Physical switches for LIFX lights

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:53 am
colinpartridge offline

Physical switches for LIFX lights

I'm looking at putting LIFX downlighters into a kitchen refurb but the one stumbling block I have is the lack of a dedicated Physical switch to control on/off and dimming in particular, as per the Philips Hue remote. I can obviously use a normal light switch to power them on and off, but then I lose any automated control I might want when they are powered down. Any clever thoughts on the most reliable way to achieve this?

Colin

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Physical switches for LIFX lights

If there's already a switch in place that controls those lights, why use LIFX bulbs? Put in a controllable switch and use normal bulbs instead.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:04 am
colinpartridge offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
If there's already a switch in place that controls those lights, why use LIFX bulbs? Put in a controllable switch and use normal bulbs instead.

The intention is to change the colour temperature of the lights during the day, day light temp during the day and then warm white in the evening, followed by party mode!
Colin

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 am
autolog offline

FlyingDiver wrote:

Maybe because the LIFX bulbs are coloured lamps and can give themed effects. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 am
autolog offline

Would the existing light switch only be controlling the LIFX downlighters, in which case you could potentially use the light switch to control a Fibaro relay (or similar) - the realy wouldn't switch off the bulbs but just record that the switch had been pressed. The z-wave request could be used as a trigger to turn the LIFX lamps on and off?

Alternatively you could use something like a ZRC90 to control the LIFX bulbs, which is what I do. :)

However, you really need to be able to physically switch the LIFX bulbs on and off (just in case they get into a bad state), so will probably need a separate switch that could do this. :)

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 am
Swancoat offline

Just an Insteon switch or something with no load attached and only acting as a button. Or any other kind of keypad, really.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:54 am
colinpartridge offline

autolog wrote:
Would the existing light switch only be controlling the LIFX downlighters, in which case you could potentially use the light switch to control a Fibaro relay (or similar) - the realy wouldn't switch off the bulbs but just record that the switch had been pressed. The z-wave request could be used as a trigger to turn the LIFX lamps on and off?

Alternatively you could use something like a ZRC90 to control the LIFX bulbs, which is what I do. :)

However, you really need to be able to physically switch the LIFX bulbs on and off (just in case they get into a bad state), so will probably need a separate switch that could do this. :)

I was thinking along those lines already, but using a qubino which has 3 switch inputs. What I need to be careful about is reliability and have a failsafe method of switching them to their default state if the z-wave network or my indigo server goes down.

Cheers

colin

Posted on
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 am
colinpartridge offline

Swancoat wrote:
Just an Insteon switch or something with no load attached and only acting as a button. Or any other kind of keypad, really.

Sadly the Insteon route isn't available to me as I'm in the UK.

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:28 am
noel1983 offline

Personally I would use a fibaro dimmer module in behind momentary switches.

That way you get the local switching thats directly connected to the lights so in case of indigo going down etc your lights still work.

You can press and hold to dim so you keep local dimming control and you’ll always have remote/automated control via zwave.

So long as you have space for a dimmer module behind the switches then you’re good.

May have to consider how many circuits you have but this to me would seem the best option for what you’re looking for.

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:55 am
colinpartridge offline

noel1983 wrote:
Personally I would use a fibaro dimmer module in behind momentary switches.

That way you get the local switching thats directly connected to the lights so in case of indigo going down etc your lights still work.

You can press and hold to dim so you keep local dimming control and you’ll always have remote/automated control via zwave.

So long as you have space for a dimmer module behind the switches then you’re good.

May have to consider how many circuits you have but this to me would seem the best option for what you’re looking for.

The Lifx units are wi-fi devices so whilst the on/off can be controlled by a physical switch the dimming is done via the network. I've currently removed the Lifx Units from the kitchen and reverted to just dimmable LEDs units to simplify things and I'm trying out a Qubino Dimmer unit with those.

Colin

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:00 am
noel1983 offline

Aaah I see.

Are there any colour dimmable LED bulbs out there that can have switch control of on/off/dim but app/automation control of colour? That I'm guessing is what you're really after?

Alternatively if there's particular 'scenes' or dim settings you want then how about a normal switch for the on/off then some kind of scene controller near the lightswitch or in a more convenient position?

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:24 am
colinpartridge offline

noel1983 wrote:
Aaah I see.

Are there any colour dimmable LED bulbs out there that can have switch control of on/off/dim but app/automation control of colour? That I'm guessing is what you're really after?

The Philips Hue system works well from that respect with its own physical remote control, with the ability to dim as well. I would use the hue downlights but they are not bright enough for working lights. I'm not that bothered by the colour aspect but it is nice to be able to control the white colour temperature.

Colin

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:18 pm
jh71283 offline

colinpartridge wrote:
noel1983 wrote:
Aaah I see.

The Philips Hue system works well from that respect with its own physical remote control, with the ability to dim as well. I would use the hue downlights but they are not bright enough for working lights. I'm not that bothered by the colour aspect but it is nice to be able to control the white colour temperature.

Colin

Have you tried the GU10 white ambiance lights from hue? They are brighter imo than the coloured ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:28 pm
colinpartridge offline

jh71283 wrote:
colinpartridge wrote:
noel1983 wrote:
Aaah I see.

Colin

Have you tried the GU10 white ambiance lights from hue? They are brighter imo than the coloured ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't tried them, no. I was going by their spec which quote 250 Lumen as opposed to the spec on the LIFX downlighter at 800 lumens, they need to be bright as they are the main working lights in the kitchen.

Page 1 of 1