Rachio to Indigo Communications

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 6:53 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Rachio to Indigo Communications

So I finally got to use my Rachio for the first time since acquiring it this past winter. The app works pretty well and I love the science based watering :). One thing I noticed, though, is that when my sprinklers run there is no indication in Indigo that anything is happening. The polling interval is 3 but I don't have a single log entry indicating that my sprinklers ran either yesterday afternoon or this morning. Is this by design? I assumed (yea, I know) that they would be synchronized.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 8:59 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Rachio to Indigo Communications

The activeSchedule state will change if it's running from a Rachio schedule. There is no integration between Indigo sprinkler schedules and Rachio schedules. The plugin also doesn't put anything into the logs except errors.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 9:01 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Ok, thanks. Seeing as you are the author of the plugin and an avid user of the product, what do you consider best practices for the Rachio? Run from the science based ETo calculations on their site or use Indigo to do everything?

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 10:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Avid may be a bit strong honestly - my EZFlora died so I needed a replacement and the Rachio had an API. If I had to do it again, not sure I'd go with it given the API is cloud-based (their recent throttling addition that could very well have caused issues being just one example of the downside).

Their early "science-based" logic didn't work very well according to many users but that may have gotten better. I prefer my Indigo-based logic better so Indigo does all the control. But, who knows? Maybe I'll give their swanky "intelligence" a try some day.

YMMV.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:42 pm
bighop offline

I moved into a new home and after a few years I’m getting the sprinkler system put in. My EZFlora died at my other house, and I never replaced it. Now I see from smart home that it’s not being produced at this time. Is there any replacement recommendations?

The company doing the service is offering this WiFi valve system and app... it would run over $700 to use their system. I’m hoping for a better solution

Posted on
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

bighop wrote:
The company doing the service is offering this WiFi valve system and app... it would run over $700 to use their system. I’m hoping for a better solution

They're charging $700 for a Rachio? That's excessive - you can buy one directly from Rachio for $179.

Note, however, that Smartenit is still selling the EZFlora - not that I'm recommending it, but just wanted you to know that they are.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:45 pm
bighop offline

It was a WiFi valve, and timer combo. Had an app that did all kinds of schedules, also connected to weather stations so irrigation would adjust based on the weather.

If the EzFloria is not the way to go is the Ranchio? Just looking for recommendations. I’m running indigo 7 on a newer Mac mini with Hi Sierra.

Page 1 of 1