Indigo app hanging on my Mac Mini almost every day

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm
katiaf offline

Indigo app hanging on my Mac Mini almost every day

Ok, I have tried to do troubleshooting but now I am running out of ideas and need some help! While troubleshooting, I was founding errors in the event log related to AppleScript and I had some old Growl notifications using AppleScript so I decided to move all those to the Prowl plugin. After that, the errors stopped, buy unfortunately the Indigo app keeps hanging (spinning wheel, Indigo non-responsive, "Force Quit" suggested).

The server keeps working most of the times, even after the app hangs (however, in some occasions devices/signals do start failing).

I went to Console and searched for "Indigo" with my Mac Mini selected. There is one message that keeps repeating almost every seconds (sometimes twice or thrice in one second: "IndigoPluginHost nw_path_close_fd Failed to close guarded necp fd 9 [9: Bad file descriptor]"

Could this be the reason it is hanging? Can you please help me with this error?

Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo app hanging on my Mac Mini almost every day

Disable all plugins and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then start enabling them one at a time until you find the one that's causing the issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:11 am
katiaf offline

jay (support) wrote:
Disable all plugins and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't, then start enabling them one at a time until you find the one that's causing the issue.

Thanks, Jay. Last night I decided to reinstall Indigo 7.1.1 and that pesky error in console went away. I will try the plugin-by-plugin troubleshooting if the app keeps hanging.

* *Update**
So far, no hangings or plugin errors in Events log after reinstalling 7.1.1.

Posted on
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:21 pm
katiaf offline

Jay, the Indigo Application hanged again and the console errors reappeared. After following your advice, it seems that the problem is with the fingscan plugin. I turned the plugins off one by one and the errors stopped right after turning of fingscan. I will post another message in that forum to see if I can get some help. Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:39 pm
siclark offline

I have had some issues with fingscan, and a couple of other plugins. I found it helps to have a schedule to restart fingscan (and itravel) every night. That helps my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:52 pm
katiaf offline

siclark wrote:
I have had some issues with fingscan, and a couple of other plugins. I found it helps to have a schedule to restart fingscan (and itravel) every night. That helps my system.

Thanks, siclark. I limited the number of devices that fingscan is updating to just a few using the new version, but it didn't seem to help. I confirmed that restarting the fingscan plugin gets rid of the console errors (at least for some time). I know fingscan restarts after midnight by default but it makes sense to add some scheduled restarts throughout the day and see if that helps my issue. How did you do schedule it? Through a script?

Never mind, I found how to restart it through a script and added a schedule to restart several times a day. Fingers crossed.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:25 am
siclark offline

Great. I have had to do it to 3 plugins which otherwise seem to get out of control and hog memory and resources until they eventually bring down the system. Annoying its needed, but its easy to deal with. My fingscan works fine with just a once a day restart, you might not need multiple times.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:41 am
howartp offline

Have you reported to the Devs of those plugins so they can look into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:44 am
siclark offline

The main problem one is iTravel and the dev doesnt seem to be around anymore. Fingscan was only occasional issues and never quite sure if it was causing significant problems. Sonos was the other big problem and yes been reported.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 am
kw123 offline

I have the error message also
But it is not only fingscan. Have them without fingscan. It looks as if they are correlated to number of I/o = how many plugins are running

But in my mac they do not seem to create any problems

Posted on
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 pm
katiaf offline

Just a quick update...

I have not had any occurrence of the Indigo app hanging after adding the schedule to restart Fingscan 4-5 times a day. I am not 100% sure that was the solution, since I also tweaked some other things. The most important other change was to move email handling from Indigo to the Better Email Plugin. Since everything looks stable now, I will keep it as is and maintain the Fingscan restart schedule.

Thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 1