 7:01:35 am
   iTunes Error                    iTunes stopped due to the following error (will attempt to recover in 10 seconds):

File "statusThread.py", line 134, in run
  File "itunes.py", line 59, in iTunesLogin
UnknownError: 'ITunesController.iTunesLogin() Error getting initial cache update: Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "itunes.py", line 57, in iTunesLogin\n  File "itunes.py", line 181, in updateCache\n  File "dacp.py", line 586, in send_cmd\n  File "dacp.py", line 575, in send_raw\nDACPException: 503 - server went offline\n'

iTunes Error                    iTunes has an unknown error - disabling

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Given the error above from the iTunes Local Control plugin (which is separate from the iTunes plugin), it looks like you've got some systemic issue going on with iTunes. This error:

File "dacp.py", line 575, in send_raw\nDACPException: 503 - server went offline\n

means that iTunes itself returned a 503 error when the iTunes plugin tried to talk to it. I don't know what could cause that other than iTunes failing in some unexpected way. Note that your error, while similar to the OP (and t-star's), is different.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jay (support) wrote:
Given the error above from the iTunes Local Control plugin (which is separate from the iTunes plugin), it looks like you've got some systemic issue going on with iTunes. This error:

File "dacp.py", line 575, in send_raw\nDACPException: 503 - server went offline\n

means that iTunes itself returned a 503 error when the iTunes plugin tried to talk to it. I don't know what could cause that other than iTunes failing in some unexpected way. Note that your error, while similar to the OP (and t-star's), is different.

I just tried here with all the same versions and it's working fine. I think you've got something else going on with your system and/or iTunes.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 pm
manwithavan offline

Thanks Jay.
Thinking it could be that it's trying to play an internet stream (radio station) and having latency issues. Will try with some local music.
Out of interest, is there any way to prevent it disabling itself? Then if it's a latency issue it might be able to retry and work a few moments later.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:40 pm
Different Computers offline

I have also seen this device disabled thing happening.

10.13.6/Up to date Indigo.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

manwithavan wrote:
Out of interest, is there any way to prevent it disabling itself? Then if it's a latency issue it might be able to retry and work a few moments later.

I'll look at it for a future release, but not making any promises.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:27 am

Discovered iTunes device was disabled again today.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You could try triggering on iTunes errors, and when one happens attempt to reenable it (maybe after a delay). May or may not work depending on what the underlying issue that's causing iTunes to freak out is.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:59 am

Not a bad idea, but in hunting around to build such a trigger, I see "Status is error" but I don't see "enable iTunes device" or anything similar.

Where is that?