How to Setup RFXCOM

Posted on
Sat May 12, 2018 8:56 am
ckeyes888 offline

How to Setup RFXCOM

Hey,

Got as far as getting it communicating, I think, with some things but have no idea how to setup devices for triggers.

I see this in the log:

Code: Select all
RFXCOM                          initializing communication on port /dev/cu.usbserial-A12HDS42 at speed 38400
   RFXCOM                          connected to RFXtrx 433.92 MHz, firmware version 24
   RFXCOM                          currently enabled receiver protocols: Oregon Scientific, X10
   RFXCOM                          enabling receiver protocols: Undecoded
   RFXCOM                          stored changed settings into non-volatile memory
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 26, type = 86). Select a Wind meter from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 971, type = 82). Select a Temperature sensor (with humidity) from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 1549, type = 82). Select a Temperature sensor (with humidity) from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 122, type = 85). Select a Rain sensor from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 26, type = 86). Select a Wind meter from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 295, type = 82). Select a Temperature sensor (with humidity) from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 1063, type = 82). Select a Temperature sensor (with humidity) from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 1521, type = 82). Select a Temperature sensor (with humidity) from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 122, type = 85). Select a Rain sensor from the list of devices
   RFXCOM Error                    unknown device detected (id = 971, type = 82). Select a Temperature sensor (with humidity) from the list of devices

Seems to setup a device you need the channel number which I don't see in the log...maybe the id?
Also I have the X10 protocol activated but when pressing buttons on my Palm remotes nothing shows in the log.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sat May 12, 2018 10:28 am
jalves offline

Re: How to Setup RFXCOM

Yes, the channel number is the Id.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat May 12, 2018 11:54 am
kw123 offline

... and when a device does a power off/on it changes its # :cry:

Posted on
Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm
ckeyes888 offline

kw123 wrote:
... and when a device does a power off/on it changes its # :cry:

That’s not good at all.
Of my 5 OS remote temp sensors only one seems to be working.
The other devices all show temps but aren’t at all accurate to the sensors reading.
The wind direction and gust both read and change but again, aren’t at all accurate to the weather station
readings they show.

I was hoping to be able to ditch Weathersnoop, since the newer version doesn’t even support
OS weather stations anymore, but this method seems way to flaky.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sat May 12, 2018 3:01 pm
kw123 offline

How to Setup RFXCOM

Beside the changing number thing it is actually working very well. Long battery life and really stable

I have
3 temp/ humidity
2 pool temp
1 rain sensor
1 wind meter

Would buy them again

Fortunately the number change does not happen too often. Only when the batteries have to be replaced. ~ 1/ year .. and up to every 2 years for simple temp sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by kw123 on Sun May 13, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 7:39 am
ckeyes888 offline

Thinking if I could get the X10 receiver portion of it working I could retire my W800RF32
but that won’t work either.
Maybe there are better docs somewhere on how to set it up?
I’ve tried making X10 devices and sending on/off commands from my X10 remotes but they don’t update.
The log shows the received commands from the W800.

I use a number of the Palm remotes and it would seem to receive all those codes I would need
to make a device for each button?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 10:00 am
b_weijenberg offline

The RFXtrx433E operates at 433 MHz and US X10 operates at 310 MHz so it cannot be received.
For US X10 or US Visonic PowerCode sensors the RFXtrx315E is available. However, the US X10 sensors do not use a crystal controlled transmitter and transmit often 1 MHz lower or higher and this is outside the band limits of the RFXtrx315E.
Another option is maybe to modify the X10 sensors and replace the 310 transmitter by a 433.92 MHz transmitter.
Here an example: http://www.domotica.famschenk.eu/MS10A-433.html

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 6:48 pm
ckeyes888 offline

b_weijenberg wrote:
The RFXtrx433E operates at 433 MHz and US X10 operates at 310 MHz so it cannot be received.
For US X10 or US Visonic PowerCode sensors the RFXtrx315E is available. However, the US X10 sensors do not use a crystal controlled transmitter and transmit often 1 MHz lower or higher and this is outside the band limits of the RFXtrx315E.
Another option is maybe to modify the X10 sensors and replace the 310 transmitter by a 433.92 MHz transmitter.
Here an example: http://www.domotica.famschenk.eu/MS10A-433.html

Thanks. All info that I wish I knew before I bought it.

Carl

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 9:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I find that it always pays to ask questions here on the forums before buying new hardware or updating software. The collective intelligence on the forums is an awesome resource.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
The collective intelligence on the forums is an awesome resource.

Even with my massive drag on it!

Can you still return the item?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 4:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
The collective intelligence on the forums is an awesome resource.
Even with my massive drag on it!

There's always that one that totally ruins the curve...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 4:23 pm
durosity offline

Ruins the curve? I AM THE CURVE! I was born it in.. moulded by it. I didn’t see a straight line until I was a man.

Wait.. that sounds wrong.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 4:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
until I was a man.

Oh? When did that happen, last week? Congratulations! :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm
durosity offline

Yes the operation was a complete success!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2018 4:38 pm
ckeyes888 offline

“Can you still return the item?”

Actually did finally get most all of my weather station stuff working with it.
The response time is much faster for temps, wind speed etc. so it’s not all bad.
Seems really odd that it won’t do X10 stuff, especially since it’s sold as being compatible.

Carl