Door sensor a bit ugly for bathroom door!

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:29 pm
durosity offline

Re: Door sensor a bit ugly for bathroom door!

noel1983 wrote:
First hole I drilled I hit the screw

I moved into a brand new house back 5 years ago. The VERY first hole I drilled went into a water pipe. I had no idea where the stop cock was. The whole kitchen and dining room flooded with about 1cm of water. Our brand new kitchen was completely sprayed with very hot water. It wasn’t my fault.. every pipe and wire was supposed to be within 10cm of a corner. This one hadn’t been fitted inside that spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:31 pm
noel1983 offline

Ouch! That’s one way to learn not to trust the spec! Guessing you use a pipe/stud finder now?!

What an awesome community where you share something silly you’ve done and there’s no ridicule just shared pain and stories!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:22 pm
siclark offline

By drilling some slightly wider holes first, I got both sides to be flush fit.

Posted on
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:46 pm
durosity offline

@noel1983 kinda although I’ve found those kinda tools very hit and miss (at least at reasonable prices) so I’m just more careful.. tend to drill a hole just through the plasterboard and then visually inspect it to see if there’s anything beyond!

@siclark nice job.. looks very professionally done!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:44 am
howartp offline

durosity wrote:
noel1983 wrote:
First hole I drilled I hit the screw

I moved into a brand new house back 5 years ago. The VERY first hole I drilled went into a water pipe. I had no idea where the stop cock was. The whole kitchen and dining room flooded with about 1cm of water. Our brand new kitchen was completely sprayed with very hot water.

Hahahahahahahaha!

noel1983 wrote:
What an awesome community where you share something silly you’ve done and there’s no ridicule just shared pain and stories!!

Oh sorry, must have missed that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:36 am
siclark offline

durosity wrote:
@noel1983 kinda although I’ve found those kinda tools very hit and miss (at least at reasonable prices) so I’m just more careful.. tend to drill a hole just through the plasterboard and then visually inspect it to see if there’s anything beyond!

@siclark nice job.. looks very professionally done!

Cheers. Was even more perfect until in went to take the last half mm off in search of perfection and drill skipped and tore a bit of the wood so not the cleanest edge. But it's on top of a door so no one will see it.

Now if only the device worked!! It's perfect at very close range to a powered device but temperamental at the 1m range it is now to 2 mains powered relays. Sometimes responds immediately for multiple goes, them stops for a few minutes or longer.
Weirdly seems to work better when the light switches that power the relay are turned on but no idea why.

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

siclark wrote:
It's perfect at very close range to a powered device but temperamental at the 1m range

Given that it's a wireless device I'm not totally surprised since that part of the door seemed pretty solid. Think about the science of what it's doing, it's no different than a Wifi signal. If you bore that into pretty solid wood then it has to use that tiny battery to power a radio that will escape the wood around it - and that's only if the next device is at a perfect 90 degree angle to it. Battery devices are almost never relay devices, so this needs to talk to a nearby Z-wave device that can relay the signal and if that device is beside the door then your 3" door needs to penetrate 36" of door to get to the switch. If there are any walls at angles or floors or anything else then that's a lot of material for a signal to have to break through.

I run into this a lot with clients who put their access points in strange locations, they don't realize that it seems like the access point is only 20 feet away but when you consider the angles of the walls and doors and the studs that are in the walls and everything else, it could be 100 feet away and heavily blocked.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 am
autolog offline

I have fitted this to eleven internal doors which are all wood and for the most part they have been flawless. One reports a battery status of 0% regardless of the battery state.

If your device can't successfully communicate beyond a metre then it is not working correctly IMHO. :)

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:07 pm
siclark offline

autolog wrote:
I have fitted this to eleven internal doors which are all wood and for the most part they have been flawless. One reports a battery status of 0% regardless of the battery state.

If your device can't successfully communicate beyond a metre then it is not working correctly IMHO. :)

Agree entirely. If a device that is designed to be fitted inside a door cannot communicate with a mains device only a metre away through a bit of wood then it is either faulty or a bad design.

Only problem is bought it 18 months ago and left in my spares box and now out of warranty at Vesternet.

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 pm
noel1983 offline

Have you asked them about it? They may help you out

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:35 pm
siclark offline

Yes... have done today, waiting for a reply. Fingers crossed.. Although also got another one coming from eBay as well as figure I can make use of another.

Posted on
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:39 pm
siclark offline

siclark wrote:
Yes... have done today, waiting for a reply. Fingers crossed.. Although also got another one coming from eBay as well as figure I can make use of another.

So strangely I gave it one last chance last night and took the sensor to the light switch and activated it a few times and it communicated. I then put it back in the door and it's been sending updated every 5 minutes since, and been sending notifications of door movement all day.

Confused.