Outdoor Colored Lighting

Posted on
Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm
akimball offline

Outdoor Colored Lighting

So I have successfully installed about 25 gen 3 hue bulbs outdoors, working great through two winters, and thanks to Nathan’s Hue Light plugin, it integrates very nicely with Indigo. These lights not only produce any white light color i want but very nice colors for holidays too. I use a red-white-blue theme for patriotic holidays, green for st. Patricks, christmas season light colors, oranges and browns for thanksgiving. I use red when my team wins and blue when my spouses team wins... and halloween, boy oh boy I have more fun than a barrel of monkeys, saturating the house with a deep dark indigo-purple-violet hue and running lightning flashes (amazingly bright) and rain.wind.thunder.lightning sound tracks. I have had many many comments from halloween trick or treaters and their parents about the hue light display and they range from “fantastic” to ‘“the best decorations we’ve ever seen”. Okay, yes, i did spend $1000 on it all but it’s really cool.

Anyway, what is now missing are color coordinated outdoor garden Lights. The philips hue led strips, gen 3, do unsolder nicely with a good hot-air gun into 13” subsections....and you can string them together...with alot of work. I was thinking of wrapping 13” sections around a 3/4” post and making my own outdoor lights....but what a pain! So i googled.... i came up with THIS!

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-LIGHTIF ... a+lightify

Sylvania-Osram Lightify Zigbee Outdoor Colored Gardenspot lights. Yuk....zigbee. Apart from being too close together, like 18” apart.... is there any chance someone has a hue interface, or a zigbee solution...to use these within Indigo?

I need to guide frightened children along my scary lightning paths to the evil candy dungeon.

-Al

Posted on
Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 am
noel1983 offline

Re: Outdoor Colored Lighting

How about the flux led plugin and any of the many magic home cheap led stop sets? They’re rated as outdoor friendly and waterproof. Just not great for direct visibility of the lights better for hidden features as you see each led very clearly

Posted on
Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

akimball wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-LIGHTIFY-Gardenspot-SmartThings-Assistant/dp/B00R1PB2ZY/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1526593240&sr=1-8&keywords=Sylvania+lightify

Sylvania-Osram Lightify Zigbee Outdoor Colored Gardenspot lights. Yuk....zigbee. Apart from being too close together, like 18” apart.... is there any chance someone has a hue interface, or a zigbee solution...to use these within Indigo?

I thought someone mentioned once that the Osram lights worked with the Hue Hub? Maybe I'm just imagining it...

The FluxLED plugin is a good idea, but I'm still somewhat confused about what works and doesn't work with all the options there.

[EDIT] - here's some clarification about Osram Lightify/Hue Hub.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am
akimball offline

Noel and Jay. Thank you for the reply’s.

I have spent 45 minutes looking over the “Magic Light” solution and it’s cheap enough that I’m going to purchase a few items to experiment, but like you Jay, I’m confused on exactly what this works with right now. If it works with any rgbw led system, then maybe all i need to do is find the best outdoor solution.

Also Jay, thank you for raising the possibility of Osram working with the hue hub. I’ll dig some more through the forums.... research.

Here is my back of napkin idea.... , or at least what I’m looking for.
1. Variable wiring distances using sprinkler cable. Like regular outdoor lighting, the manufacture shouldn’t be telling you how far apart to place your lights...other than consideration of cable losses.
2. Waterproof outdoor RGBW path spikes at any point.
3. Waterproof outdoor bush strings of “fine dot micro” leds to cover various selected shrubs. Would connect to main string with an inline connector.

I love the hue led strings and bulbs because of the deep-purple/indigo hues i can get from them. But holy cow $$$. Any advice on comparable color controls in the general led/bulb market?
Attachments
C2F9F0CA-DF81-4CAD-B300-6E91C788C68F.jpeg
C2F9F0CA-DF81-4CAD-B300-6E91C788C68F.jpeg (127.91 KiB) Viewed 2721 times

-Al

Posted on
Fri May 18, 2018 11:10 am
akimball offline

Jay, thank you for the link in your edit. -al

-Al

Posted on
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 am
Colly offline

Hi akimball,

Did you get a solution to this? I'm looking at lighting some outdoor trees and a patio area and wondering what the best options are. Did you try the Magic Lights?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:17 pm
Colly offline

Giving this a bump in case you missed it akimball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:20 pm
akimball offline

Tanks for the reminder. Sadly i didn’t get to this yet and probably won’t until next season in 2019. Still lusting over the philips calla lights but they won’t do the effect I want.

It’s occured to me that another reason to wait is that my bushes are still growing to their full size.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:22 pm
Colly offline

Thanks for the update. I’ll see how I get on and post if I make progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm
jltnol offline

Ok so what I did was to get some Fibaro controllers, and then some RGBW waterproof LED lights.. and a 12v power supply. The Fibaro was the most expensive, the actual LED lights no so much, and the 12V power supply wasn't expensive either. My longest string consists of 3 lengths of the LED strips. Everything came from Amazon.

Be aware that there are 12V power supplies designed for LED's, so look for those. And those strings can really use a bunch of power, don't undersize your power supply.

Wiring can be tricky, but if you are contemplating doing this, it should be easy.

Posted on
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:53 pm
siclark offline

That's what I'm intending. Seems simplest and cheapest and have direct zwave control rather than via a plugin. Not sure why you would do hue led strips?

Page 1 of 1