selling unifi equipment

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:09 am
kw123 offline

selling unifi equipment

have moved my unifi controller to my old mac mini (core duo) and have a spare cloud key

have replaced my ap-pro wifi access points with the new version - but it does not really get faster..

so I am offering:

- One cloud key (list price = $75)
- Three Unifi AP-PRO wifi access points (list price $200 for one, ebay ~ $50 for one)

all together
$60 + shipping

This is a good starting point to get off the ground with unifi .. and it comes with setup help if you want it.

Karl

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm
Korey offline

Re: selling unifi equipment

kw123 wrote:
have moved my unifi controller to my old mac mini (core duo) and have a spare cloud key

have replaced my ap-pro wifi access points with the new version - but it does not really get faster..

so I am offering:

- One cloud key (list price = $75)
- Three Unifi AP-PRO wifi access points (list price $200 for one, ebay ~ $50 for one)

all together
$60 + shipping

This is a good starting point to get off the ground with unifi .. and it comes with setup help if you want it.

Karl

Wow crazy deal for someone!

I paid $70.00 for my cloud key alone!

If I wasn't all Unified up I'd grab it!

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:36 pm
siclark offline

If I wasnt in the UK I'd jump at this. Best way to get proper reliable mesh WiFi at home that also gives good insight into network through indigo plugin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:23 pm
Different Computers offline

Some of you guys must have thick walls or HUGE houses to need 3 APs. My house is big and the whole thing is covered by one more or less centrally located one. Or were outbuildings the purpose?

Also, I know I tried to understand what cloud keys do from reading Ubiquiti's site, but dang if I could figure it. A security device, sure, but how does it work?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Different Computers wrote:
Also, I know I tried to understand what cloud keys do from reading Ubiquiti's site, but dang if I could figure it. A security device, sure, but how does it work?

Not really a security device. It's a bad name. Unify needs a management app running, at least part of the time, since the config UI is all web based. You run it all the time if you want it to handle handover between APs and such. You can run the software on an always on computer (mine runs on my Indigo Mac mini), or you can install a cloud key which is basically a nano computer (think rPi) powered by the POE ethernet connection to the LAN.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm
DaveL17 offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
It's a bad name.

+1 on that. I think the idea is that it's one way to allow for remote administration via the cloud (if configured to support it).

+100 to Karl for the amazing offer.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm
kw123 offline

unifi needs some software to run in the lan of the unifi devices.

It can run on mac, pc, raspberry,.. AND on a dedicated device from UBNT: "cloud key", don't know why it has this name - it is a very small arm based device with an 8GB ssd that runs a stripped down linux version.

You login via chrome and can configure all unifi devices in your lan.
- AP
- Gateway <== mostly this one ip#, dns, filters, wifi settings ..vpn ...
-switches - enable/disable ports, reboot ports, set props, mirror ports ...

And you can set the "client" properties. These are the NON unifi devices. Set nick-names, ip numbers, block / unblock, connect / reconnect ..

Then you can run reports, track traffic, dashboard, ...

Karl

the plugin attaches to all of the above unifi devices and "listens" to log files and reads internal db dumps once in a while and it can also set things: eg reboot, port on/off ...

Posted on
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:47 pm
Different Computers offline

Thanks for the explanation! No wonder I was confused.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 am
siclark offline

Different Computers wrote:
Some of you guys must have thick walls or HUGE houses to need 3 APs. My house is big and the whole thing is covered by one more or less centrally located one. Or were outbuildings the purpose?

In the UK most houses are brick walls, including internal walls so the range of WiFi gets cut down a lot. I have a medium sized house and ideally need 3 inside (managing on 2 for now) and 1 outside as brick walls and metal patio doors kill wireless (on my wish list).

Also if you have each AP separately wired back to the switch you can avoid bottlenecks from 20 devices all using the same WiFi router.

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 am
siclark offline

In the UK most houses are brick walls, including internal walls

Basing knowledge of US houses entirely on US diy / makeover shows that show most are stud wall / plasterboard (dry wall) so guess you have better range inside. Apologies if completely wrong.

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 am
FlyingDiver offline

siclark wrote:
Basing knowledge of US houses entirely on US diy / makeover shows that show most are stud wall / plasterboard (dry wall) so guess you have better range inside. Apologies if completely wrong.

That's true - most internal walls are wooden (or sometimes metal) studs and drywall. External walls are either framing (wood studs) or concrete block, in most cases. "Brick" homes are rare. The brick is usually just a facade over block or framed exterior walls. For recent construction, anyway. Mid-20th century and earlier could be brick everywhere.

Wood construction is more common here than many other places because we just have more. Wood that is. Lots of forests, and the lumber companies reseed and grow more. There's enough land to do that. In other parts of the world without as much space for growing lumber, brick and concrete is much more prevalent.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:12 pm
siclark offline

Yes. Plus we have lots more older houses. Either way, WiFi, and zwave and 433mhz wireless to a lesser extent is a nightmare. Proper APs , rather than cheap boosters have been amazing in my home. Wife even approves, ie she doesn't complain that the WiFi doesn't work now!!

Amusingly am on holiday in a hotel at the moment that has WiFi everywhere and spotted they are using ubuiti gear (APs on the corridor ceilings)

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Although I generally get pretty good indoor coverage on wireless technologies (yes, wood studs with drywall covering here), there are two materials that seem to block any signals more than anything -- the cement board siding and the freaking foil-backed plywood sheathing on the roof. I basically cannot get an over-the-air TV signal in the house and cell phone coverage is abysmal. My neighbors without either material has great signal/coverage.

SO, my use of mesh is based on two issues -- first is coverage to outside room (carport-connected that we finished off) and screen porch, both of which are behind the cement board siding and the fact that the most convenient place for the router is on one side of the house. I would have great coverage the house over, I believe, if I would centrally locate the router. But would still need one for outside porch/pool/outside room.

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Also of note is that multiple APs allow you to potentially gain coverage on the 5Ghz band where as a single AP may only reach extents with 2.4Ghz... so your speeds would vary more throughout the house.

Posted on
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:52 pm
DaveL17 offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Also of note is that multiple APs allow you to potentially gain coverage on the 5Ghz band where as a single AP may only reach extents with 2.4Ghz... so your speeds would vary more throughout the house.

That's an excellent point -- I need to do some testing around the house to see if there are any soft spots. The UniFi controller definitely shows the footprint of our signal to be smaller than the house (using the Google Maps view).

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]