Hue Lights discussion

Posted on
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 pm
akimball offline

Re: Hue Lights discussion

I have an app that does a really great lightning simulation with gen3 and maybe gen2 hue lights. Would love to be able to manually trigger this ‘flash’

-Al

Posted on
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:12 pm
nsheldon offline

You might be able to simulate it with an action group in Indigo with 2 actions, one right after the other where the first one turns on a Hue bulb with a 0 sec transition time (ramp rate) and the 2nd action turns it off with a 0 second transition time. Worth a try anyway.

Posted on
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:28 pm
akimball offline

I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

-Al

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:48 am
Different Computers offline

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:35 pm
akimball offline

It is Gen2 however. Gen3 has much better colors; greens are green, cyan is cyan, and blues are blue. My favorite Hue color Aqua, is non-existant prior to gen3 and Indigo in gen 3 really looks great... and Gen3 seems to make a difference when using the latest features like entertainment areas.

That being said, gen2’s don’t totally suck.

Note: some hue bulbs like Hue G10 and Hue Par16 bulbs are still stuck at gen2. However you can get the bulbs, the candelabra’s, and the BR30’s in gen3. To know if you;re buying Gen3, look for the green circle/symbol on the upper right face of the box which says “Richer colors”

-Al

Posted on
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:03 pm
durosity offline

Was gen 3 the ones that came with the 2.1 hub? Or was it a later update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:00 pm
akimball offline

Durosity, The gen 3 lights have been rolling out one product line at a time; not sure when this started with regard to the hub version. I have 3 gu10’s stuck at gen 1 or gen 2 that I’d really like to upgrade. Maybe this year Philips will get to them. The problem mixing gen 3’s in a room with earlier generations is the color contrast is very noticeable. The three gu10’s i need upgraded to gen 3 provide the theater effect lighting on a 150-inch retractable screen as it’s dropping and as the projector warms up to full intensity, then these lights slowly fade out and it’s movie time. Green is not good.

Hey Nathan, I know this has been asked before (and know the answer about popup controls aren’t programmable in indigo touch except by indigo-domotics), but have you heard of anyone getting a 3rd party color controller that could be called by indigo Touch and then store the variables before transfering control back to indigo touch? Explaination: I’m getting so many hue lights in my system that even my simplified state-machine controller approach is becoming cumbersome. Every time i add a new color to the presets, or add new lights, i need to write a new and bigger state machine....and back annotate all previous state machines to use the new color...and having 16 or 40 (lol) color buttons with corresponding state machine in indigo touch for each set of devices is getting old, cludgy, and hard to fit into indigo touch. The perfect so,ution would be a color-selector touch controller built in, but it’s not soup yet....to my knowledge.

I thought I should ask because monday i have more hue lights arriving for four more controlled groups. Thank you for making the number of presets definable btw.

TIA

-Al

Posted on
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:30 pm
nsheldon offline

Hi Al.

I haven't heard of anything like that specifically. However, if you find an app that controls the Hue stuff the way you want, you might be able to accomplish what you're looking for using URL Schemes. App developers for iOS can assign a custom URL scheme for their app that allows other apps (or web URL links) to open an app and even send basic commands to it via URL. Indigo Touch has a URL scheme that you can use to open Indigo Touch to a specific Control Page from an external app or web site (see this article). And since you can embed URL links into Control Pages, you could launch another app from any control in the Control Page within Indigo Touch. I've used this to open the Hue app ("hue2://" is the URL scheme for that app).

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 12:31 am
nsheldon offline

Version 1.6.12 Posted

• Added support for the IKEA 30 Watt dimmable LED transformer.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 8:14 am

Bulb swap again

I'm revisiting the bulb swap issue.

I have a Hue downlight I want to move. It's currently "Room Corner".

Redefined Room Corner to Group 0 as instructed. This seems to have taken.

Reloaded the plugin. (Tried this the second time I went through this next process.)

Opened Table Lamp. Redefined it as a Hue Color/Ambience, where it had been a LivingWhites.

Tried to select Corner Lamp, which was in the drop down, but was told it was in use by Room Corner.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 10:08 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Bulb swap again

That’s strange. You said
Different Computers wrote:
Redefined Room Corner to Group 0 as instructed.
Where did you find those instructions?

Try redefining the Room Corner Indigo device as something not defined by the Hue Lights plugin, such as a X10 device or something. Then redefine the Table Lamp. Let me know if that works.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 am

Re: Bulb swap again

nsheldon wrote:
Where did you find those instructions?

In this very thread.I think I searched for "bulb swap."

Oh and I had to change it to a virtual device because I had no unused INSTEON or Z wave stuff. But swap complete now!

thanks.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 10:38 am
akimball offline

So, i will bump the 50 light limit within a week. I saw it mentioned recently that a way around this is to fool indigo into hue plugin #2. Can I have some clues exactly how I do that? Some resource needs to be changed? Some ID number?

Also, i would need to do this any time an upgrade appears... wouldn’t I?

-Al

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 pm
nsheldon offline

@Different Computers: I'm glad the Virtual Device substitution method worked.

@akimbal: I just double-checked the Hue API documentation and the bridge can technically go up to 63 light devices plus 63 sensor devices, but they discourage going over 50 of either because doing so will likely start degrading performance. But you can go past 50 if you need to.

As for the multiple Hue bridge issue, the only way to support multiple hubs is to use multiple copies of the Hue Lights plugin, but you have to edit a few files in the copied plugin so Indigo thinks it's a different plugin. And yes, Hue Lights upgrades will be a pain on the second copy of the plugin. In any case, here are the instructions on how to create a second instance of the Hue Lights plugin so that you can use both at the same time.

See this thread.

Posted on
Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm
akimball offline

Thank you. :). Exactly what is needed.... i don’t mind a 2nd hue bridge. Just the interface with Indigo was my main worry.

-Al

Page 57 of 103 1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 103