Does anyone know of a device that can measure pressure

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:23 am
norcoscia offline

Does anyone know of a device that can measure pressure

Hi, wondering if a device (that works in indigo) is available that could measure pressure like a manometer. I would like to set it up to measure the pressure difference on either side of my AC filter to detect when it is getting clogged up. Has anyone does this?

This could save a lot of money since you would not change a filter that is still flowing OK. My AC/Central Heat unit uses 5 inch filters (which are expensive) so I'm motivated to extend the change interval if possible.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:02 am
kw123 offline

Re: Does anyone know of a device that can measure pressure

bme280 or bmp 280 or bme680 sensor have temp/ pressure +(280 :humidity, 680:air quality) , cost ~ $2..$20 + either ESP or raspberry pi

They should be sensitive enough

Karl

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks Karl - I'll check out the spec sheet - they need to measure about a 1/10 of a inch of WC. I'm surprised someone has not built a small form factor stick that allows the user to plug in whatever sensor they have and set it up with dip switches.

I have been wanting to give your RPi SW a shot but not sure how hard it would be to figure it all out - I'm like the benjamin button of programming, the more I try to do it the harder it seems to get and the more I seem forget :-)

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:11 am
norcoscia offline

I guess another way to go would be with an open/close sensor that supports dry contacts and one of these.
Attachments
2018-07-07_10-10-59.jpeg
2018-07-07_10-10-59.jpeg (187.8 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:41 am
johnpolasek offline

kw123 wrote:
bme280 or bmp 280 or bme680 sensor have temp/ pressure +(280 :humidity, 680:air quality) , cost ~ $2..$20 + either ESP or raspberry pi

They should be sensitive enough

Karl

I actually have a pair of the temperature-pressure ones as well as a Pi0W sitting by my server to build an AC monitor like he is talking about; I just haven't had time to setup the pi, but once that's done, it will be just a simple create devices and variables and write some triggers... However, I figured to put them on either side of the coil... I plan on calculating the delta )P between when the AC turned on and went off to get the dp across the filter and monitor the delta T and humidity across the coil to track how well the compressor was performing as the outside temperature climbs. My only irritation is that all the One-wire devices only give you a choice of two IDs FE and FF; The Pi could support a whole stablefull of them if more than on e GPIO could talk one wire, but as it is two at a time is all I can access.

Page 1 of 1