INSTEON Motion Sensor

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:07 pm
Traumatized1 offline

Re: INSTEON Motion Sensor

I got this directly from the insteon forum,

This motion is outdoors as it is supposed to be indoor outdoor. The temp was above 32 when this happened.

Their reply [b]So it must be at the 50 degree threshold then. I’ll let the Insteon team know next time I talk to them.[/b]

When you say send an alert and then stop, do you mean the motion will stop working or the temp sensor will send a report and stop sending that button 19?

Their reply Temp sensor is separate from the motion sensor. It was supposed to send the alert once and stop.

Do you know when there will there be a solution?

Their reply I don’t expect one anytime soon. Since it is not a supported feature set… i.e. not in software, documentation, or marketing… it would not make sense for them to pull engineers off current projects to revisit this. We will have to wait to see what their plans are moving forward.

Sent by the Insteon Forum

:arrow: :arrow: They then sent the following in an email to me:

Insteon command to disable to alert: 2E0001077B848092C080D0100000008C

Full serial command to disable to alert: 0262IDIDID1F2E0001077B848092C080D0100000008C
IDIDID = Motion sensor Insteon device Id.

For full disclosure this is not something I usually mess around with but you may be able to send the serial command through indigo to have those alerts stop. I hope it all works out.

Best of luck!!!!

Please help me.
Thanks
Rich Fantus

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:52 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Choose the Interfaces->Insteon->Execute Raw INSTEON Command... menu item, then fill it in so it matches the image below exactly, except choose your motion sensor device from the popup.

Note I just added the 0x (zero and x) character to the front of every 2 hex digits. You have to enable the Send extended message checkbox, then expand the height of the window downward to see the D1 to D14 edit fields. You'll need to wake up the module (probably just put it into linking mode) so that it can see the command. Watch the Event Log window when you press the Execute button. If it doesn't work then copy/paste the contents of the Event Log window into a reply.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 4.46.27 PM (2).png
Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 4.46.27 PM (2).png (395.05 KiB) Viewed 10000 times

Posted on
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 pm
Traumatized1 offline

IT WORKED!!!!!!!

No more button 19 on commands every minute. That cut down traffic by 1440 extraneous commands per day. Hopefully the battery will last more than 4 weeks now.

Here is what Indigo returned after the command was executed.

Feb 7, 2018, 9:44:54 PM
Sent INSTEON "O22i Dog Motion version 2 ACTIVE" raw insteon command (2E 00 01 07 7B 84 80 92 C0 80 D0 10 00 00 00 BC; ack: 00)

Thank you for your guidance.

Rf

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:19 pm
Welshdog offline

Okay this is a coincidence. I have an older Motion Sensor - not the new II version. It has started send out an Off command immediately followed by an On command every three minutes. This is not behavior I have seen before in all the years I've had it installed.

I have not yet changed the battery, so I'll go do that and come back in a while.

Event log looks like this:

Feb 14, 2018, 5:08:23 PM
Received INSTEON "Garage Motion Sensor" off (button 1)
Trigger Garage Light Motion - Off
Sent INSTEON "Garage Keypad" off
Received INSTEON "Garage Motion Sensor" on (button 1)
Trigger Garage Light Motion - On
Sent INSTEON "Garage Keypad" on

Feb 14, 2018, 5:11:35 PM

Feb 14, 2018, 5:14:38 PM

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm
t-star offline

when I have seen this it is usually an indicator that the battery is going bad.
Last edited by t-star on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Welshdog offline

It was the battery - all good now.

Posted on
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:54 pm
ticotice offline

I have three of the new Insteon 2 motion sensors (2844-222). I like the form and USB power option, but I am at a loss as to how to change their sensitivity to motion. They are way too sensitive and, since I use them outdoors, my house gets disco lighting at night with the slightest breeze. This was not a problem with original Insteon sensors (2842-222). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Posted on
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 am
FFS offline

I just picked up a few new Insteon Motion Sensors (2844-222). When I tried to sync them I get the "Failed to establish a link with the device." error. Since I'm still using Indigo 6, I'm assuming it's 'cause they're not in the database.
Not that I don't want to give you guys money to upgrade to 7, but my server is running MacOS 10.6 and I see Indigo 7 requires 10.7 (and we all know how upgrading that will go).

So, is there a way to manually add a device to the database? Or some other way I can use these sensors with Indigo 6?

Thanks a lot!

Posted on
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FFS wrote:
I just picked up a few new Insteon Motion Sensors (2844-222). When I tried to sync them I get the "Failed to establish a link with the device." error. Since I'm still using Indigo 6, I'm assuming it's 'cause they're not in the database.
Not that I don't want to give you guys money to upgrade to 7, but my server is running MacOS 10.6 and I see Indigo 7 requires 10.7 (and we all know how upgrading that will go).

So, is there a way to manually add a device to the database? Or some other way I can use these sensors with Indigo 6?

Support for the Insteon Motion Sensor II was added in Indigo 7.0. Have you checked your Mac to see if it can be upgraded to 10.7?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 am
FFS offline

Have you checked your Mac to see if it can be upgraded to 10.7?

Oh yeah, I can upgrade to 10.7. I just don't want to deal with it now 'cause the machine is running a bunch of other services that may not be compatible with 10.7.
I just wanted to know if there was a manual way to add a device to the database so it can at least sync.

I do see the MS show up in the log when it detects motion, so I guess I can monitor the log with a script and activate a trigger from that.
I also thought of syncing the MS with another Insteon device (ya know, the Insteon way) and then monitor that device with Indigo.
Let me know if you think of any other ways I might be able to do it.

Thanks for the reply!

Posted on
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:05 am
ticotice offline

RE-POST of Question from Jun 27:

I have three of the new Insteon 2 motion sensors (2844-222). I like the form and USB power option, but I am at a loss as to how to change their sensitivity to motion. They are way too sensitive and, since I use them outdoors, my house gets disco lighting at night with the slightest breeze. This was not a problem with original Insteon sensors (2842-222). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Posted on
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We don't yet have the developer documentation needed to change the configuration settings on the newer motion sensors. I just reached out again to Smarthome to get the details. Hopefully, we'll hear back from them soon.

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Hey guys, just an (unfortunate) update on setting sensitivity in the Motion Sensor II. From Insteon:

Insteon in an email wrote:
The ability to adjust motion sensitivity via software properties was originally planned for the 2844-222 but was never implemented as the final hardware configuration that was decided upon does not support this. Older versions of the Motion Sensor II developer notes may have indicated contrary to this however, as the software property was still left in memory and exposed in property commands. Changing these values had no effect on the device.

As it stands, the only way to change the motion sensitivity of the 2844-222 is to short the two jumpers (labeled “J2” on the PCB) together. These are located just below the USB connector behind the battery compartment. Doing this noticeably reduces the motion sensitivity of the device.

Indigo 7.2 will allow you to set the motion timeout.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:55 pm
ticotice offline

Thanks for sticking with this issue of motion sensitivity on the Insteon 2844-222 sensor! Kind of a bummer that they (Insteon) did not include this very important adjustment on their "Improved" motion sensor. I will try the recommended J2 jumper method to decrease the sensitivity. I'll report back when I have decent amount of time/data on the sensor.

Posted on
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:03 am
ticotice offline

I used the J2 jumper method to desensitize my Insteon motion sensors about a week ago. I’m happy to report this hardwire modification reduces the motion sensitivity by significantly. I’m estimating about a 50% reduction. This suits my installation but I’d still like to see a software tunable sensitivity.

Page 6 of 9 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9