"Updated"??? [Hue Lights status update question]

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 am
Different Computers offline

"Updated"??? [Hue Lights status update question]

This: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=20700&view=unread#unread

any guidance on figuring out what's causing this light to turn on?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 5:49 pm
nsheldon offline

Re: "Updated"??? [Hue Lights status update question]

The plugin is just reporting the status update it gets from the Hue bridge. It's not turning on the light. If it were, you'd see something like
Code: Select all
Sent Hue Lights                 "Side Door Light" on to 100 at ramp rate 0.5 sec.
There are a few things that could cause that light to go on outside of Indigo/Hue Lights plugin.
  • Power Cycling - Philips Hue bulbs default to the "on" state whenever power is cut and restored. If something cuts power to the Hue bulb then restores power, the light will come on by itself.
  • Rules on the Hue Bridge - Any number of rule can exist on the Hue bridge to turn on the light (some kind of geofencing or time of day schedule, etc).
  • Other Devices Controlling It - Any changes made by any other device outside of Indigo will be reflected in Indigo in less than 20 seconds from when the Hue bridge detects the change.
  • ZigBee Security Breach - I'd consider this very unlikely, especially if your firmware has been updated recently, but still a remote possibility. (See this article for reference).
  • Defective Bulb - This is the least likely, but still possible.

(P.S. I updated the subject to something more descriptive).

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm
Different Computers offline

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Power was on all the time.

I have no rules at all in the Hue app.

No other devices were active, and I essentially never use other devices to control Hue bulbs.

Maybe on the defective? It's also the bulb most distant from my hub, though it has neighbors closer for relay signals compared to others.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and upgrade the hub to V2.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm
nsheldon offline

You might try swapping the Side Door Light with another Hue bulb that you know works well. If the swapped out bulb starts behaving the same way, it's either something with the light fixture (or other part of the circuit) shorting out, or a range or radio interference issue. If Indigo frequently reports that that device is "Disconnected" (info it gets directly from the Hue bridge), then it's probably a range and/or radio interference issue.

Page 1 of 1