traveling ...

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am
kw123 offline

traveling ...

often when I am traveling I have issues with YAHOO as well as iCloud email. They think that I am a hacker and block my access . Then it takes we some online session to rectify this. I normally use VPN to dial back home so that they think I am still home, -- but apple decided to uninstall the vpn server from my Mac magically (it just disappeared) -- :evil:

My Yahoo is still blocked , the MAC email was restored after 1 hour on the phone with apple - they made me change my iCloud password which I now have roll out on 10+ apple devices. HOTMAIL I could do online. --- Web access seems to be not affected.

Any one having experience in this area and what do you do ie what is best practice?

Karl

venting a little

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: traveling ...

I do quite a bit RV'ing and have developed a pretty comprehensive Internet access from anywhere using pre-paid hotspots from every carrier that sells them so that no matter where I am I have a good signal. I have never run up against this before on either Yahoo or iCloud - but I don't use my Yahoo when I'm traveling really, but I use iCloud extensively, I've never had to VPN in for that and haven't ever been locked out while on the road simply because I'm coming from a new IP.

Have you enabled two factor authentication on iCloud? If so then the worst that should happen is that one of your iOS devices gets prompted to allow you access.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm
CliveS offline

I setup the Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway as the VPN Server, solid as a rock.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:32 pm
mat offline

I travel all over UK and Europe and constantly changing IP's and providers and have never had an issue with icloud email. I have 2FA enabled - sorry. Do Apple rate some accounts as high risk and lock them at the first sign of a potential problem? Might be worth asking them. My bank did that to me a few years back and my cards are refused a couple of times a month (but better that way than just paying out - its usually a 2 minute call).

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm
Different Computers offline

kw123 wrote:
but apple decided to uninstall the vpn server from my Mac magically
The one that used to be part of OS X Server?

If you updated Server recently, that's when it disappeared.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:01 pm
kw123 offline

Yes the OS X server version. But I checked and the statement was that if you had it installed it would not be touched. And I recall it was still there. Anyway.
Will likely go with the UniFi gateway solution.
Is there an easy to follow script?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:18 pm
CliveS offline

kw123 wrote:
Yes the OS X server version. But I checked and the statement was that if you had it installed it would not be touched. And I recall it was still there. Anyway.
Will likely go with the UniFi gateway solution.
Is there an easy to follow script?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the Youtube video that Willie Howe put out about a year ago, simple enough, even I managed it!

https://youtu.be/ote3Zv0XdyU

or search on Youtube for
UniFi Remote User VPN

I use a 20 character password and 20 character secret key, I do love 1Password. :)

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Page 1 of 1