GreenSky MQTT Bridge Plugin (SmartThings Bridge)

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:13 pm
jh71283 offline

Re: GreenSky MQTT Bridge Plugin (SmartThings Bridge)

Ten points to Jay!

Sorry guys, I've just published 2.0.1 that has no such dependency!

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:17 pm
AndyVirus offline

Yep that works! Thanks!

Whats the Superbridge sections in Config used for?

To answer Jays much earlier question about the difference between this plugin and the other MQTT plugin is: This plugin has the ability to create devices such as switches which can send MQTT messages when that device is controlled such as On and Off. The other plugin you would have to create triggers to do this which is fine but not a convenient and to then integrate that with Homebridge would require 2 action groups, 2 variables and virtual device (then add the virtual switch to HB).

The other plugin is fine if you want to subscribe to a topic and output that to a variable (such as the energy monitor on a Sonoff Pow) and graph that but for devices, this plugin is more useful for my needs.

To be fair to mqttGateway, i cant get it to actually work so if i did not get python errors when trying to create a device that subscribes to a topic, maybe on and off buttons would appear and do the same thing, but i cant so I am biased to the one that works for me.

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:35 pm
jh71283 offline

The SuperBridge is my term for the feature where everything gets echoed to MQTT.

So effectively, every state change for every device is now automatically sent out to MQTT, based on the SuperBridge Out pattern.

The plugin also listens for state changes for all devices, based on the SuperBridge In pattern.
However, because I am limited in what I can do to devices that I didn't create, I only listen for 'switch' and 'level' as the states.

If you want to see what the plugin is doing, and what topics it is listening to, I suggest you switch on debugging temporarily. Not for too long, though, as it can put a lot of info in the log!

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:19 pm
BonfireVA offline

Thanks for the updated plugin!

The configuration is pretty simple, but I cant seem to figure out why I am not getting any MQTT messages to send. I updated the plugin, added the IP and user/password for my broker. Then I added an MQTT switch device, entered my stat and cmd topics, and changed the on and off payloads to all caps (using tasmota on some sonoffs). I opened up MQTT fx and monitored MQTT traffic on my broker, but I don't see any messages being sent when I hit the "on" or "off"buttons in Indigo. Also if I turn the light on manually or toggle it via the tasmota web interface or HASSIO I don't get any status updates in Indigo. I am guessing I missed something simple, any ideas?

-Eric

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:37 pm
jh71283 offline

Oh you have just reminded me. I think there is a bug with newly created devices. Try reloading the plugin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:54 pm
BonfireVA offline

jh71283 wrote:
Oh you have just reminded me. I think there is a bug with newly created devices. Try reloading the plugin.

I tried reloading the plugin as well as rebooting the mac, still not seeing any MQTT messages being sent. In the log I do not see any errors, and when I hit the on or off buttons for the device I get the "GreenSky MQTT Bridge sent "Name of device" on/off" with no error, but I still don't see anything via MQTT. I tried enabling debugging but no new information is provided.

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Eric

Posted on
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:14 pm
steinis offline

How can I send a value to Hass, Feks a dimmer or lux status?

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 am
jh71283 offline

BonfireVA wrote:
jh71283 wrote:

I tried reloading the plugin as well as rebooting the mac, still not seeing any MQTT messages being sent. In the log I do not see any errors, and when I hit the on or off buttons for the device I get the "GreenSky MQTT Bridge sent "Name of device" on/off" with no error, but I still don't see anything via MQTT. I tried enabling debugging but no new information is provided.

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Eric

I've updated the plug with some clearer debugging.

Are you using an Authenticated broker?

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:47 am
BonfireVA offline

jh71283 wrote:
BonfireVA wrote:
jh71283 wrote:

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Eric

Thanks

Yes, I am using authentication on my broker. I verified the credentials are correct, and I am able to connect to it via MQTT fx as well as HASSIO so the set up should be good. Ill download the update and check out the updated debug logs.

Thanks!
-Eric

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 am
BonfireVA offline

BonfireVA wrote:
jh71283 wrote:
BonfireVA wrote:
jh71283 wrote:

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Eric

Thanks

Yes, I am using authentication on my broker. I verified the credentials are correct, and I am able to connect to it via MQTT fx as well as HASSIO so the set up should be good. Ill download the update and check out the updated debug logs.

Thanks!
-Eric

Ok, updated the plugin. Now when I toggle the MQTT switch on or off, I get an additional entry in the log that says "message sent" and then the MQTT topic and the "on" or "off" designator. But I am still not seeing anything actually hitting the broker. Just for grins I removed the usename and password entries from the plugin settings, I was hoping to see an error in the log indicating that the plugin could not connect to the broker, but no error appeared and in this state I toggled the switch again and the say log responses are displayed.

I also enabled anonymous access and removed the authentication requirements on the broker just to see if there was an issue with the authentication piece, but I ended up with the same results. If I reload the plugin with or without authentication enabled on the broker, I get a "connected with result code 0" in the debug window. I believe this means the plugin has connected to the broker properly.

-Eric

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:07 pm
durosity offline

The original link for setting up the Smartthings side of things no longer works (for me.. I assume same for everyone?). Is it effectively the same steps as in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0KbL2GJSs

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:16 pm
jh71283 offline

Yep that's the one. The guy that does the home automation videos in his car (!)

I'm working on the authentication bug now.

Posted on
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:51 pm
durosity offline

Excellent, I’ll give it a watch when I’ve got some time free. I got a ST hub quite cheap so it’ll be interesting to see how well this all works. Though that said so far I have to say I’m not impressed with smart things at all. Seems horribly overcomplicated for what it is and the UI is appalling.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 pm
BonfireVA offline

jh71283 wrote:
I'm working on the authentication bug now.

So I turned off authentication and enabled anonymous access on my broker (using mosquitto built into HASSIO). I still see that the plugin connects with no errors, but it does not seem to send or receive anything. I even tried a short test topic just incase my topics had to many characters, but still nothing. Has anyone got this to work with Mosquitto as their broker with no authentication?

-Eric

Posted on
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:59 pm
danowitz offline

I am also not able to get this working with Mosquitto on a raspberry pi.

Help!