Fantastic Weather Feature Requests

Posted on
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:21 pm
DaveL17 offline

Please post any feature requests to this thread.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:07 pm
Monstergerm offline

Re: Fantastic Weather Feature Requests

Plugin does not fill in any information in the Address field of the Indigo device list view.

It might be helpful to fill this field with the GPS coordinates of the device location (perhaps with 5 digit precision if this fits).

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 pm
DaveL17 offline

Monstergerm wrote:
Plugin does not fill in any information in the Address field of the Indigo device list view.

It might be helpful to fill this field with the GPS coordinates of the device location (perhaps with 5 digit precision if this fits).

Thanks for the suggestion.

That's an easy field to populate. To be sure I understand, you mean five digits to the right of the decimal, right? [12.34567, 12.34567]

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:53 pm
Monstergerm offline

Yes, 5 digits to the right of decimal point otherwise latitude and longitude is not accurate enough

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:01 pm
DaveL17 offline

Monstergerm wrote:
Yes, 5 digits to the right of decimal point otherwise latitude and longitude is not accurate enough

Oh, yeah -- one thing doesn't affect the other. You can set the device lat/long to any accuracy you like (Dark Sky may round it at some level) -- whatever we display in the Indigo UI will be merely informational.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 pm
Monstergerm offline

some ideas ...

In the Hourly device, I believe the hour 1, hour 2 etc are always displayed in 24 hr format. Would it make sense to add an option to use 12 hr format with am/pm?

Further, it looks like Dark Sky throughout its data feed always use long names for wind directions (e.g. westsouthwest). On my control pages I often don't have enough room and prefer the shorter WSW. Could this be added as an option?

It might be useful to have the daily summary captured for the Hourly device:
"hourly":{"summary":"Partly cloudy starting this evening, continuing until tomorrow morning."

And it might be useful to have the weekly summary captured for the 8-Day device:
"daily":{"summary":"No precipitation throughout the week, with high temperatures falling to 84°F on Sunday."

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:03 pm
DaveL17 offline

Monstergerm wrote:
some ideas ...

Thanks for the great ideas.

In the Hourly device, I believe the hour 1, hour 2 etc are always displayed in 24 hr format. Would it make sense to add an option to use 12 hr format with am/pm?

This is a bug. Or maybe the better term is oversight. There is a setting for time format in the plugin configuration dialog, but it doesn't currently adjust the Hourly device time, and it should. I'll add that to the list.

Further, it looks like Dark Sky throughout its data feed always use long names for wind directions (e.g. westsouthwest). On my control pages I often don't have enough room and prefer the shorter WSW. Could this be added as an option?

Actually, they provide wind bearing in degrees and I convert that to long wind names. I can easily add a setting for long or short wind names. Added to the list.

It might be useful to have the daily summary captured for the Hourly device:
"hourly":{"summary":"Partly cloudy starting this evening, continuing until tomorrow morning."

And it might be useful to have the weekly summary captured for the 8-Day device:
"daily":{"summary":"No precipitation throughout the week, with high temperatures falling to 84°F on Sunday."

Both easy adds. I'll do those too.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate the ideas you share and the help you've given me with testing.

Posted on
Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:34 pm
roquej offline

First, thank you for the plug-in. Love it!

Second, a quick question. Why is it that non-of the weather plug-ins have a running weekly or 3-5 days precipitation count? This would be very useful in determining when to water plants.

Again, thank you!

JP

Posted on
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:11 am
DaveL17 offline

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the plugin.

I hear you on rain. Dark Sky doesn't present any precipitation actuals-that's probably one of the biggest losses over WU. I'm still using WU7 for precip actual, and am thinking about getting something to measure rain locally.

Posted on
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 am
sumocomputers offline

Dave,

I have been using the FW plugin, and really like it, so thank you for your work on this.

I have also tinkered with the Dark Sky API directly, and I really like the "Currently" and "Minutely" data.

Are there are any plans to add these to FW?

And also the ability to call the API more often than every 5 minutes? If FW is the only app being used to call the Dark Sky API, even every 3 minutes only equates to 480 calls in 24 hours.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:56 pm
DaveL17 offline

Hi Chris - glad that you're finding the plugin useful and thanks so much for the ideas.

I have already added additional refresh frequencies to the current build (under development) and those will be available in the next release. I chose to add 2, 3, and 4 minute intervals (1 minute would be 1,440 calls and be over the base API limit). I originally chose 5 minutes as the minimum because I didn't think that the weather data would change appreciably in smaller frequencies. No matter, it is now up to each user to decide for themselves. :D

The Weather device type gets its data from the API's 'currently' data set, so we're covered there.

With respect to the 'minutely' data, I have no plans to add it (AFAIK, you're the first person to request it). I will add your request to the feature requests list.

Cheers,
Dave

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 am
norcoscia offline

How about a new hourly forecast page - something like this?
Attachments
2019-05-13_08-10-40.jpeg
2019-05-13_08-10-40.jpeg (152.02 KiB) Viewed 5772 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 am
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
How about a new hourly forecast page - something like this?

Hi Norm - this is something that would be pretty tough to do given that there are so many different screen sizes and resolutions to contend with. It would be pretty easy for you to do in the Control Page editor; however. Build one line and then copy/paste that line as many times as you want. Then, all you would need to do is update each control page element for the proper day/data.

Posted on
Mon May 13, 2019 10:21 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks Dave good idea!!!!!

_______
Norm

Page 1 of 1