Automatic Plant Watering

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 1:15 am
MarcoGT offline

Automatic Plant Watering

Hi all,

Inside the house I have a few plants/flowers that need to be watered.
Problem arises when I we leave for more than 5/7 days.

I found some rPi projects but I would like to integrate something with indigo.

Idea is to have a bottle plant, with soil moisture sensor and water pump.

Any idea?

Posted on
Fri May 04, 2018 7:31 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Automatic Plant Watering

I've considered this many times and figure that when I do it I'll likely do it with an Arduino or RPi. The reason I haven't is because the soil sensors are both expensive and not extremely accurate. I've looked into the pre-built systems out there that work over WiFi and they are reviewed mostly 2-3 stars at best because affordable soil sensors are just not very reliable.

I take a lot of RV trips in the summer and I can tell you what I'm doing, totally no tech, that works perfectly and that's just letting the plants wick. I just have coffee cans (I've also used pots, old plastic jugs, etc) and fill them with water and run a thick shoe lace (plastic ends cut off) from the water to the plant and bury the string 4-5 inches below the service. When the soil gets dry it wicks water into it. I come home after a long period away and the soil is moist and the plants are happy - no HA required. I haven't lost a plant yet.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2018 10:33 am
WalterCoots offline

Re: Automatic Plant Watering

Way cool! Does the shoelace and water reservoir need to be above the plant, in order for gravity to have an effect? Or does the absorption of liquid through the lace work regardless of placement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1