Permission denied errors for file paths?

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:15 am
CrazyFin offline

Permission denied errors for file paths?

The squeezebox plugin has been working perfectly fine for many months (at least thats what I think... :oops: ) but today I noticed the following error when restarting the plugin:

Code: Select all
 Started plugin "Autolog Squeezebox 2.2.0"
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Error in plugin execution startup:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 410, in startup
KeyError: ('debugFolder',)

Autolog Squeezebox              Started 'GARAGE':
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Unable to create cover art folder: /Library/Application Support/autolog/squeezebox/45158709
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        deviceStartComm: StandardError detected for 'GARAGE' at line '2560' = local variable 'coverArtFile' referenced before assignment
   Autolog Squeezebox              Started 'GUEST ROOM':
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Unable to create cover art folder: /Library/Application Support/autolog/squeezebox/1481998146
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        deviceStartComm: StandardError detected for 'GUEST ROOM' at line '2560' = local variable 'coverArtFile' referenced before assignment

I think that I have not seen this error before and when I go into the config settings for the plugin and press save I get an error saying "error creating cover art autolog folder - please correct error". When I hover above error 13 permission denied for the file path for cover art and the debug files.

I am using the default paths "/Library/Application Support" so I guess something has been messed up with the permissions in this folder?

It doesn't even help if I temporarily give "Everyone" write and read access to that folder, I still get permission denied error when trying to save the settings for the plugin.

If I change the paths to for example my home path where documents reside I am able to save the settings but when starting the plugin after that I get the following errors:

Started plugin "Autolog Squeezebox 2.2.0"
   Autolog Squeezebox              Autolog 'Squeezebox Controller' initialization complete
   Autolog Squeezebox              Started 'GARAGE':
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Cover Art Error -  IN: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Squeezebox.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/nocoverart.jpg
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Cover Art Error - OUT: /Users/dator/autolog/squeezebox/45158709/coverart.jpg
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Cover Art Error - ERR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Squeezebox.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/nocoverart.jpg'
   Autolog Squeezebox              Started 'GUEST ROOM':
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Cover Art Error -  IN: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Squeezebox.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/nocoverart.jpg
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Cover Art Error - OUT: /Users/dator/autolog/squeezebox/1481998146/coverart.jpg
   Autolog Squeezebox Error        Cover Art Error - ERR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Squeezebox.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/nocoverart.jpg'

Plugin works fine in Indigo though and my scripts that starts and stops the music works as they should.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:59 am
autolog offline

Re: Permission denied errors for file paths?

I have just tried this on my system (High Sierra 10.13.5) and it works OK :?

Can you check if the coverart.jpg file exits in the folder:
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Squeezebox.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/nocoverart.jpg
It should do because it is part of the installed plugin.

Also check what files you have in the folder:
/Users/dator/autolog/squeezebox/
It might be worth running the system disk utility to reset permissions? :)

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 am
CrazyFin offline

autolog wrote:
Can you check if the coverart.jpg file exits in the folder:
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Squeezebox.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/nocoverart.jpg
It should do because it is part of the installed plugin.

Hmmm this is very strange! I do not see any Resources folder under "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Squeezebox.indigoPlugin/Contents/Resources/" as you write the path. I only see "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins/Contents/ and there is no Resources folder there either.
I see also that the plugin has a "2" in its filename: "Squeezebox-2.indigoPlugin"

autolog wrote:
Also check what files you have in the folder:
/Users/dator/autolog/squeezebox/

I see folders with the ID:s of each player but their folders are empty. It is only the debug folder that has a debug.txt file in the folder.

Hmmm I bet it has something to do with permissions been screwed up. due to some other installations I have done in the last 2-3 months... System has been up and running without a restart for that long. I´ll dig into some older log files to see if I can see those errors in the last 30 days.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:07 am
autolog offline

I think the issue is the incorrect plugin name. :|

Did you re-download the plugin? sometimes if it already exists it renames the file by appending a number to the filename.

