issue w apple TV and high Sierra IP # change

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:45 am
kw123 offline

issue w apple TV and high Sierra IP # change

After I installed MAC-Pro w High Sierra, my 2 apple tv act up.

They change their IP number to the IP # of the MAC when not streaming after about 3 hours. They then flip their IP number between the assigned (DHCP) and the MC's ip number every 2-3 minutes. This does not happen when they are on, ie streaming TV channels.

I changed the MAC's IP number and the same thing happens, The Apple TVs change their IP#s to the new Macs ip number.

The MAC does not run any proxies, just file, screen sharing and remote login.

The TV's get their fixed IP number from the DHCP server (UNIFI GW). The MAC has a fixed IP number on the DHCP server as well as locally .

Have not tried to set a fixed IP# on the apple TVs themselves, but this should not happen anyway.

When the MAC is off it does not happen

Have not found anything on the web, any advice?

Thanks

Karl

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:59 am
Different Computers offline

Re: issue w apple TV and high Sierra IP # change

kw123 wrote:
The TV's get their fixed IP number from the DHCP server (UNIFI GW). The MAC has a fixed IP number on the DHCP server as well as locally .

Do you mean you have a DHCP reservation set in the DHCP server? I'm otherwise confused by the combination of "fixed IP" and "DHCP server."

I would look carefully at the DHCP setup--do you maybe have a wild card in the mix? Since all 3 are Apple devices, there's likely to be similarity in the MACs. I don't have a Unifi Gateway, so I can't really help there.

I totally agree that you shouldn't need to do more than DHCP reservations, but it's probably best practices for all devices you might want to have a known address for be configured statically. And it's likely the easiest fix.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:50 am
kw123 offline

Re: issue w apple TV and high Sierra IP # change

Set on the dhcp server to a fixed ip number :
Click on device and make it a fixed iP number. No confusion about the mac numbers.

In addition you can set the ip number in the local device. I did that also on the mac. Not on the AppleTv

There must be something on Sierra that make the Apple TVs go through the mac like a proxie server or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1