Basic question on FWP

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 am
norcoscia offline

Basic question on FWP

Hi Dave, I wanted to try your new plug in but wanted to ask you if the new plugin will automatically use the icons I have in place (that I made) for whether underground. If not, do you plan to put in that capability - or is it impossible? I took a quick look at the documentation but the answer to that question did not jump out at me. Thanks!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:46 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Basic question on FWP

Hi Norm -- please see this post.

Bottom line is that the icon names will need to be changed.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:51 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks Dave, not sure how many users are on Weather underground but it would be swell if somehow the old names could be mapped to the new names automatically - is that something that is possible for a future update - maybe user selectable in the configuration?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:04 am
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
Thanks Dave, not sure how many users are on Weather underground but it would be swell if somehow the old names could be mapped to the new names automatically - is that something that is possible for a future update - maybe user selectable in the configuration?

Yeah, I realize it's a bit of a hassle and I considered what you suggested. Ultimately, I decided to have Fantastic Weather stand on its own and not create any kind of bridge between the two plugins. I think bridging the two opens up a lot of potential ways for things to go sideways.

There are considerably fewer icon names with Dark Sky than with WU, so I don't think the transition should be too bad.

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:06 am
norcoscia offline

:-) says the Ninja coder to the guy with to giant thumbs on the end of his arms....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:14 am
DaveL17 offline

:D

Renaming should be as easy as this:

Highlight a file
Right-click and select Duplicate (or alternatively type CMD-D).
Rename the file to something appropriate (like fw_icon+clear-day.png)

When you're done with the process, I'd suggest deleting (or archiving) the WU icon files for a bit.

Posted on
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 am
autolog offline

Hi Dave,
Fantastic effort creating this so quickly. :D

I am running Beta 2 (v0.1.02)

A few questions, if I may:
  • Display Units in Edit Device Settings. What are the available choices for say rainfall? I would like to have it in millimetres.
  • What is Index?
  • How does the plugin know to display the temperature in degrees C as opposed to F. It is doing it in C which is OK for me, but I just wondered.

I have (or did have) a PWS linked to Weather Underground. Is there anyway that the plugin could work with data retrieved from a PWS?

Thanks again for your efforts on this and can I complement you on the standard of documentation in your Wiki :)

Posted on
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:30 am
DaveL17 offline

autolog wrote:
Hi Dave,
Fantastic effort creating this so quickly. :D

Hey, thanks. The guts of the WUnderground plugin worked here, so it wasn't too tough of a lift. It also gave me a chance to rework some legacy things that had been bothering me.

Display Units in Edit Device Settings. What are the available choices for say rainfall? I would like to have it in millimetres.

The Display Units settings in all devices are strings that are appended to the UI value of select states. So temperature of 12.3 could become '12.3 ºC' or whatnot. This setting doesn't affect the underlying state value.

What is Index?

That needs better help bubbles. Index will adjust things like Ozone and UV, It's the same string appending setting as above. This actually may be an unneeded setting for Indexes.

How does the plugin know to display the temperature in degrees C as opposed to F. It is doing it in C which is OK for me, but I just wondered.

This highlights a notable difference between the Weather Underground API and the Dark Sky API. Weather Underground sent both Imperial and Metric measures in each response. Dark Sky, on the other hand, sends only one at a time. So there were a couple ways to go on this:

• Offer one setting for all devices (this is what I chose). I reckoned that the number of users that would want both simultaneously might be small.
  • Offer per-device settings: this would require multiple API calls per refresh as well as a necessary way to track internally which call applies to which device.
  • Offer one setting for all devices with an override (and doing all the conversions internally).
In direct answer to your question, there are several choices within the plugin configuration dialog: Automatic (based on lat/long), Canadian, Metric (SI), UK, and US. I suppose that users wanting something different than the built-in methods could use a Device Extensions workaround... The various settings are explained in greater detail in the Dark Sky API docs.

I have (or did have) a PWS linked to Weather Underground. Is there anyway that the plugin could work with data retrieved from a PWS?

I think that would be a heavy lift given the potential differences between weather stations. The GhostXML plugin might be a good choice for this... Let's talk.

Thanks again for your efforts on this and can I complement you on the standard of documentation in your Wiki :)

Thanks for that. Like my code, it can always get better, so if you see anything that's not clear or could be expanded upon, please let me know.

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:46 am
norcoscia offline

Hi Dave - have you gotten the icons to work - I have tried everything I can think of and all I get is the default icon to show on my control page.

Also your new plugin is not listed on the indigo web page that shows your plug ins - the one below - but if you click on the daves plug-ins it does list your Fantastically Useful Weather Utility

I also notices (yesterday in the device) that icon 3 was listed as partly-cloudy-night and I can not figure out why it was listing the night icon, or, for that matter, why any night icon would show up on the list of daily icons - am I missing something? Or should I wait until it is out of beta testing?
Attachments
2018-07-07_04-39-34.jpeg
2018-07-07_04-39-34.jpeg (25.41 KiB) Viewed 3532 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 am
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
Hi Dave - have you gotten the icons to work - I have tried everything I can think of and all I get is the default icon to show on my control page.

Also your new plugin is not listed on the indigo web page that shows your plug ins - the one below - but if you click on the daves plug-ins it does list your Fantastically Useful Weather Utility

I also notices (yesterday in the device) that icon 3 was listed as partly-cloudy-night and I can not figure out why it was listing the night icon, or, for that matter, why any night icon would show up on the list of daily icons - am I missing something? Or should I wait until it is out of beta testing?

Hi Norm - thanks for checking in.

It appears that Dark Sky's naming convention doesn't play well with Indigo's image heuristics--I have had to replace the default hyphen with an underscore. So "clear-day" will become "clear_day". I have uploaded Beta 3 which includes this (and other) fixes.

Thanks for letting me know that the forum doesn't appear on the summary page. I'll reach out to Matt & Jay on that one.

I'll take a look at my code, but I've inspected the API data and I'm passing along what Dark Sky is sending. I'll keep an eye on this and if it doesn't right itself, I'll reach out to Dark Sky.

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:40 am
norcoscia offline

OK thanks Dave - - are you saying I should name the .png image using the underscore or leave it with the dash since you fixed it?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:08 am
DaveL17 offline

norcoscia wrote:
OK thanks Dave - - are you saying I should name the .png image using the underscore or leave it with the dash since you fixed it?

The names should use the underscore.

weather+.png
weather+clear_day.png
weather+partly_cloudy_day.png
weather+partly_cloudy_night.png

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

DaveL17 wrote:
Thanks for letting me know that the forum doesn't appear on the summary page. I'll reach out to Matt & Jay on that one.

Fixed - missed a radio button when creating the subforum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:40 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks Jay!

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:06 am
norcoscia offline

Still no work-e :cry: I'm sure it is me..... just not sure what to do next.

_______
Norm