Probably the best approach is to:
  1. disable the plugin
  2. shutdown the Indigo server
  3. delete the plugin from the disabled plugins directory
  4. download the plugin from the Indigo Store
  5. unzip the file and then copy the plugin to the disabled plugins directory
  6. restart Indigo
  7. re-enable the plugin

A bit long-winded but something along those lines should work. :)

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:21 am
CrazyFin offline

Cool, I did exactly as suggested.

However, when I have started Indigo 7 again and I try to enable the plugin it still seems to refer to the old one:
   Error                           plugin "Squeezebox-2.indigoPlugin" is missing file: /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/Plugins (Disabled)/Squeezebox-2.indigoPlugin/Contents/Info.plist
How can I completely remove/delete a plugin from Indigo 7 in order to do a "fresh" re-install of a plugin?
I don't bother about loosing the current Squeezebox setups, I can re-do them quite quickly.

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 am
autolog offline

Plan B :) :
  1. Shutdown Indigo
  2. Delete the plugin from the plugins folder and empty trash
  3. restart Indigo - should show no sign of the plugin, if it does try restarting Indigo again.
  4. Assuming no sign of plugin, then re-install the plugin (with correct name that you have just downloaded from the Indigo store
  5. I think your settings and devices should be OK - thumbs crossed (is that what you say in Sweden?) :)

Hope that works? :)

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:17 am
CrazyFin offline

Ok, I was able to clean up properly and after a restart there was no sign of the plugin anymore.
So a new download and I made sure the name was not changed due to having an old previously downloaded file left.

Installed the plugin and I could now see that the plugin was installed properly as a NEW plugin.

However, same problem remains... :shock: :x

It seems as if the plugin is not able to create the folders it needs in the path "/Library/Application Support/"
Still "Permission denied".

So I decided to create a folder called "autolog" in my home folder "/Users/dator/" and I entered the path "/Users/dator/autolog" in to all three fields for the different paths on the configure page. Restarted plugin and voilaaaaa!
It all works when I do it this way but there must be some issue with file/directory permissions since the default paths does not work.

I´ll keep it this way, happy now. :-)

autolog wrote:
"thumbs crossed (is that what you say in Sweden?)"

He he almost right, we actually say "Hold your thumbs...."
Sounds really odd when translating it from Swedish to English... :lol:

Posted on
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:30 am
autolog offline

Good news it's working. :D

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 am
Espressomatic offline

The plugin settings don't seem to be able to write to the system path "/Library/" nor the user path "~/Library/" in High Sierra with Indigo 7.2 by default. At the very least the plugin is generating an error even after some manual corrections.

There are no duplicate plugins installed.
Nocoverart jpeg file is present in the plugin's resources folder.
Changing the folder permissions for the user path and then manually pasting the full path to the user's app support path for cover art and temp still produce an error, but neither text field is highlighted in red.
After this, there is an autolog folder created and a squeezebox sub-folder, but nothing under that yet.
After closing the configuration window, the first time selecting "configure plugin" from the plugins menu for this plugin didn't produce any result.
The only way to close the configuration in the step above was to cancel - and therefore the path changes weren't saved.

Changing permissions for the system path allows the plugins configuration to accept the default paths - but this isn't ideal.

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:34 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I agree it isn't ideal (or correct). The squeezebox plugin was written for Indigo 6 and hasn't been updated to meet the the recommended approach for Indigo 7.

I no longer use Squeezebox and therefore it hasn't been at the top of my list to sort out.

I am unclear from your report whether you have got round the problem (albeit not in an ideal way) or it still isn't working for you?

Posted on
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:36 am
Espressomatic offline

I think it should be working after the last part I described above, but honestly, I ran out of time and haven't had the chance to play with it yet.

I'm still using a pair of Squeezebox 3 here, but I'm also frequently using Plex on the TV or mobiles or Apple's iOS music app via Airplay. The Logitech/Squeeze server is stable but the reason I use it less often than I used to comes down to having to use iPeng which I find slower and more finicky than the other apps.

Page 1 of 1